Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

vxl rustler/bandit questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 PM
cjh2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vxl rustler/bandit questions

Hi Guys.

I recently bought a rustler vxl and bandit vxl in used condition. Did traxxas release several different versions of these models? Both cars have the velineon motors and one esc. Is there an alternative to the stock esc that is suitable?

Also, I'm primarily planning on letting the kids chase each other around the backyard when the snow disappears. Is the stock gearing suitable for running nimh on grass?

Lastly. Can someone recommend a good supplier for batteries possibly in Canada. What kind of run time can I expect for the different size batteries 6/7 cell?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
1maxdude

Default RE: vxl rustler/bandit questions

The castle sidewinder or mamba max esc would work. Not sure what the cost difference is between a vxl speed controller and a sidewinder, either would work fine. IB 4200, or the ener-g 4600 would be your best bet if you are stuck on getting nimh batteries. I really don't know run time, it varies alot, but 15 minutes should be a realistic minimum. I think stock gearing on nimh for grass would be ok. If you want, perhaps dropping down 2 teeth to be safe. When the power doesn't do it for you anymore, I'd consider going with lipo and you can get some nice packs from true-rc or spc for a good deal.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Big Z

Default RE: vxl rustler/bandit questions

if its tall grass the rustler and bandit arent exactly well suited but will do okay.... if its like soccer field grass then they will both do awesome and go pretty quick... as for batteries you will see more speed/power out of the 7 cell than the 6 cell but you might get slightly longer run times with the 6cell since you will be pulling less amperage