Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

removing pinon gear help

Old 01-24-2009, 01:39 PM
franzcars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing pinon gear help

i am using a 1mm wrench on a traxxas slash. plz help
Old 01-24-2009, 02:50 PM
redfisher1974

Default RE: removing pinon gear help

What do you need help with?.....is it to tight? did you strip it?....Give us a little more info.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:52 PM
littleazn248

first of all you need a 1.5 mm driver
Old 01-24-2009, 03:07 PM
franzcars

well the guy at my lhs said to make sure every things good after the first hour. its bone stock as it came from traxxas
Old 01-24-2009, 03:18 PM
usurp

whats the best thing to do if you strip it? Cuz i have that problem. (sorry i'm hijacking this thread)
Old 01-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Josh222

First step is to take those black Allen keys that come in the box and throw them in the trash. Now go and buy your self a set of quality hex drivers, that will solve almost all of your problems.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:34 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: Josh222

First step is to take those black Allen keys that come in the box and throw them in the trash. Now go and buy your self a set of quality hex drivers, that will solve almost all of your problems.
So true......
Old 01-24-2009, 06:51 PM
FairTax4me

whats the best thing to do if you strip it? Cuz i have that problem. (sorry i'm hijacking this thread)
Cut the pinion off.

No im jk

You should be able to get it off with the proper size wrench. Pinion grub screws are very hard to strip. If you're using a 1mm wrench, try a 1.5mm. If that doesn't work put a drop of super glue on the wrench (very small drop) and stick it in the screw and let it dry. That should get it out. Then slide a pair of pliers down the wrench to pop the screw off the end.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:08 PM
e-firestormer

I had the same problem on the pinion in my e-firestorm. It was stripped when I got it and couldn'tget it off. I ntried the super glue however that didn't work. I ended up clamping the end of the motor shaft poking out the pinion in a vice and dilling out the grub screw with a drill bit a little smaller than the screw. It took a while but work so well that after I gpt it off all I had to do was re tap the thread and screw in a new screw. Incase you are worried, the grub screw is usually aluminium or steel and much softer than the hardened stainless steel motor shaft so once you drill through the screw you won't damage the motor shaft. Be patint and go nice and slow and you should be OK.