Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

anything i can do to widen my rustler?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:48 AM
blueb8llz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anything i can do to widen my rustler?

i think i remember reading that there was a mod or something i can purchase to make my trx vxl rustler wider. does anybody on here know it?
and is there something i can get to make the rustler track better at high speeds...like adding rear toe in?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:27 AM
Budget Monty

Default RE: anything i can do to widen my rustler?

Widening it would make it worse at high speeds. High speed handling wants a longer chassis, better handling at slower speeds wants a wider chassis.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:04 AM
Little Green Man

How does a longer chassis improve high speed handling?? The only thing I can see that achieving is making it more difficult to wheely.
I would imagine a wider chassis would always improve handling, not worsen it (unless it's a ridiculous extension)
Old 03-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Budget Monty

ORIGINAL: Little Green Man

How does a longer chassis improve high speed handling?? The only thing I can see that achieving is making it more difficult to wheely.
I would imagine a wider chassis would always improve handling, not worsen it (unless it's a ridiculous extension)
It's not something I just made up, it's widely accepted. Look at full scale racing for a real life example. Dragsters are long for High speed stability for example. Think about a car with a short wheelbase, the slightest turn makes a hugh differnce, a super long vehicle can make the same turn with a much lesser effect on turning.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:16 AM
NjBasher

flm makes longer a arms
Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Sampson0420
My Feedback: (7)

monty is right, widening would make it worse. I widened my pede and it worsened matters, I will never widen a vehicle again, especially with wheel extensions.

If you need more stability at higher speeds. Try using 2.2 tires, more shock dampening, and lowering the vehicle. I think these 3 things will get you going a bit better at high speeds.

You can use 4tec axle carriers on your rear which will give you 1.5 degrees toe in, this could help but am not sure. Maybe a street guy could elaborate on toe and camber for on road traction.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 AM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

rear arms on front, longer sterring and tow links, and front rims all around is the wide mod. There are threads on it. the search fucntion
Old 03-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Little Green Man

Yes, I understand that increasing the distance between the rear and front wheels makes steering much more 'fine tuned' - I'm just interested as to what exactly about a longer chassis makes a car handle well. Dragsters are straight line vehicles - I would imagine they would be anything but stable if a turn was attempted
I suppose a longer chassis would however help keep the front wheels on the ground which would aid in steering... (I just love looking into this stuff )

as for the rustler, I have seen modifications that widen it, just can't remember the details. I think that Ultimate Rustler was widened? You could take a look at that, or I'm sure some of the people in the official rustler thread have done it

Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Redvanmafia

man, run rear a-arms on the front with front wheels on the front and back, there you go. wide rustler, 105mm t-maxx links for steering and 72mm for camber
Old 03-05-2009, 12:44 PM
fusebmx13

Search function . ^ what he said. I did it to my stampede and it helped a ton. The rustler doesnt really need it though.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:59 PM
cat samich

i trimed the mounting points on my stampede just a bit and used jato arms with 4 front wheels. i had to make my own links but it made it a lot wider. the stampede and the rust are nearly identical in regaurds to arms/suspension do a google search and check out ultimate traxxas.com

they have alot of neat tips and ideas
Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 PM
hands without shadows

Widening your Rustler will allow it to take high speed turns that otherwise might make the car roll.

Dragsters are narrow so that they drive in a straight line. The wider the rear, the more likely you are to launch at an angle and the harder it will be to correct (assuming a RWD vehicle).
Old 03-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Budget Monty

ORIGINAL: Little Green Man

Yes, I understand that increasing the distance between the rear and front wheels makes steering much more 'fine tuned' - I'm just interested as to what exactly about a longer chassis makes a car handle well. Dragsters are straight line vehicles - I would imagine they would be anything but stable if a turn was attempted
I suppose a longer chassis would however help keep the front wheels on the ground which would aid in steering... (I just love looking into this stuff )

as for the rustler, I have seen modifications that widen it, just can't remember the details. I think that Ultimate Rustler was widened? You could take a look at that, or I'm sure some of the people in the official rustler thread have done it

It's hard to explain, it is just fact.