Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

speed-t overheating all the time??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:19 PM
jonnymobil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed-t overheating all the time??

i have the losi speed-t with the excelorin brushless esc and 6400kv motor and i have it geared as low as possible and still it overheats?i am getting a little upset.the esc states it can handle 100amp continuous current but it will overheat on packs that are not rated to put out 100a and my tenergy2 meter states i am only pulling 61 amps?i have it geared at 14/88 witch is as low as i casn go and it still overheats in 3 minutes or less on a 3 cell,ill get 5 or 6 minutes before it overheats on a 2 cell.what gives?should i use the foreward only mode?i know that makes it faster but does that mean it is passing more current or has the capability to pass more current?

to put it straight i feel a little ripped off,i am usually very happy with losi products as i am a hige losi fan but this one let me down a bit.

has anyone else had this problem?is there a speed controll i can get that isnt a baby esc?i want a real esc that can handle some heat.i want to take my truck to the speed championships.with the 6400motor on high gearing i have clocket it at 101 miles an hour on a nice 35c 3 cell with full width internal connectors and highe 10 guage wires.it is a nice powerfull pack but at that gear ratio i only got one run before it gave out on me.i want a speed controll that can do it all day.i never had this problem with my sidewinder no matter how i geared it and it didnt even have a fan?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:42 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: speed-t overheating all the time??

6800kv is a lot of motor for a 1/10 off road rc, and on 3s too. I'd get a lower kv motor, like a 4300 or at least a 5700
Old 07-04-2009, 08:37 PM
jonnymobil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: speed-t overheating all the time??

well i usually run on only 2s and thats the motor that came with the kit so if it is too much i feel a bit got over on ya know.the excelorin kit comes with a choice of 3 motors and i got the one in the middle,and the speed-t is an on road truck,never took it off road.i just went out and only got maybe 5 or 6 passes till it thermaled on me,now i am thinking i must have wore out the esc,is that possible?all i know is i never had any problems with my sidewinder.i will be getting another one of those asap and ditching this weak excelorin system.i just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem.it just sucks when you buy something that is recommended the manufacturer and you use it as required and it messes up.its like why do they even sell this then,i cant imagine if i bought the higher motor,7500kv.i am at my witts end with this thing.this esc is rated at 100a continuous and my 35a speed passion runs for longer without overheating.

i feel as though i got took badly by losi this time.i have always been extremely happy with all of my losi purchases but this one let me down big time,$180 bucks and i can even use it.