Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

VXL?!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:34 PM
rustlerduster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VXL?!!!

I wanna get a VXl im looking for both racing and bashing and some on-road use, im leaning toward the stampede and u can lower it to make it better for street so idk and wat wuld be the speed on a 6 cell 3600 mah for a VXL?

any suggestions?

-Thnks Plz Help!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: VXL?!!!

I think a 6 cell NiMh will make a Rustler/Stampede VXL do 35+. In order to get the crazy fast speeds you need to go Lipo. If you want to race and bash I personally would get a Rustler. If you lower the Stampede to get a lower CG you are also losing suspension travel which you need when jumping.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Chris_RC

Dont get the vxl for racing. It coggs bad and you need a sensored motor for racing. I would get the Novak Havoc. $140, sensored, programmable esc, reliable motor, what else could you want?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 PM
BigShrimpah

If you want to do any type of real club racing, then a Rustler sure wouldn't be in my list of choices. They just handle like a boat compared to some of the Associated and Losi trucks. They do make excellent bashers though.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:18 PM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

I'm a traxxas fan, but I never call them something they're not. The rustler/stampede/bandit is in no way a racer in stock form, and even when they have a jangified chassis, the spindle conversion, and all the bells and whistles for racing, you'd be better off with a T4, saving a junkload of money. They handle really poorly when stock.

The vxl is not a good racing system, either, because it cogs like crazy.

But, when we talk basher, traxxas is number one. These vehicles are tough, extremely durable.

Your choice. Just remember, racers tend to be less durable, bashers tend to handle poorly. Best of both worlds is an e-firestorm from hpi, but that's a whole new chapter

Btw, normal six cells will get you around 30 on a pede and 35 on a rusty. Stock gearing. If you use matched packs, they act like nice seven cell packs. I can squeeze 37 out of my stampede with a matched pack/vxl/tall gearing. Radared by my neighborhood cop
Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 PM
ludeman

Don't know what you are talking about cogging mine sure does not! I agree a Rustler is not a racer but is a great basher!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:14 AM
supercharged347

Yea, here we go again. Whats up with these people that say VXL's cog so bad ??? I have one in my firestorm, and had NEVER experienced cogging. Then I read about it, and someone said it was when going extrememly slow...so ya know what, I tried it. Sure enough, when trying to go at a speed where the motor is barely turning (probably like one tenth of a mile per hour)...it cogged !! Damn....I'd never have known just driving the car at ANY normal speed...but ya, there ya have it. If you want to run your car at under 1 mph you could experience cogging...so you've been warned !
Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 PM
rustlerduster

i dont mean competitive racing just going fast does any1 have a stampede vxl tht culd tell me some good stuff bout them and if they are good bashers im looking to do some serious beating here!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:08 PM
shaunmichaeljohnson

the VXL system stock is really quite crap.
yeah so what if the cogging is bad at low speed.
the problem is that it also coggs sometimes on acceleration from a slow speed.
so if you have to slow down for a corner (i race so i know how much of a pain it is) and the ntry to accelerate out of it it just stops altogether as if the ESC sences that the motor isnt turning then it'll stop providing power to it untill you pump the trigger.

the best way around this problem is to run a sencered motor with it, that'll get rid of your cogging problem.

and then there's the LVC...what a POS!!
you get a lipo and punch the throttle, the voltage drops just a little and BAM! it's in half power mode[:@][:@][:@]
sometimes when going very slow with my 3s 8000mah lipo it'll go to total couoff from hte LCV mode[:@]

so if you HAVE to run the velineon ESC and race with it you need:
novak LVC if running lipo's
and a sencored-brushless or brushed motor.

and another thing...my velineon ESC coggs more and more as it warms up!, not too warm and i have the fan but it's sooo damn anoying!

shaun
Old 10-24-2008, 05:05 PM
supercharged347

Thats pretty strange....I bash mine alot, and have tried it at a track. I NEVER experience any cogging, or cutting out from voltage drop until the battery is actually dieing !!! Seems to me, if your haveing that problem, you need better batteries anyway. Your cogging under acceleration could be the batteries too !
Old 10-24-2008, 05:22 PM
TIGER76

the VXL system stock is really quite crap.
yeh no cogging here either sounds like you got the duff one then lol

use the vxl on a 8cell m8 you will be loving it you dont need lipo yet get used to running nimhs
My pede is hard as hell to not flip over 50mph so i would pick the rustler over the pede for racing or even the bandit but the pede looks awesome at high speed [8D]
Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Barber420

ORIGINAL: BigShrimpah

If you want to do any type of real club racing, then a Rustler sure wouldn't be in my list of choices. They just handle like a boat compared to some of the Associated and Losi trucks. They do make excellent bashers though.
I agree. I personally don't own any Traxxas. I am an AE man all the way!!! However, my friends have them and they are good starter vehicles and work well for bashing or "friendly" racing. They can be made to handle quite well, but it costs you about $350-400 in mods. Where as my 17 year old RC10T has NO mods and still wipes the floor up with most newer vehicles! If you want to do "real" racing, which I don't think you seem to, then by all means buy an Associated RC10T4!!! If you want a basher that you can have fun with and race you buds, go with a Rustler VXL. The brushed Xl-5 versions aren't good in grass or thick sand really, but with the VXL power that becomes a non-issue.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:55 PM
kinzuagolfer

Sidewinder or MM with the VXL motor would be great.
A esc that has more programming options and a good strong motor. A fine combo.

My neighbor has a rustler VXL that runs as it should. No cogging. No premature lvc trips.
I myself have a quark esc with the VXL motor. Very pleased. Only issue I had was loose screws on the can. Easy fix with an allen wrench.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 PM
shaunmichaeljohnson

my batts are ok and yes my velineon ESC has been through hell and back (not your average basher[>:])
it has served me well but it still coggs like mad!
the LVC is really rubbish on 2s lipo's and the 3s is resonable if i drive right.

i got so sick of the LVC on 2s 6000mah lipo that i run that lipo with hte LVC off!!!!!![X(][X(]
that's how bad it is.

but i like the motor and i'm upgrading to a MM (or MMM for bragging rights) soon.
my friends VXL esc's plugs came out so we fixed it and he got a mamba, put hte VXL esc in the bonzer[>:][>:]

i wish the mamba had the EZ set for race mode and bash mode

shaun
Old 10-24-2008, 09:52 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Ive never had any issues with a VXL cogging, but the LVC cutting out on 3S too early is a known issue and has been discussed here and on the traxxas forum. My theory is, its definatly a pain but its better to have it cut off too early than too late.

I sent my esc back and traxxas repalced it and the new one was fine. I have since sold it but it was a great system. One thing I liked about the VXL esc was that it was a piece of cake to switch the LVC on and off. Just hit the set button for like 15 seconds and it was done. The mamba you have to either hook up to a computer or go through a sequence of commands. Same as the novak systems.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:09 AM
deanR

Alright on 3s the vxl does not cog. I ran my electric converted nitro rustler at the track and it was the fastest thing there, (down the strait, and jumped the farthest). i was doing a tripple that 8ths scales were doing. I have a vxl pede and it is probably one of the more fun trucks i own. its light and fast. I would get it, and it still wheelies on my orion rocket pack.
just my experience
Old 10-25-2008, 06:02 AM
ludeman

ORIGINAL: shaunmichaeljohnson

and then there's the LVC...what a POS!!
you get a lipo and punch the throttle, the voltage drops just a little and BAM! it's in half power mode[:@][:@][:@]
sometimes when going very slow with my 3s 8000mah lipo it'll go to total couoff from hte LCV mode[:@]

shaun
Dude it's your battery, same thing happened to my MaxAmps 6000. When it was new it was sweet but now when I punch it does the same thing yours does. I thought it was my ESC as well till I got a new battery and now no cut off. Sad fact is Lipo's just go down hill after a while. It sucks when expensive batteries start failing but I have been running mine for over a year now with lots of cycles on it. I still run it, I just turn off the LVC and only run it for 15min. It doesn't get hot or bloat and when I put it on the charger each cell still has 3.7 to 3.8v so I don't think i'm in to much danger doing like that.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:19 AM
shaunmichaeljohnson

just had a run today.
the ESC cogged less toady on 3s 8k lipo.
it seems to occour only when it gets hot after a LOOONG bashing session or a long race.

i have to admit that if traxxas brought out a programming card for it it'd be really sweet.
i wanna also see it waterproofed and not just water resistant like it is now (although ive had mine pretty wet before :P)

it's been a great ESC but i wouldent buy again (exept maby the new version)
it has been run completely submerged in the dam by accident, covered in mud, covered in dust then mud and mud slurry, dragged along the ground behind the rustler and all kinds of things.

it's dont it's time and it's unreal that it's still working almost the same as it did new.

yes the battery (2s especially) drops it's voltage under load and that sets off the LVC but it does not disenguage it when hte voltage comes back up again
the mamba is like this, when hte LCV kicks in it's only single stage but if it gets a voltage drop it stops and then when the voltages come back up again it fires back up.
that's the difference.
i'd like to pimp out my VXL esc one day, novak smart stop (or somthing) and get a sencoered motor to stop cogging.

traxxas is on the right track with this thing but it's just a few things that let it down.

shaun
Old 10-25-2008, 11:13 AM
adrictan

I'm just ordered a Bandit VXL. Would it be good?
Old 10-25-2008, 06:38 PM
deanR

it should be fine dont worry about it. even on 6 cells mine doesnt cog
Old 10-26-2008, 05:02 PM
sxcurtin

vxl bandits rock!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 PM
tashspop

no cogging from my vxl esc. it'll be fine to race with, but like everyone said its hard to compete with a rustler.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 AM
adrictan

Rustler is a truggy while Bandit's a buggy right? In terms of speed, I assume the Bandit is faster while the Rustler will be able to take more jumps?
Old 10-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Barber420

Rustler is a stadium truck. A truggy is a term stolen from the full scale car world that gets misused a lot in the RC car world. A truggy is a big(tires, lift, etc...), 4WD, big power truck that has been shortened and bobbed and sometimes even boat hulled (it's hard to explain look it up on google). They are designed for extreme off roading and are excellent rock crawlers and mudders. I personally I have never seen an RC that is called a "truggy" that actually is like a real world truggy! In fact, I don't think I've ever seen an RC "truggy" that is even 4WD!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:42 PM
MuggyDude

Are you kidding me!!!!? My muggy is a 4wd truggy, the 8T is a 4wd truggy, the Jammin X1 and X2 are 4wd truggies, the hpi hellfire is a 4wd truggy, the mugen trucks are 4wd truggies, there is a Xray 4wc truggy! Do I have to continue? LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.