Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Lipo Sack... EXPLOSION

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 PM
mobius88
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lipo Sack... EXPLOSION

well i am an old nitro airplane dude and just got into all the eflite helicopters i can get my hands on. way too fun.

after running nitromethane through really poorly made electric fuel pumps with exposed wires and sparks aplenty, fueling super hot engines, and flying at the field with many cigarette and cigar smokers around fuel and fuel vapors for years, with no mishaps...

i am wondering what hazard these batteries really pose to the average joe.

lets say you (or me) are sitting in your living room charging lipos flying helis all night. it's cold out and i am not going to charge them in a flower pot in the driveway. i charge them next to the easy chair and you know, maybe i am NOT watching them like a hawk for 2 hours.

is that ok?

when the heli is packed into the nice box, the batteries are just thrown in there too. they are not in a bunker 100 yards away from the domicile and they are not in a fireproof bag or ammo box. that's how they are stored.

is that ok?

the eflite stuff seems pretty tame, despite all the warnings, what is the real error that one could make - leave it charging too long? crash into the wall and tear the pack a bit? dog goes nuts at the chopper and perhaps has a right to chew it to shreds since you were buzzing him with it for hours (not me I would never do such a thing! no dog... and the fish really can't do much when i buzz their tank)

so... what causes the battery to ignite? most of the batteries that blow up on you tube appear to be attached to way too much current or voltage ie: wrong charger. or some nimrod is whacking it with a garden hoe then putting on the bbq (did you see that one?)

do the typical microheli or rc car novices have to take any special precautions?

several of you have indicated you don't want to burn down the house so. that's the reason for my questions.

thanks for any additional info you want to provide on this very lengthy thread!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 PM
ChuckDeez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lipo Sack... EXPLOSION

i did charge my batteries without lipo sack, but until recently i blew up my nimh battery pack because it was just getting too old. IT made me think, what happens if it happened to my lipo? so I went out and bought one, now i have piece and mind charging them.