Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Promatch 8 cell Nimh battery for Slash

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:24 AM
zsultan
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Promatch 8 cell Nimh battery for Slash

Can you run 8 Cell 4600 Nimh pack in stock (XL 5 & Titan motor) Slash? Most of the sites recommend either 6 or 7 cell Nimh packs. Any one running 8 cells on their stock slashes?
Please let me know how its holding and do you see significant power compared to 7 cells?

Please advise

http://promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=7490SL
Old 01-26-2009, 02:58 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Promatch 8 cell Nimh battery for Slash

According to Traxxas, the XL-5 ESC can take 8 cells.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:47 AM
shaunmichaeljohnson

make sure you brake in your titan properly.
keep a tab on temps and gear it down just a tad from stock...

ive had my titan running on 3s lipo before and it was pretty good!! quick, temps were good...just after 5 runs it became brushless when the brushes fell off it LOLOLOLOLOLOL
shaun
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 AM
86waterpumper

The xl-5 handles 8 cells no issue. In fact it will run 10 cells, at least on the bench I haven't had weather fit to test it outdoors yet but will. Anyway I love my 8 cell promatch battery, the thing I like about it is, not only does it have tons of power, but the thing lasts at a minimum of 30 minutes, sometimes 35 or 40. That's pretty impressive for a 8 cell to last that long. I think they are a pretty good value.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 AM
zsultan

ORIGINAL: 86waterpumper

Anyway I love my 8 cell promatch battery, the thing I like about it is, not only does it have tons of power, but the thing lasts at a minimum of 30 minutes, sometimes 35 or 40. That's pretty impressive for a 8 cell to last that long. I think they are a pretty good value.
86waterpumper,

How long have you been using 8 cells on your stock slash?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
zsultan

Guys,

Just called traxxas and they said that they do not recommend 8 cell Nimh for XL5 and Titan combo.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 01:02 PM
86waterpumper

I am sure that they don't reccomend it but the xl-5 is rated for 8 cells for sure. Some say the titan motor burns up fast on even 7 cells, let alone 8. Traxxas sends the motors out geared for speed to some extent anyway. If they condone everyrone running a 8 cell then they'd have alot more warranty calls for new motors etc. Myself, I know that no rc is going to not need parts eventually, and I just consider motors another one of these parts. I have done several runs with my 8 cell battery and beat on my slash good and so far the motor is holding up fine. I have got probably 20-30 runs total on it, and out of those maybe five were with the 8 cell. Seeing as how others say their titans burn up in under 10 runs I say it's doing pretty well. I have several brushed motors I can throw in it, so I don't care if it burns it up or not. The fact is, the slash has a awesome battery compartment that will fit big batteries, and I don't want a slow truck so I say go for it
Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 PM
tristian

what motor can replace 12 turn to make my slash go fsaster
Old 02-13-2009, 12:20 PM
brains646

Hey guys, this is my first post but I've been lurking for a while and I had to jump into this one. I have a bone stock slash that I run on 6 and 8 cell Tenergy 3800 batteries and yes, there is a noticable difference and no, I havent had any motor or heat related issues. I got my slash from a friend that had the VXL installed and honestly...it was too fast! I'm new to the hobby (as an adult at least) and I didnt want to break my slash right away so I took it out. I said that though to say that I ran the 8 cell with the vxl and it was ignorant fast. The 8 cell with the stock motor and esc is definitely fast but not so much that the tires never hook up. I would say somewhere around 30 with the the 83/19 ratio. I havent tried any other gears yet. But I think its plenty fast for bashing......and to the guy that said the weather hadnt been good enough to go outside yet...why not? Its waterproof! Spray some WD-40 and go for yours! Mud and low snow is a blast!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:57 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Titan motors burn out fast on 6 cells! Lmao.. Anyways it is possible, but i wouldn't expect your titan to be hanging around too long after you run the 8 cell battery. Good luck with promatch, i hear they are really good.. im ordering a 7/8cell from there tommarow.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:13 PM
86waterpumper

I've run a few runs even on 10 cells and my titan is holding up great. Maybe I got a fluke one that they actually built good who knows, but it goes plenty fast with enough volts! Not like the titan is a expensive motor, everyone talks like they are scared to give them the juice hehe [&:]