Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk XT

Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
kshoopman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk XT

Sparrowhawk XT. Does any body own one. I would really like to get one but I can't find out much about it. RC CARACTION has a review on the pay site but I'm not a member. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks![link]http://www.thundertiger.com/product/6537-F.html[/link]
Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 PM
kshoopman

Default RE: Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk XT

Wow! No one? Oh well,I went ahead and ordered one today. I'll give a review once I get it and have a chance to run a few battery packs through it.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM
moebigslee

I saw pics of this truck a little while ago but I couldn't find any info about it. I saw a-main listed it on thier web site today for $199.00 but they don't have it in stock yet. Where did you order yours from and how much did they charge you? I've been wanting a 4wd electric for a while now. I just had a $300 2 week old novak hv 1/8 scale system go up in smoke so I think I'm going to go back to the 1/10 scale stuff until the 1/8 scale stuff gets more reliable. This truck looks like it's exactly what I've been wanting with out having to do a costly conversion. It looks to be pretty durable too. I was looking at the 1/10 4wd buggys on the market but they seem a little too fragile for me even though I only run on tracks. I can't wait to see how this truck works out!
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ucts_id/138555
Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

well, how much was it? I look forward to hearing about it.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:42 AM
kshoopman

[link]http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=TTR6537F42!1009[/link]I paid 199.00 for it @ UltimateHobbies with free shipping. They say it's in stock.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:20 AM
e123

I've never heard of that thing but it looks cool - I want one now! Doesnt Thunder Tiger make AE stuff? Definately looking forward to your review.

Edit: Couldnt find a review but here is a video: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmkrcB3Z9I]link[/link]
Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 AM
moebigslee

Cool video, thanks for posting it. Yes, I do believe thunder tiger owns AE. I don't know if this truck has anything in common with any current or past AE vehicles but I've had good luck with all my previous thunder tiger products. As long as your ok with probably having to mail order most of your parts (can you say over night shipping!) I don't see any reason not to buy a thunder tiger car/truck.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:31 AM
fasterrcs

ae owns thunder tiger. i have wanted one for a while now there just not available in the u.s. yet. you can get one from overseas but part support will be limited till there hit u.s. shores
Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: fasterrcs

ae owns thunder tiger. i have wanted one for a while now there just not available in the u.s. yet. you can get one from overseas but part support will be limited till there hit u.s. shores
Thunder Tiger owns AE.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
kshoopman

I'll have to wait and watch that video at home after work. Youtube is blocked here at work.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM
moebigslee

I broke down and ordered a sparrow hawk xt today! A-main has them in stock now and since I had a store credit with them I ordered on up. I also ordered another speed control so I'll be throwing in a 4600kv sidewinder system and a 2.4ghz radio as soon as I get it. I hope this purchase turns out better than my last. I bought a novak 1/8 scale brushless conversion for mt cen matrix back in march and all I can say is what a joke that system is! It's a $300 paper weight! I used it maybe 20min of run time total ( all very easy testing) and it went up is smoke. Novak still has it and I'm waiting to hear if they're going to warranty it. I wanted a 4wd electric and I thought the 1/8 scale was the way to go but I think the speedo/motor companies need a couple more years to get this 1/8 scale stuff as reliable as the 1/10 brushless systems. So thats why I decided to try the sparrow hawk. I hope it turns out to be a durable 1/10 electric 4wd. I've been wanting a 4wd stadium truck for a long time and this truck fits the bill. I'll let you guys know how it is after I get it and get the stock electronics switched out with the new stuff.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:33 PM
kshoopman

I have a box waiting for me at home from Ultimate Hobbies!Can't wait to get off work and get it opened up. Will be running it a little this Sunday hopefully (have to work this Saturday). Should have a report on this truck Monday.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:16 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

dont forget to include some photos
Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 PM
MTboy

I'm interested in hearing what this is like. Looks good and 4WD would be nice to have. Monday we wait...
Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 PM
m3cosmos

I'm intereted but I wish they made a roller version and a design a body more like the truggies today.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 PM
kshoopman

Got the truck out of the box tonight and it looks great. It does have a metal gear servo which I really didn't expect. I will have to look into getting some adjustable turnbuckles though. The fit and finish on the body is excellent. I just can't imagine how they mass produce the bodies?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:19 AM
kshoopman

Well is only able to run three battery packs thru the truck since it rained on Sunday. 1st pack went well,the truck was pretty quick with about 8-10 minute run time. Handled pretty well right out of the box even though it was slightly muddy. 2nd pack I noticed that only the rear wheels were turning. After looking it over I noticed that the 4wd shaft had fallen out. Further inspection and found the set screw that holds the rear drive cup had become loose. After that repair finished out the battery with no problem. When installing the 3rd battery I noticed the left front shock was leaking and a rear shock was slightly leaking. By the end of the 3rd pack the left front shock must have been completely empty. It was a handful to drive with that wheel bouncing around. I have emailed Thunder Tiger to see about them replacing the shocks. I guess this will test their customer service.
Another thing I noticed was the front wheels do pull as much as the rear. Setting the front wheels only on the ground they would not spin on power, but do spin when holding the truck off the ground. My only other 4wd truck is the wheely king and it seems to have the same power front and rear. Would putting different fluids in each diff fix this? The diffs are greased from the factory but the manual says that they can be filled with oil.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:56 AM
kahnen

ORIGINAL: kshoopman

Another thing I noticed was the front wheels do pull as much as the rear. Setting the front wheels only on the ground they would not spin on power, but do spin when holding the truck off the ground. My only other 4wd truck is the wheely king and it seems to have the same power front and rear. Would putting different fluids in each diff fix this? The diffs are greased from the factory but the manual says that they can be filled with oil.

It must have a center diff. Adding thicker oil/grease to the center diff or locking it completely, stuffing some play doh(yes kids Play Doh, better than jb welding it, since you can remove the Play Doh if you wanted to put it back to normal) in there instead of grease, will make both front and rear have power at once.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
kshoopman

It does not have a center diff. Just a shaft.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 AM
kahnen

Ok, after looking it over a bit more I see this:

"an externally adjusted dual-pad slipper clutch, which transfers power to the ground more efficiently and effectively"

Looks like it has a slipper that effects the how much power goes to the front. Probably is to loose, try tighting it.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:49 PM
kshoopman

Thanks I'll give that a try. The manual is pretty much worthless as far as any adjustments. No where in it does tell to adjust "an externally adjusted dual-pad slipper clutch,which transfers power to the ground more efficiently and effectively".
Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM
kshoopman

Thunder Tiger answered my email. They told me to contact ACE HOBBY their US distributer about my shock issue. ACE tells me they will replace the 2 leaking shocks,but not til after I send in the defective ones. Now I have built and rebuilt multitudes of shocks so I could reseal them if the correct size orings could be found locally, but I just think that Thunder tiger should replace them being brand new. I guess I'll have to see if my t3 shocks are the same size til I get the replacements.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:23 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They did a reveiw in RCDriver of this RC...And they liked it for a beginner..Topped out at 20mph on radar.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:18 PM
moebigslee

According to the tracking info I was given I should have mine on thursday. I'll be putting in a brushless system and I guess now some new shocks before I drive it. I'll let you guys know how this thing likes having some extra power thrown at it! I don't mind upgrading things like shocks, tires ,wheels ,and motors as long as the basic drive line proves to be solid and reliable.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 PM
kshoopman

ORIGINAL: moebigslee

According to the tracking info I was given I should have mine on thursday. I'll be putting in a brushless system and I guess now some new shocks before I drive it. I'll let you guys know how this thing likes having some extra power thrown at it! I don't mind upgrading things like shocks, tires ,wheels ,and motors as long as the basic drive line proves to be solid and reliable.

moebigslee, I hope you get your truck today. I had to send my leaky shocks in to ACE HOBBY today. I was hoping they were more like Traxxas's customer service and send the shocks first, but they want the old ones first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.