Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What's the best Brushless motor for Off-road?

Old 12-24-2008, 12:41 PM
MuggyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best Brushless motor for Off-road?

I know of the main ones, VXL, Xcelorin, CC, but what about those adds for aftermarket brushless motors to upgrade your current CC, Traxxas, and Losi motors? I think the add I saw was for sensored motors. The add also said you can use these motors with your original Velineon, Mamba Max, and Xcelorin ESCs. This add was in the Feb issue of RC Car Action. Has anyone had any experience with these motors? Are they better than the Losi, Traxxas, and CC motors?[sm=confused.gif]

Also, what ESC and motor combo is best for off-road racing with a super hopped up Rusty VXL with a 23/86 gearing and a Ener-G 7 cell 4600 mah matched pack from www.promatchracing.com? They can be from different companies. I'm looking to spend around $200 on it.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: What's the best Brushless motor for Off-road?

Look into Novak motors. The most reliable motors you can get. If you dnt run anything lower than a 27t brushed motor then get the Havoc esc and 8.5/10.5/13.5/17.5 for $150.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Metallover

The best would be Neu, Followd by Lehner and Medusa, then after a segnificant performance drop it would go down to the Fiegao, CC, and VXL. I don't know much about hackers, but they will be up with lehner and medusa. Medusa's are the best bang for the buck.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Access

Didn't Hacker have some problems in the past few years though? I know they were big several years ago, but a few years ago all their car stuff disappeared and they didn't return until recently. Like Tekin, only for a different reasons. How is their stuff now?

I agree with Metallover otherwise, it's hard to beat a Neu, I have the new "Castle-Neu" motor as Castle is calling it and that is amazing.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Metallover

The best would be Neu, Followd by Lehner and Medusa, then after a segnificant performance drop it would go down to the Fiegao, CC, and VXL. I don't know much about hackers, but they will be up with lehner and medusa. Medusa's are the best bang for the buck.
Are neu esc's/motors sensored?
Old 12-24-2008, 04:27 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

no neu's are sensorless, I think
Old 12-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Access

I thought they were made-to-order so they could make them either way if it was requested.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:33 PM
MuggyDude

How much do Neus cost? Where can you get them? Can I use the MM ESC with them? What about Lehner?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Druss

Neu's are VERY expensive....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...filter_mfr=180

$150 to $250 for the motor.

I have one in a Trex 450 SE on 4S... it screams power and stays cool. Very efficient.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Longhair

A FLM Savage BL Conversion with 6s Lipo is going to have different requirements than a Tamiya Durga buggy.

More information is needed
[ul][*] Vehicle[*] Battery Configuration[*] Spur / Pinion Gearing[*] Speed vs. Runtime
[/ul]
Old 12-24-2008, 07:29 PM
MuggyDude

It's for a Rustler vxl with 23/86 gearing. I want a cool motor that is fast and has long run times. I will be using an Ener-G 7 cell 4600 mah matched nihm battery from pro match racing.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:33 PM
MuggyDude

I would also like to ask what would be the best off-road combo for above with an ESC and Motor, they can be from different companies. I am looking for something around $200. I'm thinking the MM ESC and ther VXL motor. it can be a little over $200 too.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:55 PM
overrev

Mamba max 5700 on ebay for 169.99. You can always get a different motor later.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:57 PM
MuggyDude

i already said that I was thinking MM Esc and VXL motor, the Vxl motor is better than the CC ones. Any other thoughts you guys?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 PM
overrev

That combination will cost you more and isn't that much better. Just buy a medusa and be done with it. I have the mamba max and geared properly doesn't run hot. But after christmas I will be buying a medusa from rc monster.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Druss

I have both VXL and CC systems, don't prefer one over the other you just need to gear properly.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:55 AM
MuggyDude

Medusas cost a little too much for me.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

VXL's can have cogging issues sometimes, depending on what kind of battery you have. Personally, I would stay away from them. Go to Novak's website and find a refurbished havoc or GTB setup and buy that. It'll be cheap, new, reliable, and last a long time. You can't really go wrong with a Novak. Sure, they're not the absolute best, but they are way up there.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:08 AM
vedardo

its the new mamba monster combo 2200kv
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Access

Yeah the motor in that monster is probably the best motor to be found in a hobby shop or just about anywhere for that price.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:26 PM
traxxas4ever

i have always used sensor less motors but what is the best of the best in the sensored category. mostly asking becasue of the new mamba max pro.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Access

I think Novak is pretty much still on top for their large selection of tuning rotors, 'L' series motors (as needed), and their easily torn down 'ballistic' motors. Though if you are doing stock racing Hacker E40's provide ~20% more torque than an equivelent-turn Novak (pre-ballistic) at equivelent RPM in dyno tests, at the cost of efficiency (look at the dyno tests they did on rctech). Do not that if your track follows the official ROAR rules, the use of tuning rotors is now illegal for the most part (see the ROAR racing site for exact details).

If Castle would take what they learned in making the Neu-Castle motor and put that knowledge into making a good 1/10th scale motor, sensored, that would be the king of them all, but they are yet to do that. Not much has changed in a year really, though the mamba max pro ESC could change stock racing if it lives up to what castle says about a hybrid sensored/sensorless mode.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:30 AM
gman1

You can get this motor for less than $40 dollars and have more fun than some of the trendier names that everyone seems to hover towards. The following motor is no different than most of the BL's motors out there on the market, although i will admit from what I hear, the Neu and Medusa motors are at the very top of the BL food chain, lol. I think maybe since both those company's started off as helicopter/plane motor producers if i'm not mistaken, which have been used longer in the application of flight as opposed to road applications. So therefore both companies have been in the game longer and therefore have more experience in the Brushless Motor Technology. just my 2 Cent's for ya. Oh yeah here is the $40 6000 KV 5.5T motor I was talking about. Produced by the famous HobbyWing Company : http://www.hobbypartz.com/rc-car-bru...0m-6000kv.html They also carry combo deals as well: http://www.hobbypartz.com/brushless-...bo-system.html
Old 10-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Snipin_Willy

I'm very surprised nobody has brought up Tekin motors, T8 and Redline pro race motors. I've been using one in my RC8 conversion for a while and it has very good power with a sensor port optional.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:00 AM
traxxas4ever

i was thinking about the tekin motors. however not too many people seem to use them or have much to say about them. i was going to go for a sensorless tekin motor a while ago until i heard about the mamba max pro using sensored motors too. are the teking sensored motors good. by good i mean decent power and speed without overheating(which is why i am looking to switch motors from my 5700kv castle motor)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.