Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

e revo quick question

Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 AM
scooby-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e revo quick question

just got my brushless e revo today, and need to put dean's on the esc. I was wanting to take it off to make it easier to do, and all i see is 2 screws on each side of the esc. Is that all that is holding it on?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 AM
maybelater29
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: e revo quick question

Scooby I don't have the answer for you..but, I'm going to be getting one in a week or 2. What batteries are you going to be using?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:02 AM
KRO

Yep , the 2 screws on the sides are what hold it down , there may be some double sided tape too , but I doubt it .
Old 03-05-2009, 11:06 AM
scooby-RCU

well the wire on the esc is so big, its hard to solder it on the dean plug, looks like crap LOL this wire is way to big
Old 03-05-2009, 11:11 AM
maybelater29

ORIGINAL: scooby-RCU

well the wire on the esc is so big, its hard to solder it on the dean plug, looks like crap LOL this wire is way to big
Isn't a larger wire needed..larger wire less resistance...the MMM can draw a lot of amps and you need the lower guage wire to handle it...if you don't you get a bottleneck and are choking out your ESC. What batteries are you using?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:15 AM
scooby-RCU

well when they arrive, i'll be using 4s lipo's with dean connectors, but this wire is like 100 times thicker than the dean connector. i've never had probs soldering any of my heli wires on deans before. i can't do it, i got a 30watt solder but it won't get the wire and dean hot enough to solder together. any tips? maybe a 60watt solder gun?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:23 AM
maybelater29

well when they arrive, i'll be using 4s lipo's with dean connectors, but this wire is like 100 times thicker than the dean connector. i've never had probs soldering any of my heli wires on deans before. i can't do it, i got a 30watt solder but it won't get the wire and dean hot enough to solder together. any tips? maybe a 60watt solder gun?
Stick with the Traxxas connectors and get a male end and make a cable for you charger...A 60watt gun might help....I have never tried to soilder anything more than a 12 AWG wire to a Deans before...and like I said I don't have my revo yet. I was planning on just keeping the Traxxas connectors.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Druss

Ya, you need a higher watt soldering gun. I actually suggest a variable one like the Hakko 936 if you can afford it.

You may also want to think of using anderson power poles which don't need any soldering at all.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
scooby-RCU

well let me ask this, since i have an parallel adapter coming in the mail also that has deans on it. instead of soldering a dean to the esc wire so it will plug into the adapter, could i snip the deans off the adapter and solder the esc and adapter wires together?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:57 PM
maybelater29

well let me ask this, since i have an parallel adapter coming in the mail also that has deans on it. instead of soldering a dean to the esc wire so it will plug into the adapter, could i snip the deans off the adapter and solder the esc and adapter wires together?

Yes.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
j-boy

I'm curious to know what 4s batteries your going to use? Do you actualy mean Two 4s batts? I didn't think there were any 4S batts that would fit the battery compartments...

BTW.. just in case you didn't know there is an official EREVO thread. My set up is in there with pics of the batts I'm running. The thread is not usually on the front page of the electric offroad stuff because thers only a few of us that post every so often. [8D]
Old 03-05-2009, 02:23 PM
scooby-RCU

it says i can't register with my hotmail or yahoo email address, so i dunno how to register over their. ?? lol

but i'm gonna use these batteries

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7469

and i'm gonna use 2 of them, one on each side

i also finally got the deans soldered on LOL my solder tip was bad it seems
Old 03-06-2009, 01:03 AM
dkastil

When you solder deans plugs clamp the deans plug and tin the with alot of solder then tin the wire ,soldering to with thick wires use alot of solder heat from the bottom side of the post you are soldering hold the tinned wire on the tinned post once it melts hold it for a few seconds and you are good to go , the key is heating the solder threw the underside of the post I like to use 60/40 rosen core solder almost any crappy iron will work just let it heat up .