Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Gearing help

Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 PM
For_The_Win

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing help

Lol ok. So ive been doing this for almost 3 years and i still suck at it. So im getting this motor

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTRX3&P=0

Im running a Team AE B4 and I WILL be racing. what is a good grearing right now i think its at 24-81 and thats with a 14x2 brushed motor
Old 03-05-2009, 06:51 PM
nitrozach54
Banned

Default RE: Gearing help

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3255405/tm.htm
Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM
For_The_Win

No lie ive read that soo many times i dont get it.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Chris_RC

Neither do many people. I read that once, but go by my own rules of gearing. Couple questions.....

What brushless esc will you be using with the Eraser 13.5T? I would actually reccomend a Novak mtoor, as this is what most popel run. LRP speedo, novak motor.

Your going to be running in the super stock class because of the 13.5T motor right?

There is NO PERFECT gearing for ANYTHING. My suggestion is to buy ALL pinions from 20-32, and get a bunch of spur gears and see what you like best. You might like alot of accelration, might like more top speed. So just get a bunch of pinions and spurs and experiment!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
For_The_Win

Im useing the Lrp Brushless A.I esc that matches it. Right now im running 24-81 i would like alitte bit more speed and ill be happy. But im worried about the motor heat than the esc i can touch the esc for a long time. but the motor for a good 5 sec befor it hurts.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 PM
aramid

There's really no replacement for an infrared thermometer when you're picking gearing. Doing touch-tests to make sure you're at a safe temperature is unreliable and inaccurate. Drop the $20 for a decent thermometer and you'll never have to question your gearing again.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: For_The_Win

Im useing the Lrp Brushless A.I esc that matches it. Right now im running 24-81 i would like alitte bit more speed and ill be happy. But im worried about the motor heat than the esc i can touch the esc for a long time. but the motor for a good 5 sec befor it hurts.
I agree with aramid, there is really no replacement for a good temp gun. It will take the guessing out of gearing, which could burn your motor. The esc should barely get hot. The motor should get around 150.

You have a 14X2 mtoor but you want more speed? The 13.5 is equivalent to a 19t brushed motor, so you will see less performance. How often was the comm cut and brushes changes and bearing oileD? That makes a HUGE differnece in performance.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 PM
For_The_Win

I forgot to get a temp gun at the Lhs. But its not hot enough me to take my finger off so i say its around 150 160. And the the motor. Its my crap one that i used for fun. My real motor is my 12x2 orion revolution. But as for gearing should i drop the pinion to 21 instead of 24 would that give me better speed?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: For_The_Win

I forgot to get a temp gun at the Lhs. But its not hot enough me to take my finger off so i say its around 150 160. And the the motor. Its my crap one that i used for fun. My real motor is my 12x2 orion revolution. But as for gearing should i drop the pinion to 21 instead of 24 would that give me better speed?
The finger test varies +25- degrees per person so it is not an accurate way to temp it. The motor should only run at about 150. That 12X2 should be WAY more powerful than a 13.5, why do you even want a 13.5 then? About a 12X2 would be a Novak 6.5. And did you ever cut the communtator or put new brushes in that motor? For a brushed motor, those things make it comeback to life! Lower gearing=less top speed, more runtime, lower temps.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:18 PM
For_The_Win

Ive always wanted a brushless and its easier. And when i put the 12x2 everything would run hot no matter what i did.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Chris_RC

If you would gear lower, it wouldnt get as hot. Other reasons could be not cutting the communtator, repalcing brushes, etc. Did you do any of those? What is your esc rated to in brushed turns?