Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

My new E-revo, so disappointed, why this happend!!??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Racing T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new E-revo, so disappointed, why this happend!!??

Today I got a E-revo for x-mas, and Im so pissed right now, I was all exited wating for today, and boomm white smoke comming for the battery boxes.

So.... I got 7-cellElite 5000mah for it, charged them, everything normal, run in for the first time in training mode and very gently as suggested in the manual to break-in the titans, everything ok, I waited everything to cool off, and charged them again. I ran it for the second time, same as the first one, in training mode and very gently, ran about 10-15 minutes, and I had to go do something else, so I bring it in, and when I was going to shut the esc off, the car started to glitch and inmediatly white smoke started to come from the baterry boxes to the "ventilation holes" in the battery boxes and a strong smell of melted plastic, so I rapidly disconnected both batteries and waited thing to cool off, to check and this is what I found ( look pic ), everything other than that looks normal, but now my "spanking brand new $400 truck" doesnt work anymore.. Im so pissed!![:@][:@] I didnt do anything wrong!! I was being super carefull with everything!! IM SO frustated. What can I do?? anyone have any idea?? are my batterys still usable?

Old 12-25-2008, 09:40 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: My new E-revo, so disappointed, why this happend!!??

I don't see the pic...
Old 12-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Racing T

sorry, I forgot the pics, here are they:

Old 12-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Williwa

Looks like they overheated or overcharged. that has happened to me once. Do use a peak charger?
I think just the plastic wrapping melted. The batt's should still be usable.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Racing T

yes, I use a Super Brain 977, that have been using 2 years now, its not the charger. I was doing very light driving....
Old 12-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Williwa

I have no idea how, but did you check all the wires to see if their hot or touching each other? If the wires connecting to the motor is hot the motor short-circuited. Was the ESC hot? Does it even get any ventilation at all??? From my experience the ESC gets hot no matter how soft you go.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:10 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you charged them with that charger under the proper settings and ran lightly, that's really strange - especially since it happened to both batteries.

Use another set of batteries just to make sure the ESC and motors are still working fine.

That should tell you who you need to get in touch with, because if those batteries are new I'd make a small fuss over them.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Racing T

ORIGINAL: sheograth

If you charged them with that charger under the proper settings and ran lightly, that's really strange - especially since it happened to both batteries.

Use another set of batteries just to make sure the ESC and motors are still working fine.

That should tell you who you need to get in touch with, because if those batteries are new I'd make a small fuss over them.

Yeah i'll see if I can try, other battery packs, I dont have another ones right now, Im SOO piss, they cost me like $100 for both or something.

I tried to connect the batterys to the charger, it it only reconizes 1, at 8.48v, the other one, it didnt even say 1v
Old 12-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Druss

Are you checking the temps as you run? You really need to do that...

Also, when you run in training mode does it just reduce the voltage through the esc in order to reduce speed? maybe that's causing a lot of heat.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:29 PM
rclugnut10

did you get the packs "upgraded" cuz if you got um with out that feature, you probally put too much thru the spot welds just because of the quality of the batts, and the draw of 2 motors, they're going to discharge a lot even if you're driving slow, and spot welds are good for like 15A max, those cells are probally good to 40-45A so you probally heated them up and maybe shorted a pack...

the lug
Old 12-25-2008, 10:31 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What amps did you charge them at?
Old 12-25-2008, 10:37 PM
So Cal

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

did you get the packs "upgraded" cuz if you got um with out that feature, you probally put too much thru the spot welds just because of the quality of the batts, and the draw of 2 motors, they're going to discharge a lot even if you're driving slow, and spot welds are good for like 15A max, those cells are probally good to 40-45A so you probally heated them up and maybe shorted a pack...

the lug
rclugnut is right, if you did not get them "upgraded" thats mostlikely your problem.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:41 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: So Cal Nitro Basher

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

the lug
rclugnut is right, if you did not get them "upgraded" thats mostlikely your problem.

Now, that I have looked closer at the batteries I would have to agree with rclugnut10 and So Cal Nitro Basher.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Chris_RC

This is what happens when you dont upgrade AND you didnt choose SXS configeration. I really dont see a con of SXS. You can use an equalizer, you can check the voltage of every cell, and there is less resistence.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:52 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

they dont have a 7cell dischager/equlizer anyway, lol, at least not that I know of. I agrre. UPGRADE YOUR PACK
Old 12-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Racing T

I charge them at 5 amp, because thats the maximun the SB 977 can charge at.

But c'mon!!! I was driving really slow and gentle on the thottle, and for Druss yes I do check the temps, the first run, after 25 min of the same slow driving the batterys where at 108f°, the esc during the run was similar to the batteries but at the end of the run where at 140f°. Cant belive this "quality batteries" fail even at this speeds...

Up-Date: I managed to connect the battery that still work and a 6 cell battery from a losi spin-start, just to try if it still works, and at first it didnt, just a solid red light, after messing with the set up button, it now appears to work as normal, so I think its safe to say the evx-2 is safe, and the titans too..
Old 12-25-2008, 11:53 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: Racing T

But c'mon!!! I was driving really slow and gentle on the thottle, and for Druss yes I do check the temps, the first run, after 25 min of the same slow driving the batterys where at 108f°, the esc during the run was similar to the batteries but at the end of the run where at 140f°. Cant belive this "quality batteries" fail even at this speeds...

Up-Date: I managed to connect the battery that still work and a 6 cell battery from a losi spin-start, just to try if it still works, and at first it didnt, just a solid red light, after messing with the set up button, it now appears to work as normal, so I think its safe to say the evx-2 is safe, and the titans too..
its worth it to get um upgraded, its only $7 more and this is a prime example of what can happen, well i'm assuming you didn't cuz you would've had it in caps:" BUT I DID GET THEM UPGADED!!!!!!!!!! [:@][:@]!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " or something like that...

and for first charge its better that you run them at like 500mha...

the lug
Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 AM
FairTax4me

they dont have a 7cell dischager/equlizer anyway, lol, at least not that I know of.
Tekin makes one for 8 cell packs. But the cut off is 0.5v and non-adjustable, so for nimh packs its probably no good.

Call up CBP and gripe to them about it. It's pretty obviously their screw up if you ask me. The truck can't short your batteries. And if it did the ESC would have fried before the packs did.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Racing T

yeah, I didn't get the up-grade, but this is suppose to be a sport level truck not a super racer or something that need super cells, the strange thing is that I know of people that run cheap no-name batteries without problems, and this suppose-to-be quality cells fails.. I mean.. is very frustrating, I was hopping to use it in my vacations, I guess I would not...[:@]

I will try to contact Mike from cheap battery packs, to see what he have to say.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Racing T

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

they dont have a 7cell dischager/equlizer anyway, lol, at least not that I know of.
Tekin makes one for 8 cell packs. But the cut off is 0.5v and non-adjustable, so for nimh packs its probably no good.

Call up CBP and gripe to them about it. It's pretty obviously their screw up if you ask me. The truck can't short your batteries. And if it did the ESC would have fried before the packs did.

yeah youre right, about the ESC cooking if it would be the cause.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Chris_RC

yeah, I didn't get the up-grade, but this is suppose to be a sport level truck not a super racer or something that need super cells, the strange thing is that I know of people that run cheap no-name batteries without problems, and this suppose-to-be quality cells fails.. I mean.. is very frustrating, I was hopping to use it in my vacations, I guess I would not...[:@]

I will try to contact Mike from cheap battery packs, to see what he have to say.
Even if it is a sport level truck, it is best to upgrade the pack. It just adds a bunch of resistence.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:39 AM
t9dragon

Why in the heck did you charge them at 5 amps? You will shorten the life of your packs dramaticlly by doing that.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:29 AM
sheograth

Now you're mixing battery types in the E-Revo? Bad idea.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:16 AM
hotrodlincoln886

you really need to reconfigure them to side by side packs. i had two trinity 4600 reference packs that i ran in my emaxx and then two 4200 powerizer packs in SxS configuration. The 4600 that were in a shotgun pack ran almost 150* the powerizers ran between 115* and 125* the normal operating temp is between 100* and 140*. so reconfigure your packs and there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:28 PM
FairTax4me

Why in the heck did you charge them at 5 amps? You will shorten the life of your packs dramaticlly by doing that.
5 amps is 1C for a 5000 mah pack. 1C is the recommended charge rate. From what I've heard Elite cells are very good and can be charged at even higher rates than that. I charge my Ener-G 4600 6 cell pack and 6 amps, that's what the manufacturer recommends, but I could charge at 8 amps if I wanted too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.