Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas or Crapxas (lol?)

Old 01-20-2009, 02:14 AM
Sonolin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas or Crapxas (lol?)

NOTE BEFORE READING: The point of this thread/project is to prove some degree of quality in the Traxxas products. I believe that there are much better options than Traxxas out there, but for the economy-minded, new-to-rc, basher, Traxxas MIGHT be a decent choice. The reason I say might is that I have heard a TON of mixed views about traxxas, but most of them are biased. This is a completely un-biased approach to Traxxas quality that newbies to RC can read about (when finished) to help them with their first RC approach.

So, everybody knows of the new and latest craze of everybody hates Traxxas, right? Well, let's see if that "Traxxas sucks!" is just a myth or not. What I am thinking about doing, is making some sort of review on a Traxxas model (MANY future ideas planned). This review will be different than most because this review will be over a longer timespan than other reviews, and the products will be put through.. well, a LOT of abuse. I am not talking anything like jumping off of three story buildings abuse, but plenty for your average basher.

The extra little twist I am adding to this review, is I will be pitting a Traxxas model (most likely the Rustler due to its popularity and the price) against the HPI Firestorm! That's right, the Firestorm, which is widely known for its durability.

The inspiration I got for this is thinking about how cheap I can get another RC if I just get a roller, and put already used electronics in. I was considering buying a Firestorm Flux package for bashing around (delaying me getting into racing a bit, but oh well I can wait and bashing is fun ) and then this idea hit me! It would not be a stretch to say that I could get a Rustler roller for maybe $100, and this project sounds like a load of fun.

There is a little more to it than that, but I don't want to give it all away right now .

I should be able to do this project near the end of next month, and have it finished early march, so keep a look out!

Some other ideas I have:

My RC10GT with a OS .18 using the same theme (POWER)
Jato with same theme (see above)
Duratrax Evader ST with same theme (duratrax or duracrap?)
..and, of course, the SAVAGE (who would see that one coming!)

Cheers, this is just for fun, and don't say something like "what a waste of time/money" because... it really does not waste any of my time (I will already be bashing lol), and as for money... Big deal, $100 extra for the roller to bash to my hearts content.

Oh and I think I will cry if the Firestorm breaks more stuff than the Rustler... But I highly doubt that will happen LOL
Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Traxxas or Crapxas (lol?)

It's not new to hate Traxxas, people have been doing it since the Tmaxx first released.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Access

Traxxas has come a long way, I like me E-Revo and try to find another MT that handles that well.
As for the E-firestorm and the Rustler, look at some of the other threads here, they cover the differences pretty well.
Do some extreme jumping / abuse and post videos.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Redvanmafia

this thread is ridiculous, go buy a duratrax, if you want to talk about quality lmao, My traxxas cars and trucks never let me down, ive knowed losi's duratrax traxxas and tamiya and my little stampede has beat them all in durability, and its funnest to drive has you can just throw it around and not have to worry about anything with lipo brushless power,. what else could you ask for? AND I BASH AROUND HARD,
Old 01-20-2009, 06:42 AM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

Yeah, traxxas are great bashers, when I was done with my pede it was industructable, and I also bash really hard. I also have a losi xxx-cr and its of higher quality but it wouldnt last a second of my bashing. Traxxas is great
Old 01-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

WE should all thank our lucky stars for Traxxas being a powerhouse in this hobby. If you like their products or not, they are one of the reasons that this hobby is as big as it is and why we have so many choices online and at the LHS. Their Slash is reinvigorating the hobby and the T-Maxx and E-Maxx were the pioneers of the modern nitro/electric MTs. Traxxas heavily advertises through all magazines so there is more incentive for people to publish magazines, which gives us more RC car magazine choices. Traxxas sponsors full size racing and monster truck events, advertises in automobile magazines and exposes more and more people to the hobby.

Traxxas has a great online community, employs a lot of people in the U.S. including design, sales and support and helps keep hobby shop doors open.

Pure and simple, this part of the hobby would not be what it is without Traxxas, like it or not.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 AM
rhylsadar

someone must be pretty megalomaniac to think one can judge a whole brand with some personal testing. lool

but have fun with the rustler and the firestorm because fun its what this whole hobby-thing is about. both cool trucks! [8D]

bye
rhylsadar
Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 AM
fusebmx13

If you are going to judge a brand, you better buy what they are most famous for. That means either the T Maxx or the Revo. Either which in the 3.3 of course. I bet you will be more than pleased with the revo. The electrics and stuff are just other trucks that traxxas offers to try to get a more variety of people. Even though they are great trucks. But if you hate it then you hate all of traxxas and that means that you hate the revo that is one amazing truck. Just don't judge the whole brand on one car.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 AM
caseyddr

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

If you are going to judge a brand, you better buy what they are most famous for. That means either the T Maxx or the Revo. Either which in the 3.3 of course. I bet you will be more than pleased with the revo. The electrics and stuff are just other trucks that traxxas offers to try to get a more variety of people. Even though they are great trucks. But if you hate it then you hate all of traxxas and that means that you hate the revo that is one amazing truck. Just don't judge the whole brand on one car.
Especially one of their lowend cars ^^
Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 AM
fusebmx13

Yea really. Of course an xl5 is going to suck compared to a 3.3 T Maxx or Revo haha. Good point.

If you are going to test a company, you better have the money to do it. Not buy a roller off flea bay and throw some crappy electronics in it. My stock slash with brushless and 3s in it is indestructable. I jumped my yard the other day which is close to 70 feet. But a brushed rustler is probably not going to go fast enough to break anything.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: Sonolin
My RC10GT with a OS .18 using the same theme (POWER)
Jato with same theme (see above)
Duratrax Evader ST with same theme (duratrax or duracrap?)
..and, of course, the SAVAGE (who would see that one coming!)

Oh and I think I will cry if the Firestorm breaks more stuff than the Rustler... But I highly doubt that will happen LOL
I personally am a Traxxas as fan, and I love their stuff, it has never failed me, I have broken only one, one part over the 9 year period that I have been beating my rustler into the ground for.

Oh, and it is Durajunk. [:@][:'(] Their stuff has horrible quality metal. Who ever does their metal, should go to jail, as well as their customer support.....for crimes against the R/C world! LOL Just kidding but their steel stuff sucks beyond belief.

Also, I would be very very surprised if you find a problem with the Savage, I have never own one, but I only here good things about it.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 AM
caseyddr

In all honesty this guy will most likely NEVER do any of this, he probably won't even post in this thread again.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 AM
KRO

WE should all thank our lucky stars for Traxxas being a powerhouse in this hobby. If you like their products or not, they are one of the reasons that this hobby is as big as it is and why we have so many choices online and at the LHS. Their Slash is reinvigorating the hobby and the T-Maxx and E-Maxx were the pioneers of the modern nitro/electric MTs. Traxxas heavily advertises through all magazines so there is more incentive for people to publish magazines, which gives us more RC car magazine choices. Traxxas sponsors full size racing and monster truck events, advertises in automobile magazines and exposes more and more people to the hobby.

Traxxas has a great online community, employs a lot of people in the U.S. including design, sales and support and helps keep hobby shop doors open.

Pure and simple, this part of the hobby would not be what it is without Traxxas, like it or not.
I totally agree , very well said Dale .....
Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Well said Dale well said.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM
caseyddr

Dale has been here for years, we used to talk MT's when it was the new 'up and coming' class, although I don't know if he remembers me. Guy knows what he is talking about!

I also own an Emaxx and a Tmaxx on the way, might end up getting the Revo or Summit next. Nothing wrong with Traxxas at all.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:45 PM
FairTax4me

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

You just contradicted yourself like woah!

You should have said, if you're going to judge a brand, you need to test ALL of their cars. But that's a bit difficult considering that Traxxas has so many models on the market right now.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 PM
TheAdge

Good call, Dale

This whole anti-traxxas fad is actually sort of funny. Its like watching "Ford guy" vs. "Chevy guy" fights. Or 'discussing' religion. There is NO definitive argument that can sway the naysayers. However, if some guy shows up at a track with his high-dollar "newer-better-stronger-faster-higher parts count" land missile that breaks after two laps, and then watches guy #2 pound away lap after lap after lap with his Rusty, Slash, Maxx, whatever, all he'll see is a noob-mobile that doesn't break because it's a slow plastic brick. But you tell me which guy is on his way to being a better driver, and which one is workin his mechanic skills. Of course, I suppose it could have been the TRX that broke. Bias schmias

To put it all in perspective, Traxxas used to suck pretty bad. I had a few early (Pre-Maxx era) Traxxas vehicles that were utter piles. I've been through Associated's line, Losi, HPI, Duratrax, Yokomo, OFNA, Tamiya yadda yadda yadda. My honest feeling? THEY ARE ALL VERY GOOD! And they ALL have shortcomings. Think parts. Part numbering systems. Availability. Compatibility. Support for outdated models. Clarity of parts descriptions. Etc, etc etc. My Traxxas vehicles are FAR easier to find and get parts for than ANY other brand I own. I'll leave out parts quality, save to say that Traxxas is on par, arguably ahead of the curve in this area.

And who can forget the important part? The cars, the trucks, and the MTs! I'll use the Slash as an (excellent) example. Look at this truck OBJECTIVELY. Here are some of the rips I've read. Point by point, anyone?

-"The Slash is just another Rusty rehash." - Great, they're re-using a reliable design that's gone through countless hours of real-world testing.

-"They just took a (insert stadium truck here) and put AT tires on it." - Yes, lowish grip ones to boot! Partner that with a spiffy steering SX, Dual-rate shocks (soft and firm), all-metal tranny internals, and the nerf-bar, F\R bumper, and wide body combo, and you have a package that drives like they said it would: Less like a stadium truck, more like a Short-course truck.

-"(Insert similar vehicle here) makes it look like a radio shack car!" - Right. I'll drop half a grand or more on some roll-the-dice brand ace-racer. I'll pass on that. I think everyone at one point has had the "shelf racer\practice basher" experience.

Just my $.02
Old 01-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Access

A lot of it comes and goes with the times. You had people who feel everything should be a kit, and they blame Traxxas for ushering in the era of RTRs. You had people who wanted the hobby to stay the same, and they get upset and blame Traxxas for the expansion in the hobby. People can take their hobby very emotionally, they can get 'tied up' with things like brands, etc., for a lot of people that is 'part of the fun' or hobby. Today the internet and message boards can become part of the hobby as well, it seems like a lot of people spend more time on the boards than they do actually bashing / racing / driving. Thus one can only assume that for some, the banter on these boards is more enjoyable than the rest of the hobby.

The difference in RC is you have things like racing, and it's very easy to 'try out' a friend's vehicle. A 'chevy' guy may never get behind the wheel of a ford (utter sacrilege in his own mind) just as a zealot will never set foot in a church of another denomination (for fear that eternal damnation may follow). But for a guy at the track or a bashing area, it's not too difficult to ask his buddy to let him try his setup or just watch how it drives and handles up close. It's not like with aircraft or helis where you have to worry about the guy crashing your truck and destroying it completely. In this way, minds can be changed in an instant, based on experience.

Often times when bashing I meet people who have been out of the hobby for 10+ years and they're amazed at the E-Revo and what a brushless electric monster can do. They explain that Traxxas was nothing when they were in the hobby, scoffed at on the track and never won any races. Electric was relegated to being a 'little sister' of nitro, a novelty at best, an annoyance at worst, and far too tame for most serious racers. But just there, seeing the E-Revo up close, changed their mind. Times change, and people either adapt with them or ultimately get left behind.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 PM
MuggyDude

Why everybody hates one brand and will only stick with another i don't know. I personally own a Losi, 2 Traxxas, and my buddy owns a HPI. Now, I think they are all great. Most of the major brands make great products, and each one usually has different vehicles for different applications. For example, Traxxas has the Rustler for a fast, fun, durable beater truck. It has the Revo for an awesome monster for bashing and racing. It has the Summit for crawling and bashing with waterproof electronics. The Slash is one of the most durable trucks on the market, it's waterproof, and it provides super fun scale racing. Losi might have the largest range of vehicles, from it's Mini-T series in the mini scene, to the 8B and 8-T as competitive nitro racing. It has the LST monster trucks for great bashing and great MT racing. There is the XXX series of 1/10th scale buggies and STs for some of the best competitve off-road trucks. HPI has the Savage, a super tough bashing MT that can race a bit too. The Firestorm trucks, they are durable, a little bit race worthy, and fun. It's Hellfire is a great bashing truggy.

If you ask me, they are all great brands and have great products. And it makes me angry when people say a truck is crap because it can't race, when it is meant to be a basher. And I also hate when people say a truck is crap because it's aimed at a certain type of people, for example the noobs who are coming into the hobby. Without these trucks, the hobby would feel a major loss without any new blood in the market.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:57 PM
TheAdge

Agreed with Access. The folks that irk me are the ones that never set foot in the other church to see what it's about. It's worth noting the difference between 'brand-bashing' and 'bench racing'. When I rode dirtbikes, my buddies and I spent hours bench racing our brand. We'd strain over things like which brand's fork rake was best suited to handling hard-packed, rough, off-camber tight turns (My Honda was 'steep', best for tight, grippy supercross stuff, while my opponent won that particular round with his caddy-like Kawasaki). Then we'd get desperate, and resort to things such as the way Suzuki's "bold new graphics" allowed you to grip the gas tank with your knees better. It went on, and on, and on. And no one ever 'won' per se, just made a point.

I think what bothers me about the "TRXashing" that's been going on is it's just that: mudslinging and name-calling. 'They're utter crap'. 'Their new car looks stupid'. Those aren't even criticisms.

What I want to hear is some valid rips into this brand. The good stuff. What peevs you about Traxxas? I could start with a few.

-Too much emphasis on RTRs. - Traxxas' airborne counterpart, Parkzone, has started offering "bind-n-fly" versions of its models that are basically RTRs minus the radio. Wouldn't it be nice to pick up a T-maxx 3.3, and simply bind to an existing TX, or drop in your own RX? At a price point below the RTR, to boot. Or why not a 'rolling chassis' Maxx\Revo? $250+ for a rolling chassis e-revo sounds a hell of a lot better than paying twice that to get gear I already have.

-Complete assemblies. - Complete diffs\trannies? Scratch-builders rejoice! See also rolling chassis above.

-A definitive parts compatibility list. - How much do the T and E-maxxes actually have in common? Which Rustler parts fit Slashes? Which 'new' Maxx parts will fit a 'really old' Maxx?

-Add more 'option' to 'option parts' - Not all options are upgrades, and not all upgrades are made of metal. How about an optional set of original 'narrow' Maxx arms, for example?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Sonolin

Wow, some of you guys let one little post get you riled up way too easily. I understand that I can't judge an entire company based on just one of their RCs... this is more of a just for fun test to see if the rustler is as durable as some traxxas guys say, or if it is a piece of crap like the others say. A couple pointed out the Revo... I have heard pretty much nothing but great things about the Revo, and am in no position to state that the Revo is crap. I am not saying Traxxas is crap at all.

Oh and I won't be using "crap" electronics or "crap brushed motors"... I'm going to be using the flux system with my firestorm in the rustler. I'm sure that is fast enough to break things!

And I will be video taping it, and yes there will be some nasty jumps.

(Oh and there you go caseyddr - I posted in the thread. :P)

I guess I should have known that I'd start something with this title lol...
Old 01-20-2009, 05:23 PM
caseyddr

The Flux system isn't that good :P It's a cheap brushless setup that's the equivalent to a low end mild modified motor, if that. You do know most the speed they create out of that in HPI's cars are from gearing, not from motor power. What actual RC experience do you have to even attempt this type of 'review?' I keep hearing you say 'firestorm' and 'rustler' which are beginner/entry level hobby RC cars.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

this thread is ridiculous, go buy a duratrax, if you want to talk about quality lmao, My traxxas cars and trucks never let me down, ive knowed losi's duratrax traxxas and tamiya and my little stampede has beat them all in durability, and its funnest to drive has you can just throw it around and not have to worry about anything with lipo brushless power,. what else could you ask for? AND I BASH AROUND HARD,
that i can say is not true, my super blackfoot out bashed a little stampede xl5 of my friends(friend has now moved to florida cause of divorce) it beat it in a race, and a durability test. and my blackfoot could still out bash a stampede, and im sure that my newest blackfoot could also out bash a stampede
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Chris_RC

Personally, the only Traxxas truck I would buy is the Slash. Reason being is because you can go to any given track, and know that they will be racing Slash. I personally do not like the RTR idea, because I cant make money to build people's kits!!! [sm=biggrin.gif] Parts isnt much of an issue to me. I actually drive good so I rarely break, and if I do I can almost guarantee I have replacements. It is just the people when on a practice day drive all over the track, not even thinking about others to the point where all the other drivers move away when they see "That Traxxas", normally a brushless/3s lipo car trying to get traction with bald stock tires and sliding all over the place. Then that is where I get kind of mad.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM
TheAdge

I think it's a great topic. My 2nd hobby is lurking, and I've been seeing rips on Traxxas quite a lot. And I know that by the nature of our hobby, we are a damn hard group to please. We demand quite a lot from these businesses. So criticism is nothing of a surprise. What IS (was, whatever) a surprise is how much... I'd say animosity there is towards Traxxas, which I see as a fantastic company. I've watched them jump from "total noob brand" status in the 1990's to producing the Maxx in '99, which was big, big deal! Working at my LHS off and on for 5 years gave a lot of insight into many brands. Traxxas, in my mind, is one of the top dogs as far as quality, well-thought out, fun, and reliable rc goes. What irks me is watching "rcnoobguy2008" get talked out of a rusty, or an Evader, or a T4, or XXXT, for some obscure or complicated thing they'll struggle with.

So like I said, I think this topic rocks. I'd like to see what it really is that people seem to hate about what I feel is one of the best in the biz. I'll strike a nerve to do it if I have to.

How bout this... would Traxxas be more appealing if their products were made in the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.