Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Which cars/trucks would you NOT recommend, based on your experience?

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Which cars/trucks would you NOT recommend, based on your experience?

Old 06-21-2009, 11:03 PM
st_dragn_wagen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which cars/trucks would you NOT recommend, based on your experience?

wouldn't recommend a HPI nitro RS4 2. strictly because of the engine. ill tempered peace of crap with no power. but they don't make it anymore so problem solved. not recommending it isn't a problem anymore.
no way in hell would i recommend a: rustler, nitro rustler, nitro sport, 4tec, nitro 4tec, t-maxx, revo, jato,slash,or nitro stamped (although i think they have changed the engine in that one sense i last got my hands on one and the engine was my only complaint. of course i never got a chance to run it sense it never fricken started!). nothing but frustration and problems with every last one of those cars
Old 06-21-2009, 11:07 PM
disjaukifa
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Which cars/trucks would you NOT recommend, based on your experience?

ORIGINAL: st_dragn_wagen

wouldn't recommend a HPI nitro RS4 2. strictly because of the engine. ill tempered peace of crap with no power. but they don't make it anymore so problem solved. not recommending it isn't a problem anymore.
no way in hell would i recommend a: rustler, nitro rustler, nitro sport, 4tec, nitro 4tec, t-maxx, revo, jato, slash, or nitro stamped (although i think they have changed the engine in that one sense i last got my hands on one and the engine was my only complaint. of course i never got a chance to run it sense it never fricken started!). nothing but frustration and problems with every last one of those cars
So just out of curiosity is there a Traxxas you would recommend, because I think every car you listed was Traxxas.

-Disjaukifa
Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Access

My two failures were a duratrax mini-quake and a losi mini-LST.  Both had chronic transmission failures.  I would fix them only to have to have them break again repeatedly.  Not worth the trouble, every other truck I've had has worked out fine or at least met my expectations. 
Old 06-22-2009, 06:07 AM
amen

I ordered a hobao hyper mini st electric ! I hope this one goes on the "like list"
Old 06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
st_dragn_wagen

ORIGINAL: disjaukifa

no way in hell would i recommend a: rustler, nitro rustler, nitro sport, 4tec, nitro 4tec, t-maxx, revo, jato,slash,or nitro stamped (although i think they have changed the engine in that one sense i last got my hands on one and the engine was my only complaint. of course i never got a chance to run it sense it never fricken started!). nothing but frustration and problems with every last one of those cars
So just out of curiosity is there a Traxxas you would recommend, because I think every car you listed was Traxxas.

-Disjaukifa
ya know, the only traxxas iv ever gotten my hands on and didn't have a problem with was the electric stampede. came out of the box with a few loose screw's, bad gear mesh, was slow and lacked adjustability (which sucked because it had some alignment issues, we never did get it to drive in a straight line). but it wasn't to bad to fart around with.
i don't remember messing with an e-maxx and iv yet to get my hands ona slayer so.... but im guessing sense the e-maxx is t-maxx based and the slayer seems to be revo based at least suspension wise. im going to guess ill have issues with both trucks.
probably 60% of my problems with the nitro cars were engine and starter system based. they really need to come up with a decent engine, and most importantly get rid of that damn ez start system
Old 06-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Redvanmafia

whats wrong with the ez start?,
Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
gelbschnee

Everything is wrong with ez start. I'd say the first thing is MORE BATTERIES to carry around, and also because it's totally unnecessary.
I'm going to defend the electric stampede. I build my own as a kit, back when it came with a manual speed control and the traxxas scorpion 20 turn. I put that truck through more abuse jumping it on concrete, smashing it into trees/poles/whatever and basically anything you would think would be destructive to an rc.. it took the abuse and asked for more.

But whatever you do, Don't go with any nitro duratrax rc, I have had a few duratrax rcs and I never had anything but problems, especially their nitro engines, i replaced my piston/sleeve way too many times. the engines were just so cheap they would break easily under normal use.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:05 PM
SacramentoJoe

For example, I see that Duratrax is making the "Wouldn't Buy Again"  list pretty consistently. Are there happy Duratrax owners? Certainly, but it doesn't seem to be the norm.
I was wondering how many posts before this kind of statement came up.  The only one I could not not recommend is the Evader ST and BX, because they don't make them anymore.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:54 PM
nitrocomplex1776

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

Give me an ez start over a pull start any day!

I get more then enough of that from my dumb lawn mower i don't need that when i run my t-maxx

Old 06-22-2009, 05:43 PM
st_dragn_wagen

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

first off battery's, you have to be set up like an electric guy to run nitro, soits extra cost. extra crap to carry around. extra maintenance. extra equipment that wears out and breaks. iv come across several that were temperamental, some days it would start the car and someday's it wouldn't. there were several times we had to tinker with the car for about an hour before it finally started. they are a completenescience's.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Jeremy Z

Guys, this is the Electric forum. A big part of the reason we like electrics is that there's no jerking around with starting engines.

Sacrementojoe: Sorry, it wasn't me that said it. I never had any experience with Duratrax. It was everyone who owned one who voted who said they wouldn't buy them again. No hard feelings, the majority of us just don't seem to like them
Old 06-22-2009, 10:02 PM
cjg

I have two Evader BX and  MQ. I like them both, and they are durable. The thing about duratrax is that they are budget r/c cars. Typically there is one to two things you need to do to make them durable. For example, with the MQ, replace the ESC. It will only strip gears as it goes from full forward to full reverse, no brake. 

So many people bash DTX, personally I like them, drive them far more than I ever drove my Losi XXXT.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:25 PM
disjaukifa
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: cjg

I have two Evader BX and MQ. I like them both, and they are durable. The thing about duratrax is that they are budget r/c cars. Typically there is one to two things you need to do to make them durable. For example, with the MQ, replace the ESC. It will only strip gears as it goes from full forward to full reverse, no brake.

So many people bash DTX, personally I like them, drive them far more than I ever drove my Losi XXXT.
I just sold my two Duratrax Evader Buggies. The only thing I had against that buggy was it seemed to have a problem keeping the axles in, I must have lost the axles 7 or 8 times because that small pin kept coming out . . . other than that they were excellent buggies.

-Disjaukifa
Old 06-23-2009, 05:15 AM
teamwolfman rc

im gonna jump in here. in the 2 years i ahve been in the hobby only the losi mini and micros sucked. i am not much of a racer. i have owned 2 duratrax vehicles. an exb and i own a raze. and i loved that exb. it got me my first finish in racing where i was on the lead lap. i thought i was battling hard for third. turned out the race i was in was for the lead. a 5 minute main with a duratrax buggy driven by a poor driver coming home second. the buggy was a blast to drive. i raced agaisnt losi and associated buggies. and was easily able to keep pace with them. my very next race was a blowout. wit hmy tamiya db-01 durga. with a 19t or 17t orion brushed motor. i beat 3 other drivers for my first win. but it wasnt fair. i was the only 4wd driver. one of the vehicles was a traxxas nitro sport. had a b4 and i think a losi buggy. at the start got a good jump on the otehrs. but in the first turn i lost some ground and got caught up in a crash. all 4 vehicles were involved. never looked back. wasnt fair though. while the other shad to feather the throttle in turns i kept my tamiya at aobut half throttle all race long. never had to lift. the db-01 is an excellent vehicle. anyways here is my lsit:
dont buy:
any losi mini or micro
expensive race vehicle if you are gonna bash

vehicles i really enjoy or enjoyed:
duratrax evader exb
slash
rj speed funny car
emaxx (only got 6 emaxx's)

vehicles im planning on getting or really want:
caster f8t
robitronic mantis txs
mlp mpf 109
tamiya levant or thunder tiger sparrowhawk xt
Old 06-23-2009, 04:00 PM
traxxas4ever

i have had god luck with my rc. i havnt regretted any of my purchases.

id have to say my favorite truck would be my e-revo though. that thing runs forever. it is the most durrable car i own. my xxx-t is pretty nice too. i just had MAJOR problems with the tranny. but it works good now.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM
cougartech67

One truck that I would recommend NOT purchasing is the HPI Brama 10b. As mentioned by many other regretted owners, the entire chassis is made of "peanut brittle" type plastic that will crack and/or break at the first impact of any crash, drop or bump into something, anything. The gearing is terrible and the motor underpowered. In fact, I have a box of HPI Parts, including 2 brand new body's, 2 new Saturn 35T motors, new arms, new spare chassis, and other miscellaneous new parts, etc. For anyone needing replacement and/or spare parts to keep their Brama alive, Just offer me a fair price for them and we will ship them to you, well packed. For those interested, I can send photos of the actual items included in the deal.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Mufasa_719

I am going to go with the pede lovers on this one. I love my pede. Certanly not stock of corse but I just plain love the pede.

Never to buy again.,........................Evader EXT.!!!! I am not going to knock it but it is what it is. A budget truck and it really shows it too.
I simply just dont use it at all.
Another never buy is a T-Maxx. If the grass looked at it wrong it would break in some way.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Skunkworx

no way in hell would i recommend a: rustler, nitro rustler, nitro sport, 4tec, nitro 4tec, t-maxx, revo, jato,slash,or nitro stamped . . . .nothing but frustration and problems with every last one of those cars
I agree. Add in the E-Maxx andBandit too. Whiletons of drivers seem to love Traxxas stuff, I can't be more against any one brand out there. The Jato and 4tec are the most worthless in the entire lineup because you really can't do anything with them besides drag race. The T-maxx and E-maxx are the bane of my RC existance. Like others have mentioned, there's not much I haven't seen that actually holds up on those dang trucks. Seems like 10 minutes of driving = $100 in spare parts and 10 hours fixing them!

Others to top the "bad"list from different manufacturers:
HPI-Hellfire, MT2, andE10 street car. Good ideas, but they just don't hold together!
Losi-Any of the mini cars, their MT (not sure of the name). Fall apart, parts are hard to get, pricey
Associated-hate to say it, but my RC18t has cost me a fortune and it would've been better spent elsewhere.
XTM-Mammoth is a big hunk-'O-junk! The E-Accellerator is a good car, but too expensive to revive($30 for the rear diff. outrageous!). Best dollar for dollar investment otherwise (got it brand-new for less than $100).

The good list:
HPI-Savage X, Savage Flux, E-Firestorm/Flux (either version), Baja 5B or 5T, RS4
Associated-SC8, SC10
Traxxas-Slash, Revo, heard the 1/16th scales are really good too
Offna-Savager

Old 07-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Dan H

Sportwerks Chaos - Absolute crap. Not so great build quality, lot of parts rubbing on the drivetrain. Dogbones fall out easily. Junk electronics. Radio seemed like it took someone half an hour to draw it up on CAD.

HPI Nitro MT - I bought it when it first came out in 2000 or 2001? Drove pretty nice, but would always break. HPI had a lot of revisions done to it to attempt and improve durability. I put a lot of money into it.....then I discovered 1/8th buggies. Way cheaper to run.

Ofna Ultra GT LX - Very bad quality, lot of parts didn't fit right. Pain to work on. Was reasonably durable though. I didn't actually own one. I helped a buddy set one up 8-9yrs ago.

Thunder Tiger Ducati EP - Actually own it now, looking to sell it. Its actually not as bad, but it just requires too many upgrades to make it decent. Out of the box, it needs a lot of work and money. I'm glad they're coming out with an all new bike.

Traxxas Slash - On the fence with this one. Currently own one. The only thing I like about it is its super durable. Everything else, I don't really like or care for at all. It doesn't do anything really well except not break.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Skunkworx

I have the MT2 and it's not much better. Great little truck if it weren't for the front end coming apart all the time. Mine's faster than 95% of the buggies and trucks at my local track, but I can't keep it together long enough to make it more than 3-4 laps without something else flying off of it. Very frustrating.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Druss

I don't know that I have a do not buy list or a favorites list but I do have a drive more often than others list...

Sits on shelf
TA-05R - really need a clean place to race this, just too fast for the regular street
Sportwerks Recoil - so small and low it really just belongs on a track
Losi Desert Truck - I don't like brushed motors and the tranny in this is too weak to handle brushless, other than that it's an ok truck
DB-01 and 501X - Great buggies but need a track, not the best bashers but it does get some time on the road.
Nitros - 3 1/8 nitros and I haven't run any of them in over a month... too much time involved which is a precious commodity when you have two young kids. At least 1 is getting a brushless make over.

Most run
Slash VXL - mostly because this is what I run with my son (in training mode) as it's the one I'm least worried about damaging. Both because it's so durable and the parts are cheap and easy to find.
Summit - my take anywhere and it will handle it truck
Brushless Erevo - speed demon on 2 x 3S
Savage Flux - only run with 2 x 2S because it's almost uncontrollable on 2 x 3S. Very durable basher though.
TT-01 - same reasons as slash

That's not all the vehicles I have but the most memorable. The others get run but not as much as the "most run".
Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 PM
midntpumkin

ORIGINAL: guver

Interesting thread. I'll just list them instead of telling a story about each experience.

Super Hornet
Evader BX
TT-01
Evader ST
E-savage
3906 e-maxx
warhead
thunderquake
stampede
mini-quake
vendetta bx
ODST
Twin detonator
wheelyking
lunchbox
Dark Impact
PTI trucks

yes , PTI trucks are garbage , i have a mini quake-se and alot of aluminum hopups compared to the rtr , solid truck just dont run it into a wall at full throttle lol. dont have a warhead thank god , but did have the thunderquake ... thank god they dont make it anymore lol, super hornet was fun so was the hotshot but i dont think i want to put one of those kits together again . the wheelie king i like but gets boring doing wheelies all the time and flipping over. i think thats it . i dont have the so called bad trucks because i tend to steer away from them like redcat and other elcheapo trucks , if you have them they are pretty much a one time run, use them till they break then throw them out, hard lesson but worth buying name brand truck with extra parts
Old 07-22-2009, 02:15 PM
18r master

from my experiance i would NOT reccomend the sportwerks chaos. its cheap and i got sick of it not runningi let it sit and then just threw it in the trash. no joke i did. it was that bad
Old 07-22-2009, 03:49 PM
john01374

OK I have another truck to add to the “I will not buy” list and I know this will upset and outrage a bunch of people. SC10. Not sure if this is the place for this but I feel I need to explain myself. A neighbor kid got a SC10 for his birthday a couple of weeks back. It was gift from his mother and she did not know it was a kit. He’s too young to assemble it and the mom is not mechanical so she asked me if would mind putting it together for him and setting it up, make sure it works etc etc.. Obviously there where other parts needed to make it run so she and I placed an order with tower for all the necessary parts, chargers etc and I recommended they buy a couple of batteries from cheapbattery. Com. The truck went together well. It was actually a pleasure to put together. They decided on a brushless setup for less maintenance so I installed a 4600 sidewinder system and had everything up and running a couple of days after I had all the parts, I took the truck out for a shake down pass in the park and everything seemed good. I ran it around for about 10 mins without a body and the temps where good and nothing fell off. I brought it back in and went over everything. Tightened a couple of screws etc then headed out to the baseball field for a longer shake down. I drilled a couple of holes in an old Slash body I had laying around and used it for protection. On the second lap around the field the truck barrel rolled and landed on it’s roof. It went over about 3 or 4 times, nothing violent so I didn’t think anything of it. I walked up and noticed the left front arm was broke off the truck and only being held on by the camber link. The rear carrier had also broke where it attaches to the arm.. Needless to say I was just a little surprised and disappointed. Well a long story short I ended up having the truck for 2 weeks while I waited for parts. I also ended up spending close to $30 with shipping to fix this thing. I finally gave the kid a running truck on Friday. I told his mom about the incident told her to let me know if he breaks anything and I’ll help him with the repairs.

During the build I was actually considering getting one of these for myself but after that it’s off the list. Guess I’ll wait on the Losi and just keep beating my Slash’s
Old 07-22-2009, 03:58 PM
ryansiki

I have an SC10 and yes the A-arms are super weak( mine broke but I hit  curb at almost fullspeed.I didn't notice until I hit a small rock doing like 5mph,then it fell apart).The worst experience I had was with an RC18MT. Within a few runs one of the diffs melted( literally there were piece of plastic all over the gear box) I never could figure out what went wrong.I bought the gear cover, MIP diffs, CVDs for the front, thread shocks and some other stuff.Finally I sold for $90(CAD). Much happier with SC10, especially when my BL system, and A-arms come in

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.