Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tb-01

Old 06-22-2003, 06:42 PM
STI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tb-01

hello all ..

i have a tamiya TB-01 ... great car .. i decided to go faster .. so i replaced the motor with Trinty 12 turn motor and LRP ESC ... the problem the car is over heating real bad ...

i made some holes in the body but it didnt help much to reduce the heat .. searching in the threads i got that i do need to change the pinion gear to a smaller one but which one ? the one i am using now is 16t with 61 spur gear .. can you please give me an advice ? also would a Fan help ?

thank you in advance ...
Old 06-22-2003, 07:49 PM
hpiguy

Default Tb-01

I'd leave the pinion alone. It's pretty small already. If you must, drop it down to 15 or 14 tooth.

Otherwise go with a 75 tooth spur and see where that gets you.

You basically put WAY too much motor in that car for the gearing. Fans and ehatsinks can't help when you massivly over gear a motor like you have.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:47 PM
Karl the Mechan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you have...

...the adjustable mesh alloy motor mount, 53403 ?

and do you also have the heat sink 53399 ? (No, not the kit-supplied grey sink.)

BTW, there is no 75 t spur available for the TB in 06 pitch. 61 is the largest one.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:33 AM
hpiguy

Default Tb-01

Ah yes Tamiya gears.

Sorry bout that one. Forgot Tamiya makes it harder to change gearing than other car makers.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:31 PM
STI

Default Tb-01

hello ..

thank you for your replies ... well i found 88t spur gear for the TB-01 do you think it will help ? the stock number at tower hobbies is LXTG09.

another qustion .. i understand a heat sink would help reducing the heat but what about the motor mount ?

thank you ..
Old 06-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Karl the Mechan

Default Whatever do you mean...

"-what about the motor mount "

Do you have the alloy motor mount or not?

And no, the 88t spur will not gear down the car. It will result in a HIGHER gearing, as you'll have to change the pinion to 35t or thereabouts.

One more...
Mr hpiguy. You're right about Tamiya gears in general but not this one. The TB01 is the exeption from the rule, as it will take 06 pitch pinions from 14 through the numbers up to 25. And there's four spur gears to choose from. 52, 55, 58 and 61. All of which can be combined with the vast number of pinions.

All the above gears are 06 pitch.
Then there's the 04 spurs and pinions. Two or three spurs combined with five or seven (cant remember) pinions.

Gears on other Tamiyas? Well, you're right.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:53 PM
STI

Default Tb-01

hello ...

no Karl i dont have the alloy motor mount ...
Old 06-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Karl the Mechan

Default Oh. Looks like...

...you started in the wrong end then. No wonder the thing gets hot. 12 turns in that plastic motor mount... Ouch!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:19 PM
STI

Default Tb-01

hello Karl ...

what do you advice me to do ?
Old 06-25-2003, 08:46 AM
e_lm_70

Default Re: Tb-01

Originally posted by STI

i have a tamiya TB-01 ... great car .. i decided to go faster .. so i replaced the motor with Trinty 12 turn motor and LRP ESC ... the problem the car is over heating real bad ...

Interesting.

I have a Enzo Ferrari TB-01 (got for 100$).
I put in a 11x2 eMotor (a Yokomo got for 20$).
I'm using a 55Tx23T gear (as temporary from F201 speed gear, waiting for a 25T).
I'm using a Sonic Max ESC, no motor limit, rated 50A x 5minutes (got for 50$ but it is not a real no motor limit !)
I'm using a 8 cell pack Sanyo NiMH 3000mAh !

The motor get hot, but not too much hot. (my TB-01 by default has ball bearing & motor headsink)
My ESC get very hot. So after 5-7 minutes normally it decided to go in sleep mode. The ESC headsink is covered by the TB-01 chassis, this doesn't help !
The acceleration & speed is very good !

Going to upgrade to a better ESC.

I don't see any problem related to motor temperature dissipation, even without the allu motor mount.

TB-01 has its performance limitation, but it look damned strong, it is possible to run it even in a full durty street, since it has a good shell protection.

Happy racing

e_lm_70
Old 06-27-2003, 09:15 PM
Karl the Mechan

Default Hi, I'm back from a trip.

"STI" wanted advice. Well, basically one follows the same thumbrules as when tuning the engine on a real car. First upgrade the REAR AXLE. (brakes, bushings, dampers, springs and such) Then the front axle. Then the steering. And so on. As a last point, it's time for more horsepowers. Start in the other end, and you have a pile of turd that wont handle.

Now to small scale cars. TBs in particular.
The original plastic motor mount will not handle more than the kit-supplied "silvercan". Anything more will make it flex, resulting in continously variable gear mesh. Not good.
And "hotter" motors are just that. Hotter. The plastic motor will eventualy melt. Definately not good.

Enter the alloy mount! (53403) It's rigid, has adjustable motor-position, and a feature called heat dissipation. Three wishes in one!

It will transfer heat from the motor to a larger surface, namely itself. This is good.
The peculiar thing with the TB01 motor mount is that it is fully encapseled. (this is not so good) It will therefore accumulate heat, and need a longer cool-down periode between battery changes.

Now to the clip-on heat-sink. There's TWO types. One's grey and comes with the car. The other one's blue and bought separately (53399). They look similar, but the grey one is for a silvercan or Sport-Tuned motor with closed endbell. When you fit an open-endbell modified motor, the grey heatsink may short-circuit the motor terminals. Because it is so long it will overlap the terminals. This will fry your ESC. (not good at all)

The blue heat-sink's shorter, and will clear the terminals. (excellent)

These two gadgets (alloy mount & heat-sink) will of course have to be fitted BEFORE (or simultaniously) any modified motor can be installed. If you want the car to function properly, that is.
If not, drop in a 10 turn (or whatever) and drive the spine out of the car.

Your wallet, your choise :-)
Old 06-29-2003, 08:21 PM
STI

Default Tb-01

hello ...

good pint carl ... thank you for your help ...
Old 07-09-2003, 09:28 AM
e_lm_70

Default Re: Hi, I'm back from a trip.

Originally posted by Karl the Mechan
Anything more will make it flex, resulting in continously variable gear mesh. Not good.
And "hotter" motors are just that. Hotter. The plastic motor will eventualy melt. Definately not good.
I'm running a 8 cell on my TB-01. With a 55T/25T main gear !
With a 11T Yokomo motor (20$ value) I have less heat then with the Tamiya Stock motor !
Anyhow ... the motor mount doesn't melt, and it doesn't look it flex ! It is a strong ABS plastice stuff !

Enter the alloy mount! (53403) It's rigid, has adjustable motor-position, and a feature called heat dissipation. Three wishes in one!

I would like to enter in ... but the 53403 isn't so easy to find ... and the only place where I found it , they want 40$ for it !!!

... the grey heatsink may short-circuit the motor terminals. Because it is so long it will overlap the terminals. This will fry your ESC. (not good at all)

I have only the grey heatsink ... I have used my tester to see the resistance between two generic point of this "metal" heatsink.
The resul is: Resistance = huge : out for scale for my tester : over 20M ohm !

So even if there are contacts with the teminals , no short-circuit at all !

After has adjust a little the front TOE, my TB-01 doesn't handle so bad , compared to some HPI !

e_lm_70