Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is the V3 out yet?

Old 10-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Snaut Rocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the V3 out yet?

Is out yet or anybody know when it will be out.
Kind of wanting one for a buggy im doing.
Any info will be great.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 AM
The Hedgehog

Default RE: Is the V3 out yet?

It should be avaliable by the end of November.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Eman77

Academy V3? 2WD buggy, or...?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Chris_RC

Taking a long shot but Virtual RC? They have V3 now and V4 coming later. I know this isnt it though.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Lilredmachine

An MMM V3? For a Buggy?
Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Mamba Monster Max ESC guys...

I emailed CC, and they said to run with the V2 with their new software as it will solve 90% of the problems people are having, and if you have a problems later, send it in THEN to get it fixed. Or you can wait a few weeks to just buy the V3.

I'd rather do what I did. Buy the V2, reprogram (5mins max), DRIVE!!!! You'll get like 2 extra weeks of driving, may not have any problems (it's a buggy, not a 14lb MT), and you'll probably save a ton of cash. I got mine for $148 shipped, but for the V3 it'll probably be $169.99 (coupons?) plus shipping.

Just my $.02.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Kevin_N

My V3 shipped today. This was a replacement for a failed V2. I imagine retail V3's should be a matter of weeks.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Always Dreamin

Castle is probably in high demand right now for the V3's. With the new E-revo coming out, and I'm sure there is a long list for people wanting one. Probably a couple of weeks to maybe a month. Just don't get your hopes up and you wont be disappointed.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 PM
fusebmx13

The problem with the V2 ones is not even electronic related. It is due to a part of the case pocking the circuit board, it was never electronic related. Upgrading the software is not going to help.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:09 AM
SD2006

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

The problem with the V2 ones is not even electronic related. It is due to a part of the case pocking the circuit board, it was never electronic related. Upgrading the software is not going to help.
Is there a write-up somewhere that talks about this? I'd like to know the details. Thanks...
Old 10-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Snipin_Willy

The V3's are in production and the new cases are being made as well: slightly taller for fan and PCB clearance. The circuit boards are also slightly different in the BEC area. The problems with the V2's are believed to have been caused by one or a combination of the fan plug on the bottom of the PCB rubbing against the case, the BEC circuit, and possibly the 6.5mm plug shorting against some of the close components. Updating the firmware is also suppose to fix the BEC problems with the V2.
Some people that have shipped multiple V2 to CC for replacement months ago are just starting to get their e-mail notification that CC is shipping them back. Notice, that CC isn't shipping them all of their replacements at once, more like just 1 at a time. I think this is due to the high demand and the line of people waiting for the new V3's

CC's firmware release notes
http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads/frh-mamba.html
Old 10-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin
Castle is probably in high demand right now for the V3's. With the new E-revo coming out, and I'm sure there is a long list for people wanting one. Probably a couple of weeks to maybe a month. Just don't get your hopes up and you wont be disappointed.
All I can say is, hopefully this will be commonly available (stores and online) by Xmas. And with the motor.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Eman77

Ah, so it's the MMM V3, got it.

One has to wonder how the heck Castle (or any company) could release a product that was so flawed. At least, flawed based on all I've read here. Did they never bother to slap it in a MT or Truggy and actually test it for a few battery packs in a real life scenario?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:53 AM
The Hedgehog

I am 100% sure they did bother to test it out. But regardless one with th emotor combo is going into my E-buggy for next year. The price is killer for what you get...
Old 10-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

I am 100% sure they did bother to test it out. But regardless one with th emotor combo is going into my E-buggy for next year. The price is killer for what you get...
I'm being negative of course...I'm sure they did test it. (And for the record to folks, I do own a MM 5700 and love it). But it just seems like the MMM was loooong awaited, delayed, finally came out, and seems to be pretty darn glitchy. And now there's a V3 already? Just seems like the whole thing was done wrong. Not sure exactly what was wrong, but my first guess was lack of thorough testing...

Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Access

I love it how everyone is an expert in their own mind... seriously we don't know what went wrong or why things turned out the way they did. All we can do is hope this "V3" is 'it'.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Access

I love it how everyone is an expert in their own mind... seriously we don't know what went wrong or why things turned out the way they did. All we can do is hope this "V3" is 'it'.
I'm not claiming to be an expert on this (if that is indeed your implication), but you can't deny that an outsider looking in, seeing version 3 of a product occurring what seems like very shortly after the product was first introduced seems to imply a premature release of V1.

It's not unprecendented in hardware, software, etc, but I can't help what I'm thinking on it.

I test software for a living - if you see us push out 3 versions of a code base in a short span of time (relative to other products we produce), it's pretty evident that something went wrong, be it buggy code, poor testing, or poor planning on the project in general. The principles still hold pretty true for the process behind hardware development and release.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Access

My underlying point was just that we can pontificate or such all we want but in the end all you can do is wait, hope, try, etc. Everything has a story behind it but how can we know the true story here? A simple oversight? An incompetent engineer or tester? A product rushed out? Sabotage by a competitior? Just bad luck? The real story behind these failures rarely gets out, otherwise we only know what we're told and it's best to just deal with it and move on.

"poor planning on the project in general" yeah don't even get me started, everyone whose worked in the industry irl any length of time has a few horror stories.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Eman77

My underlying point was just that we can pontificate or such all we want but in the end all you can do is wait, hope, try, etc. Everything has a story behind it but how can we know the true story here? A simple oversight? An incompetent engineer or tester? A product rushed out? Sabotage by a competitior? Just bad luck? The real story behind these failures rarely gets out, otherwise we only know what we're told and it's best to just deal with it and move on.

"poor planning on the project in general" yeah don't even get me started, everyone whose worked in the industry irl any length of time has a few horror stories.
Understood, all we can do is speculate. But as a human being, I can't help but speculate.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:09 PM
BigShrimpah

I will be sending my V2 back tomorrow. It stopped working once I ran 5s through it in my 1/8th scale buggy. It stopped in a strange way though. The ESC still powers on, powers the servo, and allows me to reprogram it, but it will no longer power the motor.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Snaut Rocket

Well i hope they fixed it.
Cause for 60 dollars less i might as well get the mm with a bec.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Evader ---> MGT

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

I understand the ESC case is flawed, but Castle Creations told me directly the software would fix many problems. The case is just a fix for a few of the plethora of problems.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Snipin_Willy

These are some pics of the V2 and V3.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99059.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1057737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46121.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1057738  
Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 PM
SD2006

Access - It seems to me you're bothered when people might know a little more about some of this than you do. Is it mostly because you think they're just speculative techno posers? If you don't mind me asking, what do you do in real life?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Evader ---> MGT

ORIGINAL: Snipin_Willy

These are some pics of the V2 and V3.
The pics won't load for me. Can you host them on Photobucket or something? I'm so curious to wee what they look like!

NVM, it worked... wierd...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.