Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Traxxas Rustler, Hpi E-Firestorm or Team Losi Desert Truck??

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Traxxas Rustler
17.14%
Hpi E-Firestorm
65.71%
Team Losi Desert Truck
17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Traxxas Rustler, Hpi E-Firestorm or Team Losi Desert Truck??

Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traxxas Rustler, Hpi E-Firestorm or Team Losi Desert Truck??

Hey, i found out not long ago that there is a rc track not that far away from my house. I would like to occasionaly race there, but with the rc car i have (monster truck) i would not be able to race. Ive been doing some research, and i have rounded off what i want to buy, its either the traxxas rustler, hpi e-firestorm and i also found the team losi desert truck which i quite like. I would like the slash but it costs around $100 more than the other rc's i mensioned, i cant afford that. Remember im not going to race profesionly, but just occasionly go to the track and race, as long as i can race im happy.
So which one out of those 3 do you guys think i should buy??
Old 01-09-2009, 06:53 AM
NjBasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Rustler, Hpi E-Firestorm or Team Losi Desert Truck??

firestorm all the way
Old 01-09-2009, 08:33 AM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

I chose the E Firestorm because it is built strong, it can take a brushless system stock and it's tunable if you want to race. Now that it's been out for a year, it's starting to sell well, many places have low or no stock. The truck, a Zippy lipo and my T Bone bumpers will be here today.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:57 PM
john01374

The slash is only $189 so it's right in line with the cost of all of these other trucks. Problem with the slash is you're pretty much limited to running in Slash only classes as it's not really competitive with truck stadium style trucks but it makes an awesome basher. Out of the trucks you listed the Losi would be the best pure racer but you will spend a fair amount of time fixing it as they are not very strong. The Rustler is the strongest but also the worst racer. It can be made competitive at the club level pretty easily though. The HPI is right in the middle and would be my pick... I bash more than i race so I buy Traxxas but the HPI is an awesome truck.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:02 PM
TIGER76

1+ for the firestorm
seen one running against a rustler and its much more dialed for jumping and cornering,not sure on the losi tbh[]
Old 01-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: Damo_MadTruck
Hey, i found out not long ago that there is a rc track not that far away from my house. I would like to occasionaly race there, but with the rc car i have (monster truck) i would not be able to race. Ive been doing some research, and i have rounded off what i want to buy, its either the traxxas rustler, hpi e-firestorm and i
What's wrong with racing the monster truck? I know the 'monster' aspect can be scarey for some folks, but honestly once you get over that initial fear, it's the most fun you'll ever have.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Access

Hey, i found out not long ago that there is a rc track not that far away from my house. I would like to occasionaly race there, but with the rc car i have (monster truck) i would not be able to race. Ive been doing some research, and i have rounded off what i want to buy, its either the traxxas rustler, hpi e-firestorm and i
What's wrong with racing the monster truck? I know the 'monster' aspect can be scarey for some folks, but honestly once you get over that initial fear, it's the most fun you'll ever have.
Because there isnt any offical classes for electric monster truck.

Losi Desert Truck with fluid in the diffs! [8D]
Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Access

Just b'cos it's not an official / ROAR class doesn't mean it can't be raced, look at something like the Slash, no 'official' class for that and yet just about every club track is racing them.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Mekong

Go to the track see what racing classes there are there and what people drive. No use in buying a truck that cant compete.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Chris_RC

Just b'cos it's not an official / ROAR class doesn't mean it can't be raced, look at something like the Slash, no 'official' class for that and yet just about every club track is racing them.
I have been to several tracks. People would much rather run 1/8 buggy than a Traxxas electric monster truck!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:14 PM
overrev

Is that why the revo out sells the 1/8 scale buggys. A lot of people up hear in washington race them.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Damo_MadTruck

Hey, im thinking of getting the losi desert truck over the hpi e-firestorm, because it is a lot cheaper and comes with a 2.4ghz radio. Do you think i will be able to race occasionally at this track. Heres a video of the desert truck racing a e-firestorm, the desert truck looks pretty capable for racing on a track.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCfk3TygjI
Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Damo_MadTruck

Heres another video, its the desert truck racing 3 slashes and the desert truck wins.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ctLLOptxM
Old 01-09-2009, 07:26 PM
overrev

You should be able to race any one of them at the track.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

I have been to several tracks. People would much rather run 1/8 buggy than a Traxxas electric monster truck!
Two Sundays ago we actually had a guy try to run an E-maxx in the Slash class, he got maybe halfway through the race before he gave up.
And at the off-road track, people are running electric monsters in the nitro classes.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 PM
ElectricGuy007

Hey, im thinking of getting the losi desert truck over the hpi e-firestorm, because it is a lot cheaper and comes with a 2.4ghz radio. Do you think i will be able to race occasionally at this track. Heres a video of the desert truck racing a e-firestorm, the desert truck looks pretty capable for racing on a track.
Both of them can be raced. I have raced both of mine, yes I raced slashes with my desert truck one time just for fun. I like both trucks.
I have raced my E-firestorm in Modified Truck like 3-4 times. I kept up with that fleet of T4's, and XXX-T's.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:49 AM
electricrcdude

The Desert Truck cheaper than the Firestorm????? I don't think so unless you want the brushless version. It is like $250 for the Desert Truck and only $170 for the 'Storm. BIG difference.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Damo_MadTruck

ORIGINAL: electricrcdude

The Desert Truck cheaper than the Firestorm????? I don't think so unless you want the brushless version. It is like $250 for the Desert Truck and only $170 for the 'Storm. BIG difference.
Really, well in Australia i found the desert truck for around $280 aud, and the e-firestorm around $370 aud, both brushed. BIG difference.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: electricrcdude

Really, well in Australia i found the desert truck for around $280 aud, and the e-firestorm around $370 aud, both brushed. BIG difference.
Wow you guys get hosed in australia....
Old 01-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Chris_RC

You can get the Losi Desert Truck for $199 at losipartshouse.com. here is the link to it, [link]http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-28158/LOSB0102-1-fdsh-10-Desert-Truck/Detail?sfs=e3361058[/link]. You can also get the Speed-T for $240 there!!!!!

Is that why the revo out sells the 1/8 scale buggys. A lot of people up hear in washington race them.
There was just a big race about an hour from me. There was over 200 people, mostly running 1/8 buggy. How many Revo's are bought, and how many actually take them to the track? How many 1/8 buggies are bought, and how many actually take them to the track?

As long as you dont put CRAZY power in the DT, and even if you do you can put 5-10k diff fluid in it and that will solve the problem, there wont be any diff ploblems. Also the roll cage and front bumper helps with durability alot.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Access

There was just a big race about an hour from me. There was over 200 people, mostly running 1/8 buggy. How many Revo's are bought, and how many actually take them to the track? How many 1/8 buggies are bought, and how many actually take them to the track?
Depends on the track. Design of the track favors one or the other. It can't favor both. Naturally people will want to race buggies at a track that favors buggies and trucks at a track that favors trucks. Every track is different.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Chris_RC

Depends on the track. Design of the track favors one or the other. It can't favor both. Naturally people will want to race buggies at a track that favors buggies and trucks at a track that favors trucks. Every track is different.
Do you mean truggy?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 AM
Lilredmachine

Not necessarily. Don't get hung up on the ROAR approved/legal thing. A lot of tracks will run classes outside of the approved classes from the almighty underwear fest that is ROAR. Monster truck is my favourite discipline. Truggy is ok, but a bit too easy around where I live, buggy's just annoy me because A: They all look the same with a shell on and B: They are a bit too boring to drive. No roll.

So in a nutshell buggy racing = bland and serious. MT racing = A riotous mix of colour, rolling over, gagging nitrous fumes, BL wheelies and a lot of guys giggling like school girls on the rostrum.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Chris_RC

The only times I have seen monster trucks at the track is when some kids cvome with a T-Maxx or Nitro Stampede with Traxxas fuel and start doing burnoutts and have an on-off throttle finger.

Buggies are boring? Buggies are way more fun IMO than truggies because you can get away ftom things with truggies and they are more forgiving. If you make 1 small mistake on a buggy your lap is ruined.

Im not talking about ROAR. Actually, I dont know too many tracks that follow it. It is just a good baseline though. Like you can run a .28 in a buggy or a Mamba Max 57-00 with 3s lipo in stock truck.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Lilredmachine

Yep, one mistake your lap is ruined.

Sounds like Formula 1, which is also boring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.