Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler VXL Slow blinking red??

Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 PM
SteelmanRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler VXL Slow blinking red??

I got a Rustler VXL a few weeks ago and other than breaking stuff it has ran great.. Well today I swapped over to the 31/76 setup for more top speed. Well after after 5 minutes of playing with it not doing anything top speed it went into Low-Voltage mode, which is a slow blinking red on the ESC... But it actually just shuts off, no power.. Usually Low-Voltage it will still move but only at 50% throttle, which I have always charged it directly after it hits low-voltage.

Well I charged the battery, took a little over a hour (5400MaH 3s TrakPower). Well after about 10 minutes of playing with it, it went into Low-Voltage again... Actually it just wouldn't move, no throttle or reverse at all, but was still a slow blinking red...

If I turn it off, unplug the battery, plug the battery back in, and turn the ESC back on, it will run fine for a number of minutes and then completely shut off again... Is it over heating?

Also I think it's just the gears but at VERY low speed taking off like a grandma would from a miniature stop sign, the car jerks and stalls until it starts rolling.. I checked the gears, everything is perfect as far as I am concerned..

But the real question is, what is wrong with my VXL? Why can I only get 10 minutes out of it? But can unplug it all and replug it back in and it runs fine again for another 10 minutes..
Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 PM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Rustler VXL Slow blinking red??

My bet is that you are slightly over geared or your gear mesh isn't correct, causing something like thermal protection. Maybe try dropping a tooth or two?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:27 PM
SteelmanRC

ORIGINAL: 8pede8

My bet is that you are slightly over geared or your gear mesh isn't correct, causing something like thermal protection. Maybe try dropping a tooth or two?
In my manual, thermal protection is a fast blinking red... but I adjusted the gears good I believe, it spins perfect, no rough spots.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 PM
deanR

Thats pretty high though.... i would gear it down. speed runs get boring anyway. put some proline moabs on it and fine some dirt.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 PM
SteelmanRC

ORIGINAL: deanR

Thats pretty high though.... i would gear it down. speed runs get boring anyway. put some proline moabs on it and fine some dirt.
Still want to know whats wrong with it. This does not help me, I have my stock gears for bashing.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:24 PM
RC_Basher20
My Feedback: (4)

manual?...
Old 01-16-2009, 12:59 AM
RCcars4me

Try putting the stock gearing back up..
Or buy one of those fans for the speed control
Old 01-16-2009, 08:27 AM
junion

ORIGINAL: VXL Manual

Fast Blinking Red: Thermal Shutdown Protection Stage 1. If the
motor has lower than normal power and the VXL-3s is hot, the
VXL-3s has entered Stage 1 Thermal Shutdown Protection to
guard against overheating caused by excessive current flow. If
the motor has no power and the VXL-3s is very hot, the VXL-3s
has entered Stage 2 Thermal Shutdown Protection and has
automatically shut down. Let the VXL-3s cool. Make sure your
model is properly geared for the conditions (see page 26).

• Slow Blinking Red (with Low-Voltage Detection on): The
VXL-3s has entered Low-Voltage Protection. When the battery
voltage begins to reach the minimum recommended discharge
voltage threshold for LiPo battery packs, the VXL-3s will limit
the power output to 50% throttle. When the battery voltage
attempts to fall below the minimum threshold, the VXL-3s will
shut down all motor output. The LED on the speed control will
slowly blink red, indicating a low voltage shutdown. The VXL-3s
will stay in this mode until a fully charged battery is connected.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Lilredmachine

Sounds like the lipo is shot. Not giving up the amps required by the motor at such extreme gearing and dropping below the VXLs cut off voltage.

Cogging (the jerky stop/start movement) is common in sensorless brushless motors, but you will notice it more with a duff battery and long gearing.

It's odd for a Trakpower to go pop, but these things happen. If you put the regular gearing back in you'll probably notice an improvement but I reckon you'll need a new lipo before trying that gearing again.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 PM
stampedinIT

sounds to me like the esc is no good. had the same problem with mine. i sent it back and traxxas replaced it. your ez set button isnt sticking down is it? i had that problem with 2 of them. do you have the old vxl esc or the new one?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 PM
SteelmanRC

ORIGINAL: stampedinIT

sounds to me like the esc is no good. had the same problem with mine. i sent it back and traxxas replaced it. your ez set button isnt sticking down is it? i had that problem with 2 of them. do you have the old vxl esc or the new one?
It's not sticking down, but I have more reason to think it's the ESC than the battery, both are brand new, but the ESC had broke off the mounting plate once and hit a rock pretty hard.. Either way I think something is wrong
Old 01-16-2009, 03:10 PM
stampedinIT

call traxxas and tell them. they'll tell you to mail it em. dont say about the falling out and hitting a rock.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM
fusebmx13

is your throttle trim turned?? that happens to me with my CC esc's. May be the same, i dont know i dont have a vxl, but i have messed with a couple. Looks like the battery is dead.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
SteelmanRC

ORIGINAL: stampedinIT

call traxxas and tell them. they'll tell you to mail it em. dont say about the falling out and hitting a rock.
I doubt they will help, one of the two mounting tabs is broke off, I am sure that voids warranty
Old 01-16-2009, 03:43 PM
SteelmanRC

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

is your throttle trim turned?? that happens to me with my CC esc's. May be the same, i dont know i dont have a vxl, but i have messed with a couple. Looks like the battery is dead.
I just took it outside and played with it for 15 minutes before it went red, unplugged the battery and played with it another 10 minutes no problems until I threw a tire off the rim... Other than that no problems. And it's still on the same charge as last night which I played with it for 20 minutes total last night
Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM
SteelmanRC

Double post
Old 01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
SteelmanRC

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

Yeah the throttle trim is turned a bit, but was never right from the factory.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
overrev

How hot is it getting. 31/76 is very high gearing,try 23/76 and see what happens.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:31 PM
SteelmanRC

ORIGINAL: overrev

How hot is it getting. 31/76 is very high gearing,try 23/76 and see what happens.
I don't see it getting that hot, since it was 26 degree's last night when I played with it.. How hot could it possibly get?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:57 PM
overrev

Outside temps won't stop it from getting hot. It's caused by the motor needing more current to move the car, higher gearing more current lower gearing less.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 PM
FairTax4me

My first guess would be the battery. Hook up a VOM and measure the battery voltage while the motor is under load. Hold the truck still and nail the gas for a few seconds with the wheels on the ground and watch the reading on the VOM. It helps to use jumper leads when you don't have a 4th hand.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:43 PM
SteelmanRC

ORIGINAL: overrev

Outside temps won't stop it from getting hot. It's caused by the motor needing more current to move the car, higher gearing more current lower gearing less.
So a fan should be my next thing?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:59 PM
overrev

You can put a fan on and it will help. Outside temps can effect batteries they don't last as long when its cold. but the gearing you have is for speed runs so it will get hot. If you want to play longer gear it down some and everything will last longer.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:26 AM
VFRLuke

Slow blinking red is the battery cutoff. I had (am having) a simillar problem with it cutting off too soon. I wondered what the criteria was for the ESC to go into cutoff mode so I emailed traxxas. here's what they replied:

"Hello Luke,

The low voltage detection signals the user to stop and recharge by shutting off the ESC if the voltage drops below 3.2 volts per cell for 1/2 second. Typically this will happen under load. When the load is removed standing voltage rises to above 3.2 volts. "

so if your voltage drops to 9.6 for 1/2 a sec you cutoff. I'd lower your gearing.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:17 AM
raymanh

Like what VFRLuke said, you may have a premature low voltage cut-off problem. You could just buy an external LVC like the novak smart stop, then solder it the the esc battery wires and disable the ESC's LVC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.