Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

..::The Beater Builds Thread v2.0::..

Old 05-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Krawlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..::The Beater Builds Thread v2.0::..

The same awesome RC's, the same great information and tips, but an all new thread! The Beater Builds Thread v2.0! This new Beater Builds Thread (2.0) is here to make finding information on these great builds easier, since trying to find something in a 160 page thread isn't exactly easy. This thread is for only durability upgraded RC's, a place to post a whole build of your upgraded RC and discuss with other members about upgrades and upgrading, tips and tricks, and general information.

So to start off, here is a list of the current users doing builds in the first Beater Builds Thread, and the ones who will continue their builds in this new Beater Builds Thread v2.0

- Krawlin
- Fusebmx13
- JTKirk
- traxxaspede
- camaross427
- Wild YFZ 450
- MuggyDude
- Brushlessrustler4600
- warheadforever
- Beomagi
- oday1395

- Sorry in advance if I forgot anyone!

- And please, if you have an RC upgraded for durability with more than 2 upgrades, PLEASE POST IT HERE AND DO A BUILD OF IT HERE! I KNOW THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE OUT THERE WITH HIGHLY UPGRADED RC'S, SO POST THEM AND A BUILD OF THEM!

Now everything has some terms and conditions, so lets set some things straight since the old thread had problems with this.

- DO NOT POST STOCK RC's OR RC's WITH ONLY POWER UPGRADES! THIS IS A THREAD FOR RC's WITH DURABILITY UPGRADES!

- Again, this thread is for RC's upgraded for durability so they can withstand the most crazy bashing. Just because you bash your RC really hard doesn't make it a Beater Build RC in the since of this thread. So please, DO NOT post stock RC's, your post will be reported.

- This may sound repetitive, but this thread is meant for highly upgraded RC's. If it was for stock RC's, everyone could post, and there would be nothing unique about the thread. It's a thread for highly upgraded RC's, so please only post your highly upgraded RC that is upgraded for durability, no stock trucks.

- Only post RC's with at least 2 durability upgrades or more. This means things like RPM arms, aftermarket aluminum parts, or homemade parts that increase durability.
Things like brushless motors and ESC's, servo's, hard cased LiPo's, etc. are not durability upgrades

- NO NITRO'S!!! THERE IS A REASON WHY THIS THREAD IS IN THE ELECTRIC SECTION, BECAUSE IT IS FOR ONLY ELECTRIC RC'S!

- If someone posts a stock truck, please report their post. Do not comment on it, do not flame the person, just report the post and link the moderators to this first post, that way there is no conflict and it is resolved in a civil manner.

- Please everyone, do not post very large pictures. If you have to post full size ones rather than attach them, at the maximum only post a 640x480, otherwise it makes the thread page super long and takes forever to scroll through it.

So for those of you who had builds in the first Beater Builds Thread, continue posting where you left off in the old thread here in The Beater Builds Thread v2.0, and if you want go ahead and post pictures of your truck in current form and a list of upgrades so people new to this thread know what you have!
Old 05-10-2009, 01:55 PM
warheadforever

Default RE: ..::The Beater Builds Thread v2.0::..

Here some pics of mine!

Old 05-10-2009, 01:56 PM
brushlessrustler4600

Wheely King axles
Axial tranny,
ckrc Rockstar Chassis
Axial lower links
Pro-Line Hammers, weighted and cut.
21t motor
Pro-pulse esc
TQ3
Hi torque servo

Soon, Integty 45t motor
Tekin esc

Old 05-10-2009, 02:29 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

You forgot me Chris! haha. Im back and have a new build! I recently got an Lightning Stadium Pro truggy and I am going to convert it to electric! so far it has...
-7075 aluminum chassis
-aluminum servo mounts
-aluminum steering knuckles
-wing and mount
-and some other stuff im probally forgetting(lol)
-going to get

-RCM mount
-have a MMM
-medusa 36-70
-zippy 5s lipo.

I will post pics in a few minutes
Old 05-10-2009, 02:54 PM
fusebmx13

What up with the crawler?
I am getting some new parts today. I am getting a shock tower, body, and body mounts. I decided just to paint the body black. I also ordered some 17mm adapters .
Old 05-10-2009, 02:58 PM
brushlessrustler4600

Its got an upgraded chassis, and aluminum links Plus all the gears are metal
Old 05-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Krawlin

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

What up with the crawler?
I am getting some new parts today. I am getting a shock tower, body, and body mounts. I decided just to paint the body black. I also ordered some 17mm adapters .
What body? Stock or a Proline body? If it's a proline body you should get this..... http://www.prolineracing.com/p-652-c...xas-slash.aspx
Old 05-10-2009, 03:24 PM
SlashBasher

Pics as promised
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89928.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1195705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11199.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1195706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62326.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1195707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26763.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1195708  
Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 PM
traxxaspede

I'm currently making a chassis extension for my pede. It will make it 1 1/2 inches longer. I just drilled holes for the rear brace/skid 1 1/2 inches further back and I'm making a little 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate to take up the space on the top. It should be pretty sturdy.

I also have custom aluminum ESC hold down, front suspension brace and wheelie bar. RPM bumper, arms and bearing carriers, 5x11 bearings all around, steel ring-gear diff, aluminum idler (which I want to replace with a steel one) aluminum shock caps, VXL spec steering links, masher 2000 tires on RPM claws rims died blue, stronger pin on the top gear, steel diff outdrives, mamba max/VXL combo, zippy 2s 4000mah lipos and velcro battery and RX hold downs, pro-line '72 (i think) chevy pick-up body painted bright green (thought it was a different color of green, but I like it). geez, it's hard to remember all this.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:19 PM
iTz Nicholas

My RC18T FT

Upgrades:
RPM Bumper
DP Gear Cover
DP Drag Link
ProPulse Dirt Hawg Tires
Hitec HS-56HB Servo
CC Mamba 25 ESC
eZRun 12T 7800kv Motor
Rhino 1750 2S 25C LiPo
Shimmed Diffs
O-Ring Mod for Shock
Tightened Servo Saver
HobbyCity Deans Plugs w/ grips

Coming Soon:
RPM Shock Towers
RPM A Arms
Custom Rear Bumper/Wheelie Bar
TheToyz Steel Diffs
TheToyz Heat Sink w/ Thermal Paste

That should be everything I need for it and then I'll start my Hyper ST Pro conversion! It's 95% ready to run but I'm waiting on the:
eZRun 12T 7800kv Motor
Stock Motor Mount
Screw Kit
HobbyCity Deans Plugs

Everything should be here by next Friday considering most of whats left is coming from Hong Kong.

Once I finish this project I'm going to start my HoBoa Hyper ST Pro Conversion! I think I know exactly what I'm going to get for it but the list may change so far it includes:
HoBoa Hyper ST Pro - $330
Castle Creations MMM v3 - $140
HobbyCity KD36/74 9XL 1900kv - $30 (I know this motor is going to run hot but it's temporary)
Zippy FlightMax 5000mah 5S 30C - $100
Custom Motor Mount - $10
Custom Battery Tray - $10

I don't know what durability upgrades that will need but I'll probably end up getting some stiffer springs since they are known to be so heavy and a custom chassis brace.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
iTz Nicholas

Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 PM
fusebmx13

Hey guys. Just finished today. It has a battery through it and it is running pretty good. Next is the body that I got. Oh Chris, I got the proline hardcorr body. I don't like the carnage ones, and my lhs doesn't have them. I can break my own bodies .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88973.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1195889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50188.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1195890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79675.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1195891  
Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM
traxxaspede

I got the extension finished. It turns out I don't need to get a different body, or even drill different holes. I just mount the rear body mount on the front side of the shock tower with the post angled towards the front instead of towards the back. And 1.5 inches longer should help it not roll so much, but what will it do to the turning? I think my next project will be to widen it using this method. It makes it 14+ inches wide front and back compared to 12.75 inches stock. With my extension and the wide conversion, it will be about 14" wide and 17.75" long not counting the RPM bumper and my wheelie bar. put that into comparison with the 8IGHT 2.0 buggy, the 8IGHT is 12.13 inches wide and 19.56 inches long. I would almost have a 1/8 scale stampede!

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65373
http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/proje...project-05.php
Old 05-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Krawlin

Lol, good point fuse! And hurry up and get that body painted! For some reason, Slashes just look really weird to me without the body on, not sure why they just look strange without the body, lol.

And thats awesome traxxaspede! You going to do the wide pede/Jade conversion?

And I guess I should chime in on the updates, I have a new one for my Maxx. Ran it twice today, its running great, and found a solution to lower my temps (its running about 165* on the motor, hotter than I would like it to run). Just have to remove my lightkit all together or move the control unit for it some where besides the front shock tower. The control unit for my lightkit is blocking all airflow through the shock tower, with the control unit moved, there will be massive amount of fresh air flowing to and through the motor, basically ram air, and that should cool it down almost 10*. I am also going to try to make some kind of fan setup for the back of the motor since the shaft extends out the back and has a flat spot. I will probably use a Novak fan (cut the center out, have the blades attached to a hub with no center basically) and CA it to a pinion of the right size, that way it will blow more fresh air through the motor, if I can get that to work it should lower my temps maybe another 5* to 10*. I am also going to get a Medusa heatsink for it, which will lower my temp hopefully another 5* to 10*. Other than that my temps are fine, LiPo's never get over 125* and the fan on the MMM has not come on at all meaning its staying well below 150*. I am totally pleased with this center diff conversion on it, too. Totally worth all the time, effort, and the little bit of money I put into it.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 PM
fusebmx13

It looks weird I agree. BUT, it looks even worse with the old body.... I was kinda showing the all black theme so far.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:47 PM
traxxaspede

yeah, i might do the conversion. I gotta add up all the parts and see what it would cost first...

[X(] price on tower comes out to $62.64. Is it really worth it just to get another 2 inches wider front and rear?

heres all the parts you would need
LXLXB2 RPM Front A-Arms Black Jato (2)
1 10.99 Delete this item
LXLYC3 RPM Rear A-Arms Black Jato (2)
1 10.99 Delete this item
LXJE76 Traxxas Shock Tower Front SRT
1 5.79 Delete this item
LX2543 Associated Turnbuckles 1.65" (2)
1 2.89 Delete this item
LXJK26 Traxxas Shock Spacers 4-Tec (6)
1 2.39 Delete this item
LXKMG6 Traxxas Rear Left & Right Stub Axle Carrier Jato
1 3.39 Delete this item
LXHFT0 Traxxas Ball Bearings 10x15x4mm Revo (2)
Qty Discount Available
1 6.69 Delete this item
LXSP04 Traxxas Turnbuckles 96mm T-Maxx (2)
1 5.79 Delete this item
LXEV21 RPM Long Shank Rod Ends (12)
Qty Discount Available
1 4.79 Delete this item
LXM770 HPI 4-40 Ball Black (4)
Qty Discount Available
1 2.89 Delete this item
L5AMG902 DuraTrax Locknut 3mm (10)
NOTE:"Price Each" reflects price for each quantity of 2 to be shipped
2 3.65 Delete this item
LXHFN0 Traxxas Button Head Machine Screw 3x15mm Revo (6)

In-Stock Items: $62.64
Combined: $62.64
Old 05-11-2009, 07:54 AM
fusebmx13

Not really worth it if you ask me. I did that before (not the same way) and I loved it until I broke something. Then you have to re modify everything just to put the part on. It was just a pain to me. What I would do is get some 1/8 buggy adapters and get a set of tires. That will halp the handling a ton due to the small sidewall. That is what I am doing to my slash and hopefully doing to my rustler in the future.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 AM
warheadforever

Hey guys. Just finished today. It has a battery through it and it is running pretty good. Next is the body that I got. Oh Chris, I got the proline hardcorr body. I don't like the carnage ones, and my lhs doesn't have them. I can break my own bodies .
Looks good man! I like it!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
fusebmx13

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

Looks good man! I like it!
Thanks, took long enough to do. Took me about two days of work after school and stuff. I am still not done yet. I need to figure out if I want to do a monster body or just paint it black. I don't want to have a bunch of work into one body for it to get ruined.....

Oh yea I almost forgot the list..
Slash:
RPM arms all around
RPM front and rear skids
RPM front shock tower
RPM black revolver crawler rims narrow
RPM rear bumper mount
RPM front bearing carriers
Traxxas red aluminum rear bearing carriers
Traxxas red aluminum caster blocks
Traxxas wheelie bar
Dynamite Sway bar
Proline hardcorr body (in the works on a monster shell)
Proline Flat Irons
Dyed the chassis, tranny case, and bulkhead black
BadHorsie black shock socks
Mamba max esc
VXL motor
A couple zippy 3s 5000's
Traxxas 2.4 radio system

Might have left some stuff out. But this is all I could think of. I will list the rustler when I get a new chassis and some pics.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:12 PM
traxxaspede

could you post the parts i would need to use buggy tires
Old 05-11-2009, 02:39 PM
fusebmx13

adapters. I cannot find any ones that make it stock width. The only ones I can find for the pede or rustler are the integy extended ones. Sooooo what I will be doing is. Taking my rear arms off of my rustler and putting some rears from a slash on it. This will make the offset able to use the FLM adapters and be equal. I don't know if you understand what I am trying to say. But the bottom line is you need 17mm adapters, and tires and rims of your choice. Personally, my lhs has some cheap 13 dollar tires and rims. I will be getting those and they are only like 26 bucks for a full set.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:03 PM
SlashBasher

Your slash looks sick Fuse! and sounds cool chris! I need $5 more and I can buy the RC-monster mount for my truggy. I will probaly make a batt tray and use the fiegao untill i can sell the nitro engine and the fiegao to buy a medusa(which wont be long)
Old 05-11-2009, 06:16 PM
traxxaspede

hmm...would these work?
http://www.fastlanemachine.com/Publi...7/Default.aspx
there at the bottom of the page
Old 05-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Krawlin

adapters. I cannot find any ones that make it stock width. The only ones I can find for the pede or rustler are the integy extended ones. Sooooo what I will be doing is. Taking my rear arms off of my rustler and putting some rears from a slash on it. This will make the offset able to use the FLM adapters and be equal. I don't know if you understand what I am trying to say. But the bottom line is you need 17mm adapters, and tires and rims of your choice. Personally, my lhs has some cheap 13 dollar tires and rims. I will be getting those and they are only like 26 bucks for a full set.
Traxxaspede, those will not work, those will actually change the width of his slash, will make the rear to narrow I believe.

What you need are those FLM ones for the slash, and you don't need to switch the arms or anything. There is a reason for them being extended, and that is because most 1/8 buggy wheels are zero offset, while standard Slash/Rusty/Pede wheels are usually 1/4 or 1/2 offset, so you need an extended adapter to make up for the lack of offset in the wheel. Trust me they will work, there are many people running those FLM extended 17mm adapters on their Slashes at the LHS, and they keep the Slash at its stock width. They are in stock at RC-Monster - http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=flm21100
Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 PM
traxxaspede

what tire would you recommend? I do mostly running on the street/gravel/dirt and some grass. probably 30% street/gravel and 20% dirt/grass. I want something not too big, not really skinny, not really expensive and about the same size as mashers. It seems like most tires are the mini-pin type and those would wear out fast in gravel/street running probably.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.