Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is Traxxas using drill motors?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Redvanmafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Traxxas using drill motors?

they dont use "drill motors" traxxas just gets a generic 550 motor and slaps TITAN 550 on it, that seems to make sence to me
Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 AM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: twindaddy66

I hear ya. But isn't it true you can only do this with certain motors? Something to do with the timing being fixed or adjustable that the polarity cannot be reversed??????

Some clarification on this would be great......
Standard drill motors have no advance or retard. RC specific motors may, that's why you will find motors such as the t-600/s-600 are explicitely either a forwards or reverse motor. The majority of drills will spin both clockwise and anti clockwise, so the motors have to as well, you just hit a switch to reverse the polarity.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:48 PM
twindaddy66

For drill motors that makes perfect sense, I was questioning those with advanced timing and such. Thanks for the clarification, I need all the help I can get!!
I guess the safe thing to do is contact the seller/maker and find out for sure if the motor is reversable (ie ERevo) or has timing mods when motors such as Checkpoints, or Trinities etc. But for "drill" motors, I guess it doesn't matter then.....cool!

Ps...I installed that drill motor on the EMaxx and disconnected the other Titan. The drill motor by itself ran the EMaxx pretty darn good, even on half charged batts. Gonna try full charge tomorrow. I still call it a drill motor cause thats where aI got it from...LOL

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:58 PM
cwczx3
My Feedback: (3)

Wonder how this would do and if its comparable to the new titan 775?

http://store.kysanelectronics.com/se...sh-7513/Detail
Old 11-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: cwczx3

Wish I could tell you, but it's not out yet. That would be a beast in a Stampede on 4s though. Atleast for a brushed motor it would.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 PM
calvino

i say for the price and the power drill motor's are extremely nice. Somewhere on youtube there is a video of someone pulling 2 (little) kids in a plastic wagon with his e-maxx powered by prety much 2 drill motors (they came from a "powerwheels"). Since they're a dime a dozen at places like All electronics, and other surplus places i say they're the way to go. If drills are known for having lots of power, why not get it. IMO alot of the 'stock' motors in cars are maybe the same with a few differences[8D]
Old 11-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: cwczx3

That probably is the new Titan 775... At this size can there is little choice other than to go for a drill motor.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM
buzzbait00
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

You'd need to look for a higher RPM motor. The one above would run 12,500 RPM at 6v, so would give you (given efficiency loss) around 22,000rpm on a fully charged 11.1v lipo (say 12 volts), with more torque than the Titan 12t. You could gear it up to make up the rpm difference but that may affect both the life and the performance of the motor, worth a try though. if you were to run twin 7 cell packs through an E-maxx or E-savage ESC though, you would have an absolute rocket ship on your hands.
This thread is getting GOOD! Im needing a big improvement in my stock tamiya tb-02.Im looking for something close to my friends Pede VXL.How many RPM'S is a VXL turning?Can we find a "drill" motor thats a rocket in a 1/10 single motor in the 7.2 to a 3s lipo range?Im useing a tazar esc rated doun to a 15T
Old 11-11-2008, 03:36 PM
kahnen

ORIGINAL: buzzbait00

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

You'd need to look for a higher RPM motor. The one above would run 12,500 RPM at 6v, so would give you (given efficiency loss) around 22,000rpm on a fully charged 11.1v lipo (say 12 volts), with more torque than the Titan 12t. You could gear it up to make up the rpm difference but that may affect both the life and the performance of the motor, worth a try though. if you were to run twin 7 cell packs through an E-maxx or E-savage ESC though, you would have an absolute rocket ship on your hands.
This thread is getting GOOD! Im needing a big improvement in my stock tamiya tb-02.Im looking for something close to my friends Pede VXL.How many RPM'S is a VXL turning?Can we find a "drill" motor thats a rocket in a 1/10 single motor in the 7.2 to a 3s lipo range?Im useing a tazar esc rated doun to a 15T

Unfortunately most drills don't need high rpm motors since they require torque more to turn screws. There are some high ones out there but I don't think they will be close to a vxl.
Here is a vid of mine with a drill motor( a 540 sized one) in a Stadium Blitzer on 4s. Acceleration was incredible, top speed wasn't to quick (maybe high 20s) but then again I was limited (only two choices, 13t or 16t pinion) for gearing in the blitzer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KPlBM4DKMM
Old 11-13-2008, 12:52 PM
buzzbait00

Does anybody know the RPM'S at 7.2v and amp draw of a lets say 12T tiatan or hpi or any 1/10 scale r/c 12T,17T or 19T motor?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:05 PM
buzzbait00

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

they dont use "drill motors" traxxas just gets a generic 550 motor and slaps TITAN 550 on it, that seems to make sence to me
What kinda "generic 550 motor"is what Im tryin to find out
Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 PM
coryjones

So let me ask you this i have the new e maxx 16.8v. I am running 2 8.4v 4600mah batteries what is the baddest drill motors i could go with in it? I would like to be able to pull wheelies and at the least maintain my top speed if not increase it. I am kicking my self in the but for giving away my 18v dewalt combo set now. Lol I bought a new 28v milwalkee lithium ion set. That drill has given me 2 black eyes it has some power.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 AM
flatout->

I have been out out of the electric scene for a long time and will hopefully be coming back in again soon. I have forgotten most stuff about motors. Have I got this right- A lower winding gives more torque and rpm? And a single wind would give more punch over a triple wind because it allows a higher amp draw?

And if I'm right about the first question, can someone explain why i would get more rpm with a lower turn motor?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 AM
KRO

I am using a pair of the Mabuchi RS550 motors and I think they have more power than the Titans did , top speed is the same but it will wheelie from a dead stop no problem .

Bought them from Banebots ...
[link]http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M2-RS550-120[/link]

The only bad part is you have to grind a flat spot on the shaft and the shaft is shorter so the pinion gears dont dont sit on the shaft all the way , they work though .

Might try a 775 motor next if my MMM combo doesnt come soon .....
Old 12-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Access

Lower winding gives more RPM (per volt). Torque is a more complicated thing, but if all you do is decrease winds, the torque at the motor itself is generally equal, but sometimes less. Regardless, you'll have to gear a lower-wind motor less than a higher-wind motor b'cos of the relative difference in RPM vs. torque (if the RPM increases while the torque stays the same, the ratio has gone up, so the gearing must go down to keep it optimal).

The reason for the increase in RPM is the electric inductance / impedence in the coils. When the coil switches into position, it must go from de-energized to energized, and then back again as it switches out of position. If you fix the voltage, the amount of time this takes is related to the inducatance, which is related to the number of winds, the core meteriel used, etc.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:24 AM
flatout->

thanks for the reply.

So going by what you have said, there will be no significant difference in torque between, say a 21 turn motor and a 12 turn motor, however the 12T motor would have a higher rpm?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Access

It depends on how they are designed.

1) With brushed, there is some 'drag' from the armature switch that is proportional to the RPM. So, as RPMs increase, torque will naturally decrease a bit. For brushless, this is much less of a factor, you only have the bearing drag to worry about. Other things to consider here would be things like shaft-mounted fans (ie. Traxxas Titan motors).

2) At rest, the torque of a motor is directly proportional to the current and the turns, though this will saturate at some point. This means if you have 10A current, a 20T motor will have twice the starting torque of a 10T motor.

3) Once things are turning, if the motors are from the same family, identical in every way except for the number of turns, then it will be pretty much the same (if geared right).

But, for brushed motors (3) is rarely true. There's a lot of other factors to consider here, magnet strength, coil core meteriel, brush and armature quality, etc. You take something like a 51-turn crawler motor and that is built for maximum torque. That might mean large, oversized magnets, an oversized armature to conduct the maximum amount of current, and so on. There's tons of other tradeoffs here to consider, besides just the turns.

Remember that torque is not in reality constant, it always falls off as RPM increases, and when you hit the maximum no-load RPM, the torque is essentially zero. So if you were to compare two different RPM curves, from a 10-turn motor and a 20-turn motor, all else being equal, torque from the 20-turn would fall off faster than the 10-turn as RPM increased.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:23 PM
flatout->

ORIGINAL: Access

It depends on how they are designed.

1) With brushed, there is some 'drag' from the armature switch that is proportional to the RPM. So, as RPMs increase, torque will naturally decrease a bit. For brushless, this is much less of a factor, you only have the bearing drag to worry about. Other things to consider here would be things like shaft-mounted fans (ie. Traxxas Titan motors).

2) At rest, the torque of a motor is directly proportional to the current and the turns, though this will saturate at some point. This means if you have 10A current, a 20T motor will have twice the starting torque of a 10T motor.

3) Once things are turning, if the motors are from the same family, identical in every way except for the number of turns, then it will be pretty much the same (if geared right).

But, for brushed motors (3) is rarely true. There's a lot of other factors to consider here, magnet strength, coil core meteriel, brush and armature quality, etc. You take something like a 51-turn crawler motor and that is built for maximum torque. That might mean large, oversized magnets, an oversized armature to conduct the maximum amount of current, and so on. There's tons of other tradeoffs here to consider, besides just the turns.

Remember that torque is not in reality constant, it always falls off as RPM increases, and when you hit the maximum no-load RPM, the torque is essentially zero. So if you were to compare two different RPM curves, from a 10-turn motor and a 20-turn motor, all else being equal, torque from the 20-turn would fall off faster than the 10-turn as RPM increased.
So in laymans terms-

Typical characteristics of a higher turn motor would be-
>med-high starting torque
>torque is less consistent proportional to rpm
>low no load rpm

and a lower turn motor would have-
>low-med starting torque
>torque is more consistent proportional to rpm
>high no load rpm

brushless motors-
have same characteristics only they are more efficient

Am I close?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Access

Kinda. But with brushed, remember thare are a lot of exceptions to those rules, a given type of motor can be unique depending on its design.

With brushless, the rules are more applicable, especially across a 'family' of motors. ie. the Castle CM36 family 4600KV, 5700KV, 6900KV, 7700KV, and 9000KV motors.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 AM
flatout->

There is another term a see a lot when relating to brushed motors, 'single', 'double', 'triple' and 'quad'. Is this referring to the actual number of strands of wire which is used to make up the turns? And what difference would there be between a single and a triple?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:20 PM
coryjones

I have a e maxx 16.8 I am running 2 5,000mah nicad battery what would be a good motors for it i wont something big but not big enough it is useless?What rpm range and torque rang should i be looking for?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

A single wind motor should be better for top speed, where as a triple wind motor will have better torque and acceleration. Yes, it does refer to how many strands of wire are in the motor.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Access

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/15/1.html

Look at the very end of this document under 'motors'.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM
kahnen

ORIGINAL: coryjones

I have a e maxx 16.8 I am running 2 5,000mah nicad battery what would be a good motors for it i wont something big but not big enough it is useless?What rpm range and torque rang should i be looking for?

Since this is posted in this drill motor thread I assume that is the kind of motor your looking for info on. Here is a couple of options for replacement for the titans.
http://store.kysanelectronics.com/se...h-550PF/Detail -Basically the same rpms but cost less.
http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M2-RS550-120 -2,020 rpms more.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:10 PM
flatout->

ORIGINAL: Access

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/15/1.html

Look at the very end of this document under 'motors'.
thankyou, sums it up nicely

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.