Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

RC helicopter gyro as drift control system on E Firestorm

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

RC helicopter gyro as drift control system on E Firestorm

Old 01-18-2009, 12:31 AM
benzy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC helicopter gyro as drift control system on E Firestorm

I am wondering as well what it takes in the tx/rx side of things to run this. I get that a spare channel is needed. Its the adjustments in the 3rd channel that I don't understand. I think it would be fun to put in a few cars just to play around with. I've got a lot of ice around that it would be fun to test out with and see how it would handle.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: benzy2

I am wondering as well what it takes in the tx/rx side of things to run this. I get that a spare channel is needed. Its the adjustments in the 3rd channel that I don't understand. I think it would be fun to put in a few cars just to play around with. I've got a lot of ice around that it would be fun to test out with and see how it would handle.
As long as your radio has EPA for the 3rd channel it should be fine.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 AM
fusebmx13

I might try this out tomorrow. I will let you guys know how it does if i do.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 AM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

You don't have to have a third channel. I just wanted one for remote gain adjustments. This would actually work with the cheapest rate gyros out there and rtr radios, just stick it between the rx and servo and make gain adjustments with the pot on the gyro.

The ability to turn off the gyro remotely will need some mods to the gyro or power system. Heli gyros don't have power off settings for obvious reasons. However, just plug the servo directly to the rx and it's temporarily bypassed. No problem.

ORIGINAL: Krawlin

eaterofdog, would you be willing to try positioning the gyro differently and report back with the results if it prevented wheelies or "better traction" of the line? Would be cool to know if it worked.
The gyro isn't going to do a darn thing for wheelies the way I have it set up. And once you get then wheels off the ground it can not control the yaw either. But it seems like the the gyro could be plugged into the throttle channel and used to suppress the throttle on wheelies. I don't need this (car doesn't wheelie much) but it would be cool to see. Get two gyros and have traction and drift control? Edit: Adding a gyro to the throttle channel would tap the brake when the front end was up and apply throttle when the front end is down. I bet if you tweaked it right the car would automatically level itself off a jump. Interesting idea.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 AM
eaterofdog

If someone wanted to race this setup (cheat like a moofoo) the board could be pulled out of a micro gyro and hidden on the car. The board would be about the size of your thumbnail and easy to hide. They better turn the car off before they pick it up though, the twitching front wheels is a dead giveaway. The racers sudden ability to rail corners at full throttle might be a tip off as well.

You guys at the track look for someone who always shuts of the car before moving it, lol.

Since rate mode gyros seem to work better, I am going to try this cheap esky gyro today. It does not have head holding or remote gain abilities. I will need to change the gain using the pot on the top of the gyro. This particular gyro is all over ebay for about $20 shipped, so if it works out it would be a cheap upgrade for everyone.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Krazy Chicken

could you set up one to do this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpZVT...eature=channel
Old 01-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: eaterofdog
You don't have to have a third channel. I just wanted one for remote gain adjustments. This would actually work with the cheapest rate gyros out there and rtr radios, just stick it between the rx and servo and make gain adjustments with the pot on the gyro.

The ability to turn off the gyro remotely will need some mods to the gyro or power system. Heli gyros don't have power off settings for obvious reasons. However, just plug the servo directly to the rx and it's temporarily bypassed. No problem.
Remote shutoff is what I'd want, the idea being that if the gyro is too restrictive for a manuever, you can switch it off, and then switch it back on afterwards.

Does the gain have a zero setting that negates any corrective effect of the gyro? If not I can probably build a 3rd-channel switch myself to bypass it, but it will take a few weeks.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres a vid from HPI...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xxXM-BJPk4
Old 01-18-2009, 02:07 PM
eaterofdog

ORIGINAL: Access
Remote shutoff is what I'd want, the idea being that if the gyro is too restrictive for a manuever, you can switch it off, and then switch it back on afterwards.

Does the gain have a zero setting that negates any corrective effect of the gyro? If not I can probably build a 3rd-channel switch myself to bypass it, but it will take a few weeks.
Reducing the gain to zero would make the gyro passive, although it would still be on. That would work because the gyro would not need to reinitialize when reactivated. What this setting is depends on the gyro. So you would need to set up a switch that changes from 0 gain to the active gain setting.

The testing with the cheap esky gyro is going well. The performance is pretty good. I was running the car all out across a bumpy field and it was tracking very well instead of wandering. Correction out of hard cornering is fast and accurate.

I am just getting used to NOT countersteering. With the gyro installed you keep the steering turned in the direction you want to go, to tell the gyro what the rate and direction the car should be turning. The gyro then performs all of the fine corrections through the turn.

With the gyro doing all of the hard work my car feels slow. I am getting a brushless setup ASAP.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:19 PM
eaterofdog

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Ha that's cool. I am going to go out and drift some graded limerock roads later to try it.

I can't believe they are getting $150 for a rate gyro.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: eaterofdog

Ha that's cool. I am going to go out and drift some graded limerock roads later to try it.

I can't believe they are getting $150 for a rate gyro.
tower has it for $90.......So can i buy any cheap gryo and it will work on my firestorm with the stock rx, tx?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
eaterofdog

tower has it for $90.......So can i buy any cheap gryo and it will work on my firestorm with the stock rx, tx?
$90 is still an outrage. Especially since gyros die in hard impacts.

Yes you can use a cheap heli gyro. The Esky EK2-0704 is the one I am using now. From my testing, a car doesn't seem to need anywhere near as much precision as a helicopter. So a cheap helicopter rate gyro works just fine.

If you want remote gain (and your radio supports it) get one that has the third lead that connects to the gain channel.

I have been referring to "rate" and "head holding" modes. Here's a description of each.

Rate gyro: A rate gyro will counteract any uncommanded yawing. If the vehicle rotates to the right, the rate gyro will stop the rotation automatically.

Head holding gyro: A head holding gyro will counteract any uncommanded yawing and return the vehicle to it's original heading. If the vehicle rotates to the right, the head holding gyro will stop the rotation automatically and steer it back to the direction it was previously headed.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:01 PM
redfisher1974

Cool i am going to order one from ebay and try it out...for around $20 it looks like something fun to try out....
Old 01-18-2009, 03:18 PM
FairTax4me

Hmmm... These look kinda similar don't they?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKTT2&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMVE1&P=0

Reducing the gain to zero would make the gyro passive, although it would still be on. That would work because the gyro would not need to reinitialize when reactivated. What this setting is depends on the gyro. So you would need to set up a switch that changes from 0 gain to the active gain setting.
I think the Dx3s can do that with the 3rd channel can't it?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:27 PM
eaterofdog

They are sooo busted. Haha.

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me
I think the Dx3s can do that with the 3rd channel can't it?
Yep. The default setting on the A switch allows for complete gain adjustment. This is probably the best setup anyway because the ideal gain seems to vary with different surfaces/tires. Make sure the gyro has remote gain if you buy one for this.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:27 PM
JJay03

That futaba looks dead on it lol.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:43 PM
FairTax4me

I wanna try this now. Powersliding a 2wd stadium truck is hard work, but I bet one of these could make it a lot of fun.

Does the gain adjustment determine sensitivity, or does it limit how far the servo can travel to keep the car on course?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM
eaterofdog

The gain sets how much the gyro responds to the yaw. Low gain small corrections, high gain big corrections. You want the gain as high as you can get it before it starts overcorrecting. The car fishtails when the gain is too high.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:52 PM
JJay03

That Esky one does it have to be mounted a certain direction also?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 PM
eaterofdog

On a heli gyro, the vertical axis is the one that matters. On the esky, the label has to point up. The cables could be pointed in any direction. If you look at the first pic in this thread, the telebee label has to point out, not up. Why is it upside down? The reverse switch is broken and flipping the gyro over is the same as reversing it.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:49 PM
FairTax4me

ORIGINAL: Access

GWS makes a unit that switches the gyro on and off using a 3rd channel.
http://www.helihobby.com/html/gyros.html
About 2/3 way down the page.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:19 PM
eaterofdog

Gyros need to initialize when first powered up and they must be kept perfectly still during initialization. It can anywhere for 2-30 seconds for a gyro to init, depending on the gyro.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neat.. here's my gyro equipped RWD..

Old 01-20-2009, 01:10 PM
eaterofdog

Nice. Any input on the performance?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You definitely need to dial it in.. too much gain takes away too much steering, as well as create instability.. too little gain and you don't get the benefit... ha!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.