Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Sooooo.... ive a b-day comming up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 AM
sxcurtin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sooooo.... ive a b-day comming up!

my birthday is at the end of the month and i was planning on $200 more into my baby (bandit) and i had a few questions for the pros!
i planning on doing a permanent (somewhat) waterproof job on it. im getting a Traxxas 2075 servo.
i was thinking of filling all gaps and holes in the reciever with silicone. and for the esc (VXL) put insulation tape over the button. im not sure what to do with the motor (VXL), I was considering getting heat transfer compound and sealing it with that. as i presume silicone would melt. i want to be able to drive it in the snow HARD without having to do any more. also i have a 3s 4000mah lipo.
what are yer opinions on this?

also i was considering locking the diff. i do speed runs alot and drive on my small sand track. i like drifting sliding and the like. i dont like the way when i punch it doing a speed run it either swings to one side or lifts one wheel off the ground and rolls. causing alot of serious balloning.
basicly i want this to be the last big amount i spend on this baby.
any suggestions comments or opions are very welcome.
thanks!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 AM
RC_Basher20
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Sooooo.... ive a b-day comming up!

you may want to get http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTKL4&P=ML versus buying a new servo
pack the diff with good ole' silly puddy
ya know those medicine tubes? you can put the motor in that and go from there, i saw someone once do this
Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM
sxcurtin

i know what your saying but my bandit came with a 2018 servo and i want more powerful and responsive steering. also its faster!
i think i saw somewhere how to lock the diff by moving gears. i live in ireland and we dont have silly putty.
what are you saying about the motor? cover it with a plastic cyclinder?
i have a cooling fan on it that i would like to have on it all the time as it does a great job. the plastic cyclinder idea is good but i have HEAT!
thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 AM
RC_Basher20
My Feedback: (4)

id think the cold air would help, it would cool the tube, making inside cold, idk lol
im not sure, but one of http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...CH=SERVO+GEARS might work, like the gears might be bigger or slower but like i said idk and im not the smartest bulb
Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 AM
sxcurtin

im not the smartest bulb either!!!!hahahaha
i would like to be able to leave the motor waterproof all year round. incase i hit a puddle![X(]
Old 11-11-2008, 10:18 AM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

Get a slash for winter and rain driving and keep the bamdit for speed runs. there really isnt a way to water proof it with out a load of heat building up. I woulndt chance it.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:24 AM
sxcurtin

im not buying a slash!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

ok ok just a suggestion. there isnt really a way to waterproof it with out a lot of heat but try some silicon, will just really heat up the esc, also the motor is fine for like light snow.its closed, just dont submerge it and you should be fine.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:48 AM
sxcurtin

ya thanks for the suggestion but if im going buying another rc it will be something different like a summit!
i was thinking the same but heat transfer compound should id say. im getting a fan for the esc and one for the cooling fin on the motor so that should help! im also getting a temp gun.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:21 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

BAH hitting a puddle won't fry a buggy... you shoulda seen my evader i ran it at the track right after it rain there was puddles and lots of mud, it was a mess i go the motor covered in dirt, mud and all sorts of crap, same with the servo, heck i never even really cleaned that out yet and that was in like july, IME unless you're doing what traxxas was doing with thier emaxx in some of the vids you'll be set, and i think BL motors are more water proff than brushed, but just cuz of how the VXL motors are designed i'ld put some silicon where the motor leads come out... other than you should be good, i've had 1/4 of snow blanketing my ENTIRE chassie and it's all happy still

the lug
Old 11-11-2008, 05:37 PM
1maxdude

Locking the diff would be a bad idea. It will make it the exact opposite you'd expect. The rear end will slide out on you and would not make for stable speed runs. What kind of tires do you use on your speed runs? Anacondas are extremely bad tires to put any real power to. I had that problem when I was doin speed runs with my rustler. Using a MM6900 with 3s lipo or 2s even, the tires ballooned so bad up front as well. My steering was non existent because the tires were making very little contact with the road, no matter how much weight I put up there. And it'd wheely all the time making it difficult to get started and/or build up speed. All this changed when I got 2.2 hpi truck radials, its an on road tire that doesn't balloon, my steering is very responsive, it will not wheely if I try, and gave me overall stability. I'd spend a buck or two on new tires and wheels for that aspect if you run on a nice stretch of paved road.

I'd put your lipo in a ziploc and seal it up around the wires if you're gonna be runnin in wet conditions. Also you might consider wrapping the connections up with electrical tape or something to keep water from getting in there. Not sure how the motors or speed controllers are laid out on these, but maybe you could epoxy or silicone around the heat sink of the esc and the motor leads on the motor like that dude above me mentioned. Wrap up your motor wire connections with electrical tape as well, you don't want to speed up corrosion of those plugs if you can help it.