Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

RC helicopter gyro as drift control system on E Firestorm

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

RC helicopter gyro as drift control system on E Firestorm

Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM
jaysson_2012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC helicopter gyro as drift control system on E Firestorm

Can somebody post a new link to the E-Sky Gyro everyone said you can get for real cheap? Or any cheap gyro that will work on my 4-tec. I read in the forum that people were getting them for 6-7 dollars, but all the links are out of date. I would really appreciate if someone would point me in the right direction. thanks.
A ebay link would be fine. or anywhere else.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:16 AM
momogt

I GOT THE EXCEEDS DRIFT PRO IT WAS JUST PLUG AND PLAY NO ADJUSTMENTS NEEDED ITS AT HOBBYPARTZ.COM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11409.gif
Views:	23
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1587054  
Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 AM
jaysson_2012

How much did it cost? I looked at Hobbypartz.com and the cheapest one they have is 29.99. I was really looking for a really cheap one, cuz i heard they break easily anyways.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM
momogt

29.00 thats what i paid but mount it in a safe spot and your good it was the best upgrade other then bruhlees and lipo iv done i hit a curb last week @ about 45mph destoryed some parts the gyro still like new
Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM
jaysson_2012

Alright, thanks for the info, thats probably what i'm gonna go with.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
bluefisherking

ORIGINAL: sputnikwood

Seeing that these ESKY gyros are only $10 from hong kong, i'd like to give it a try to see how it changes the handling dynamics. From my ebay search, I see that there is another model - EK2-0704B. Do they work in the same way on a rc car the same way as the original EK2-0704?
You do need to use a gyro in RATE (normal) mode, rather than head-lock mode, and that newer EK2-0704B gyro can be set in either mode using the third channel. According to the manual: "you can choose not to connect the single orange cable to a spare channel on the receiver. if the gain of the headlock gyro > 50, it is in the head locking mode. If gain < 50, it will be in the normal mode".

So you can use that cheap one, as long as you have a 3-channel TX anyway.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:59 PM
jaysson_2012

Cool, thats wat i was looking for, I've seen head locking onees everywhere, but i thought i could'nt use them. I am glad to know that i can.

Would it be better to get the more expensive one from exceed, or the cheaper one from E-Sky? All i really care about is dependability, i want it to last a while.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:41 AM
bluefisherking

ORIGINAL: jaysson_2012

Cool, thats wat i was looking for, I've seen head locking onees everywhere, but i thought i could'nt use them. I am glad to know that i can.

Would it be better to get the more expensive one from exceed, or the cheaper one from E-Sky? All i really care about is dependability, i want it to last a while.
Yes, though be aware that some head-lock gyros can only work in head-lock mode - so you need to confirm that whichever one you are thinking about getting, it can be set to work in rate mode too, like the EK2-0704B or the HK401B.

I don't have either of the gyros you are talking about, so I can't comment on their durability. I do have about 12 of the OLD (rate mode only) cheap Esky gyros, 3 x HK401Bs and 2 x nano gyros (they weigh only 2g!). The only ones I use in trucks are the Eskys, because they get such a beating with vibrations, crashes, mud and water spashes, humidity etc - all of which is very bad for gyros! On the trucks that I drive actually into standing water I sometimes put a balloon over the gyro, but not always. I figure that the gyros I put on trucks will fail sooner or later, and I don't think that more expensive ones are more robust (I think the extra price is for accuracy and features like remote gain control) so I might as well use the cheapie ones in that environment. Of the dozen I have, a couple are playing up a bit, but if you saw the state of them you would not be surprised!

Some of the Esky gyros and the other two models I mainly use on planes. I really like the HK401B as it is great being able to dial up/down the gyro remotely rather than having to keep bringing the model back to fiddle with a screwdriver. And the little nano-gyros are so small I have one in a 35g Ultra-Micro plane and the other in a brushless 1/36 scale truck!.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 AM
e123

I'm on my second old school cheapo esky gyro. The first one lasted maybe three months and I have had the current on for a year or so. I killed the first one in a nasty crash. It really is a rough place for a gyro. But they work great if you don't beat them up too bad. Worth the $10 I paid for sure.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:05 PM
nitro-rob

I used one for about half a year and it was fun. It was a cheapo esky and it worked fine.  Never broke and I still have it but havn't put it on in a while.  I looked for them a few months ago and it seemed like the price went up.  I got two shipped for about 17 or something like that.