Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help with prep for racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Lurp06x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with prep for racing

i have been out at the course in town by me an i am always burning out in the corners or sliding. it was a little muddy an. but otherwise it was dry. I have a Traxxas Rustler XL-5 stock motor for the race an stock servo. i have one 6cell 4200mah. batt an two 7cell 4200mah batts. plus i have the Alias tires on front an back. my gearing is 19t pinion, an 90t spur. i thinking about going back to 23t pinion an keeping the 90t spur because the motor was pretty cool when i checked after about a half hour of constant driving at the track. whats happening is when i get to the turns an i fine going through them but when i accerate out of the turn it just spins out. same goes for when i come to a jump an i am at a bad angle an i try to correct my self right before the jump when i am accerating to go over it it just spins out direction. some tips or suggestions would be nice. otherwise i just figure it out through trial an error.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:34 PM
For_The_Win

Default RE: Help with prep for racing

Well rustlers arnt known to be racers... Try softening up the front shocks a tad
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Chris_RC

Softening the front shocks will make it worse-more front grip=less rear grip. WHy would you say that For_The_Win? Anyway, your tires are the problem. Always remember tires are 90% of your setup. A picture of video of the track would be greatly appreicated to help decide what tires to get.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Softening the front shocks will make it worse-more front grip=less rear grip. WHy would you say that For_The_Win? Anyway, your tires are the problem. Always remember tires are 90% of your setup. A picture of video of the track would be greatly appreicated to help decide what tires to get.
Thats what I do and it fixes it..
Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Lurp06x

yeah sorry i dont have a video or any pics. but tires. its mostly your typical compacted dirt track with high 3ft burms on most turns. a camel, a quad, some whoops. but tires are the problem ok because after do a couple of runs at the track when i got home i raised the swining arms up so theres more clearance off the ground an stiffened each one. well i cracked my front shock tower so the front suspension is disconnected untill i get that replaced. an i know that the rustler isnt much of a racer but its just a stock race an i am being put in with all the slashes so i think i should be fine i just need more control on coming out of the turns when accerating. but tires are the main problem what about those slash tires since they are narrower an less surface area wouldnt that mean more more weight for more bite in to the turn for more control?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Chris_RC

I wouldnt get those Slash tires. They really dont provide that much traction-it is just the weight of the cars that make them look like they have tons of traction. Is there a name of the track I can find videos on youtube on? Once I do this, I can tell you what tires you need. Do not just add ride height just because, that is a tuning option. However, if you want a little more rear traction you could add 1 or 2 small spacers and that might help. Do you have enough steering? Or is just getting around the track hard?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Definitely check your tires. Then soften your rear shocks (or stand them up a bit).
Old 05-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Lurp06x

ok well i took my girl friend with me to video tape me doing a couple of laps around the track. an go easy on me i have had my rustler for less than a week. but thanks for the tips but so stand the rear shocks up more is there any chance that the rustler will flip over more? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnGi6BbDzC8

Old 05-16-2009, 11:00 AM
For_The_Win

All that water your hitting is screwing you up..
Old 05-16-2009, 12:32 PM
TIGER76

Like said the rustler isnt the best race truck tbh

But with the sliding out on the corners you need to use the race lines around the track tight into the corners and power out slow n smooth on the power you should coast around the corner before putting the power down, seemed like you were all over the track you would be a nightmare to lap in a race lol but like you said youve had it a week so it takes time check the track over look for the race lines and try and stick the truck on it all the way around you will start to just concentrate on the lines youve choose in the end and not the whole track

That works for me on a new layout track.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Chris_RC

You arent that bad of a driver, pretty good for just getting it. New tires would help the most. Look at Proline, Losi, and JConcepts tires..  Look for pins like proline bowties or something like proline holeshots in other brands and see if they come premounted. Those would be your best bet. Also, you would need to get an adapter to run more poular wheels because the hex style adapters on the rustler arent on any other trucks. And stay out of the water!!!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Lurp06x

I really didnt see any racing lines were the majority of the cars travel on the race track. it rained the day before. but yeah i need to work on my driving we'll see how well i do in tomorrows race wish me luck. its just a stock race for rustlers, slashs, stampedes, anything of that sort. but i will look at tires well i have been looking at tires but i been thinking its mostly just me so i going to save my money for when i am determined that i need new tires.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:56 PM
calvino

I can agree 100% on tires.  I have an RC18T and a ST-1 truggy, and the RC18T is VERY tire picky.  I went from the zip grip tires (like what you have) to some higher grip treads and instantly noticed an increase.   A friend of mine has a Rustler and those tires are CRAP on grip.  I would stick with Chris and look for tires like Pro-Line Bowties, (maybe) holeshots (wear faster than bowties), or even gladiators depending on the surface.  If the track is wet, I would say holeshots just because they don't clog with mud as easy as other tires.  Dry, bowties or maybe gladiators.  Looks like a prety good track but.... bad tires make it alot harder.  I think with some better tires/little pratice you should be holdin a good line on the track.  Keep us posted
Old 05-16-2009, 11:06 PM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

hi i live in minnesota and i was wondering if u know of any other tracks in minnesota