Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

new lipo went BOOM!*pics*

Old 07-17-2009, 03:36 AM
crushgear64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new lipo went BOOM!*pics*

i got 2 turnigy 5000mah 2s lipos today from hobbycity. after charging em up i put one in my vxl bandit. i drove gentle and slow for 5 minutes than stopped and went to take teh batt out. as i was reaching in to pull the batt out the lipo went boom!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:43 AM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: new lipo went BOOM!*pics*

your bandit make it out of the ordeal?
Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 AM
sheograth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you serious?
Old 07-17-2009, 04:59 AM
d.k.v

holy heck... is your hand ok? better question hows the car lol
Old 07-17-2009, 05:32 AM
TIGER76

[X(][]Damn hope your ok and the car thats the reason i still used nimhs no matter how many times people say lipos are safer now that little voice in my head says dont end up blowing up the pede lol
Old 07-17-2009, 06:05 AM
crushgear64

yea im all ok apart from one big sore blister! the car is fine only damage is a melted antenna tube, a melted part on a-arm and some of the wires are slightly melted. oh and yes im very serious!

Old 07-17-2009, 06:27 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I was actually going to get a few of those batteries, I am glad I saw this, now I may reconsider the purchase and just go with some NiMh.
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 AM
d.k.v

im staying with nimhs 4 life
Old 07-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Willystylz

i knew those batteries were cheap for a reason![:-]
Old 07-17-2009, 08:22 AM
860Crawler

Lipos... Still not worth the hassle.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:50 AM
04DarkShadowGT

Just so some of you guys know, nimh can explode too and its quite catastrophic when they do.

My question is how long were you running the battery? I know the VXL low voltage cutoffs are notoriously horrible, I am wondering if you over discharged it and caused your issues. I have probably 10 zippy and turnigy lipos that have worked flawlessly for nearly a year. I have puffed up one of the protek packs I bought from amain and it was because I pushed it too hard for too long. It smoked up pretty good but didnt blow up.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

Just so some of you guys know, nimh can explode too and its quite catastrophic when they do.

My question is how long were you running the battery? I know the VXL low voltage cutoffs are notoriously horrible, I am wondering if you over discharged it and caused your issues. I have probably 10 zippy and turnigy lipos that have worked flawlessly for nearly a year. I have puffed up one of the protek packs I bought from amain and it was because I pushed it too hard for too long. It smoked up pretty good but didnt blow up.
He said that he was only runing it for aabout 5 minutes and not pushing it too hard in the first post.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 AM
GravityJunkie

Oh man. I'm sure glad my Turnigy packs don't look like that...
Old 07-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Druss

Ya, I was looking at these packs to put in my brushless erevo and savage flux (the 3S ones), I might have to reconsider but... no one makes a perfect product everytime.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Wild YFZ 450

Somethings wrong here, Batterys just don't go "boom" for no reason. I have a feeling you where running more than 5 minutes, didn't have low voltage cutoff enabled and drained it to long. Was that the 15c version?[&:]
EDIT: Also why would you just drive around slow and than just think to take the battery out after 5 minutes?
Old 07-17-2009, 10:55 AM
FoamyVictim

Did you charge it before you used it? Over drawing a Lipo can kill it, just like that. I have SEVERAL lipos from Hobbycity, all work great and NONE of them grenaded. It's because I'm mindful of what leads to a failure. They need to be treated properly, and with a simple balance charger, and lpo safe ESC in your rig, you should never see this happen unless you make a boo boo. Running them all the way down, shorting them out, etc... can lead to that pic. They don't just spontaneously combust like some people would lead you to believe. Besides, how many of you have seen how a Nimh pops? Sounds like a shotgun, and is JUST AS DANGEROUS when it does.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Wild YFZ 450

EDIT: Also why would you just drive around slow and than just think to take the battery out after 5 minutes?
I routinely do this with new batteries. Run for a few minutes, stop, check the temperature, check the voltage, run again and repeat. Give you an idea whether the pack is working properly, and what kind of actual capacity it's delivering. I have had a new pack puff up in a plane being used WELL within its limits and it was an expensive name brand pack to boot. Don't get complacent, it CAN and DOES happen occasionally. When I started using lipos several years ago, there was no such thing as LVC, so I've learned to not rely on it, FWIW.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:08 AM
NY DIRT

Naww.....Lipos are foolish and dangerous.....So what if you have to change them more often and charge them more....i have never seen a Nimh go boom....They are unsafe IMOP...!! I'm glad you are ok...!!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: crushgear64

i got 2 turnigy 5000mah 2s lipos today from hobbycity. after charging em up i put one in my vxl bandit. i drove gentle and slow for 5 minutes than stopped and went to take teh batt out. as i was reaching in to pull the batt out the lipo went boom!

Is this the battery you were using? http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._20C_Lipo_Pack

If it is no wonder it went "BOOM", you get what you pay for. Either you didn't charge it properly or balance it or maybe it had a bad cell or a poor soldering job or maybe it suffered so damage in a crash. I don't run anything but the hardcase lipos in my ground RC's. I wouldn't buy any of those packs or the Zippy packs based on what I have read on this forum and other forums.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: crushgear64

Is this the battery you were using? http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._20C_Lipo_Pack

If it is no wonder it went ''BOOM'', you get what you pay for. Either you didn't charge it properly or balance it or maybe it had a bad cell or a poor soldering job or maybe it suffered so damage in a crash. I don't run anything but the hardcase lipos in my ground RC's. I wouldn't buy any of those packs or the Zippy packs based on what I have read on this forum and other forums.
Then you will continue to get ripped off. If the 50 or so online examples of Nimhs exploding determined the outcome of the hobby, we'd all still be using nicads! There's nothing wrong with getting a Great Deal on a soft cased lipo. You don't need to spend hundreds of $$ to get a good one and you don't need a hard case either. As I said; I as well as many other locals, all have the Zippy packs, and they've been every bit as good as the more expensive brands. I have a $250 Losi 4S pack, that doesn't perform as well as my $60 Zippy 4S pack. If ONLY I knew about Zippy before I WASTED my $190 on a name brand. [:'(]
Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Access

Many people have had fine experience with the zippy packs. But sure he might have gotten a dud.

My understanding is that you can make LiPos with cheap cast molds and lax conditions and 99.9% of the time the cells still work fine. But every once in a while you will get a dud cell that will do just what you described. One of the plates has a little whisker or some defect sticking off one of the plates and the cell has a small chance of blowing during charge or discharge. No way to know beforehand, other than using the battery. A lot of the time the battery may have a defect and it may not even fail in its expected lifetime, in the end it's just a numbers game. When you hear of these different battery recalls most of the time that is what it is, just a numbers game. 99.9% of the batteries out there are safe, but sony or whoever has to recall b'cos of that 1 in 1000 that might explode and result in a lawsuit or somesuch.

Quality LiPo manufacturing is done under very carefully controlled conditions and with metal molds that cost tens of orders of magnitude more than the cheap molds the low-cost manufactuers use.

Either way the 'net does tend to lead to sensationalism b'cos you never hear about the thousands upon thousands of safe LiPo runs people do with no problem whatsoever. I look at the cheap LiPos like that, if you need to save money most people get fine results from them and there's no reason to believe you'd be any different. If you are slightly paranoid and money is no object, get a quality brand like thunderpower or such. Just whatever you do, stay away from the dreaded / infamous maxamps...
Old 07-17-2009, 11:35 AM
t9dragon

All I said is you get what you pay for? $20 for a 2s 5000mah lipo sounds like a great deal but you have to take in to account what cells they used, how well did the solder it, what solder did they use, etc.., etc.. No matter how good the deal is I still wouldn't pay $20 for that lipo. I will stick with the ones I use which are Losi, Trakpower, Thunderpower and yes I might pay a little more for them but that is fine with me.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 AM
FoamyVictim

It's cool, you help keep the economy going. I'm selfish, and want to buy more stuff for less money. As I said, my packs have proven every bit as reliable as the more expensive stuff. The lack of detail in his post is what concerns me. No indication of what he used to charge it before running it. Look at the connector, it looks poorly done to me. I bet he made a boo boo in the soldering process and shorted it out. So if you're scared, then by all means, spend the extra $$. The EXACT SAME THING can happen if you mistreat the more expensive packs... you'll just lose more $$ in the process.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:00 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

It's cool, you help keep the economy going. I'm selfish, and want to buy more stuff for less money. As I said, my packs have proven every bit as reliable as the more expensive stuff. The lack of detail in his post is what concerns me. No indication of what he used to charge it before running it. Look at the connector, it looks poorly done to me. I bet he made a boo boo in the soldering process and shorted it out. So if you're scared, then by all means, spend the extra $$. The EXACT SAME THING can happen if you mistreat the more expensive packs... you'll just lose more $$ in the process.
Where do I come off sounding scared? I have been running lipos for almost 6 years now and have never had a pack go bad. Althought I have had several NIMH packs go bad, even had a NIMH pack exploded in my E-Maxx. But like you have said it more then likely was user error from looking at the pics he posted.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim
It's cool, you help keep the economy going. I'm selfish, and want to buy more stuff for less money. As I said, my packs have proven every bit as reliable as the more expensive stuff.
Foamy the thing is you would not be able to recognize the difference. The common person is not going to be able to due to limited sample size. Let's say a bad pack has 0.01% chance of failure per run and a good pack has a 0.0001% of failure per run. We can say the bad pack has 100 times the chance of failing than the good pack. But the chances of either pack failing are so low that it's not really measurable for the typical RC'er with the typical usage cycle. You are (hopefully) getting something if you buy the more expensively manufactured pack, assuming you are not just paying for a repackaged zippy with a different label on it or something like that. For instance thunderpower has doing LiPos practically forever so we'd think they know what the best sources are and all that. In this way, the 'bad' pack in the example above still makes sense for the common user, the chance of a failure is so low either way that it's not really too significant for the common user.

I think we're all pretty much in the same boat with LiPo vs. NIMH. I have an equal number of both and I run them about the same. I have never had a LiPo fail during a run in my 5 or so years in the hobby. I have had 3 NIMH failures during a run and one was quite spectacular. I would argue that LiPos are safer if nothing else b'cos of the way they are rated. With a LiPo the line between safe and unsafe usage is pretty clear. Cells are well labelled and we know how many amps the battery can safely provide without burning up. With NIMH there is no clear 'C' rating and it becomes more of a guessing game or trial and error with frequent temperature checks. And with NIMH in a modern performance RC you are typically running the battery at or above it's limit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.