Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Novak Havoc 3S with Ballistic 8.5 Motor or.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Wild YFZ 450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Novak Havoc 3S with Ballistic 8.5 Motor or.....

ORIGINAL: brushlessboy16

A different material WILL improve efficiency....
Where do you see that Novak is using a more efficient material? All they are saying is that it can with stand higher temps...
ORIGINAL: NovakTwo
different mag material to withstand higher motor temps.
Really where do you see that it says it makes it more efficient?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:58 AM
brushlessboy16

if the material is more resilient to heat, that means that less energy is wasted heating up the rotor, and the rotor is harder to demagnatize by heat. therefore more power spend into spinning the motor and more power to the wheels..

Next question.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Wild YFZ 450

if the material is more resilient to heat, that means that less energy is wasted heating up the rotor, and the rotor is harder to demagnatize by heat. therefore more power spend into spinning the motor and more power to the wheels..

Next question.
Never said it wasted less energy heating up the rotor, All that was said was the it can withstand a higher temp...
Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 PM
brushlessboy16

ORIGINAL: Wild YFZ 450

Where do you see that Novak is using a more efficient material? All they are saying is that it can with stand higher temps...

really?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 PM
NovakTwo

Pay attention, most guys who race seriously use fans for additional cooling-whether they "need" it or not. That's just how it is. We include it with the systems for those who want to use it. LRP only includes HS/fans with their TC controllers-any other ones you have to buy the "cooling system" separately. This is why it is difficult to compare prices among different systems.

Rotor diameter design, "air gap" measurements are criteria in motor design that have nothing to do with a fixed rotor diameter number, as you seem to be asserting.

A word about programmability: Many guys who want the most expensive, programmable, whiz-bang controller often never figure out how to program it properly, aren't willing to fiddle endlessly to get it "just right"nor can they easily change the settings once programmed. I read many forum threads for escs with computer programming and they are not pretty. Many users can't even figure out how to sucessfully download the updated software, let alone figure out what parameters to select.

I think Traxxas has it right-offer an BL esc with 2 choices. Really cuts down on the confusion and phone calls.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Wild YFZ 450

really?
No.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Wild YFZ 450

Pay attention, most guys who race seriously use fans for additional cooling-whether they ''need'' it or not. That's just how it is. We include it with the systems for those who want to use it. LRP only includes HS/fans with their TC controllers-any other ones you have to buy the ''cooling system'' separately. This is why it is difficult to compare prices among different systems.

Rotor diameter design, ''air gap'' measurements are criteria in motor design that have nothing to do with a fixed rotor diameter number, as you seem to be asserting.

A word about programmability: Many guys who want the most expensive, programmable, whiz-bang controller often never figure out how to program it properly, aren't willing to fiddle endlessly to get it ''just right''nor can they easily change the settings once programmed. I read many forum threads for escs with computer programming and they are not pretty. Many users can't even figure out how to sucessfully download the updated software, let alone figure out what parameters to select.

I think Traxxas has it right-offer an BL esc with 2 choices. Really cuts down on the confusion and phone calls.
People may call your company with phone calls because you have to program Via transmitter, Which IMO is a PIA. I have not seen one thread where computer programming was a problem. If you can't figure out how to download a program by just clicking the "Download" Link I don't think you should be in the hobby, Updating the software is easy. When you first open the program it usually asks you if you want to update it. The parameters are as easy as a drop down menu. ALOT easier then trying to listen to beeps and seeing lights..
Old 07-18-2009, 12:21 PM
NovakTwo

This is Novak’s HV Sintered Tuning Rotor with 5mm Shaft – 14mm (#5951). The 14mm rotor’s larger diameter and improved magnetic material provide a higher temperature threshold, enhancing its durability. Its higher magnetic field also increases the motor’s natural drag braking and improves its acceleration response.
The magnetic material "recipe" used in our tuning rotors withstands much higher heat than the standard rotors. We select this particular (more expensive) material to fabricate these rotors. All sintered magnets are not the same. The rotor properties are very dependent on the underlying selection of the rare earth metals' mixture used in the recipe.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pay attention, most guys who race seriously use fans for additional cooling-whether they ''need'' it or not. That's just how it is. We include it with the systems for those who want to use it. LRP only includes HS/fans with their TC controllers-any other ones you have to buy the ''cooling system'' separately. This is why it is difficult to compare prices among different systems.
Pay attention? Talk about rude... just like Novak's customer service.

They need the cooling because your ESC's run hot. If they had an efficient system that didn't need a fan to run cool, they would have more runtime before the battery dumped and could give them the extra runtime to win the race. You said low speed throttle control can help you win a race, I assume because of a good launch and no cogging, assuming you meant that no cogging would give you maybe 1/10th of a second more. Well having an efficient system that didn't need a fan because it didn't waste battery power on making heat like Novak systems, one could gain 1/10th of a second and win the race. I really can't wait to see the Castle Mamba Max Pro destroy the Novak systems in big races, but Novak will probably talk ROAR into making separate classes for people with Novak systems and people with Castle systems because they are afraid of the truth coming out about how crappy Novak systems actually are.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:32 PM
NovakTwo

You do not need to use a transmitter when programming our controllers. When racing, transmitters are often held in compound, therefore on board programming requiring a tx is a no-no. CC's on board programming requires the use of the tx.

Programming with a computer-first, requires a computer at the track-is not easy for everyone. Part of my responsibility is keeping track of other companies' CS issues and I can say, for a fact, that computer programming can be a CS nightmare. Customers often do not read (or understand) instructions. So they call CS to be "walked thru" the entire procedure individually and at great length.

Rotor diameter design, ''air gap'' measurements are criteria in motor design that have nothing to do with a fixed rotor diameter number, as you seem to be asserting.

A word about programmability: Many guys who want the most expensive, programmable, whiz-bang controller often never figure out how to program it properly, aren't willing to fiddle endlessly to get it ''just right''nor can they easily change the settings once programmed. I read many forum threads for escs with computer programming and they are not pretty. Many users can't even figure out how to sucessfully download the updated software, let alone figure out what parameters to select.

People may call your company with phone calls because you have to program Via transmitter, Which IMO is a PIA. I have not seen one thread where computer programming was a problem. If you can't figure out how to download a program by just clicking the ''Download'' Link I don't think you should be in the hobby, Updating the software is easy. When you first open the program it usually asks you if you want to update it. The parameters are as easy as a drop down menu. ALOT easier then trying to listen to beeps and seeing lights..
Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 PM
NovakTwo

I always enjoy reading the venomous anti ROAR/Novak conspiracy theories. Why would we want any more rules? That's just nutty.

Here's the thingROAR has never required speed control approval and it is unlikely, they ever will. Besides, any rules made by a racing organization limits what Novak can design as much the rule limits anyone else.

You keep talking about fans and you keep missing my point. So, I'm just going to drop it.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Wild YFZ 450

You do not need to use a transmitter when programming our controllers. When racing, transmitters are often held in compound, therefore on board programming requiring a tx is a no-no. CC's on board programming requires the use of the tx.

Programming with a computer-first, requires a computer at the track-is not easy for everyone. Part of my responsibility is keeping track of other companies' CS issues and I can say, for a fact, that computer programming can be a CS nightmare. Customers often do not read (or understand) instructions. So they call CS to be ''walked thru'' the entire procedure individually and at great length.

People may call your company with phone calls because you have to program Via transmitter, Which IMO is a PIA. I have not seen one thread where computer programming was a problem. If you can't figure out how to download a program by just clicking the ''Download'' Link I don't think you should be in the hobby, Updating the software is easy. When you first open the program it usually asks you if you want to update it. The parameters are as easy as a drop down menu. ALOT easier then trying to listen to beeps and seeing lights..
Why can't you program your controller before hand? Your trying to say CC's programming isn't as good as yours but it offers what you offer and then MORE
Old 07-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Krawlin

Programming with a computer-first, requires a computer at the track-is not easy for everyone. Part of my responsibility is keeping track of other companies' CS issues and I can say, for a fact, that computer programming can be a CS nightmare. Customers often do not read (or understand) instructions. So they call CS to be ''walked thru'' the entire procedure individually and at great length.
Yet Castle's CS is still very helpful. While it make be annoying for CS, they are always very kind and will answer any questions. When my SS4300 system fried, I called Novak and they were extremely rude. When I tried to tell the guy what happened, he would constantly interrupt saying "Just let me finish..." and he wouldn't listen to the issue. And you can program the Castle systems via transmitter too, and most smart racers would visit the track before the race, practice, then program the ESC before the race, before their transmitters would be held in compound.

Conspiracy theories? You mean conspiracy truths..... I never said Novak wanted more rules, I said Novak has ROAR make rules around what Novak wants, Novak has a chokehold on ROAR, its been known for years.

I keep talking about fans and you keep missing my point because you obviously stick up for your brand as you are obviously paid to do this and you are paid to continue to post that Novak is better.

Face the facts, Novak is like Integy, it may look nice but when you actually want it to work it fails miserably.

Like I said before, why is it called common sense when its so uncommon?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 PM
NovakTwo

Why can't you program your controller before hand? Your trying to say CC's programming isn't as good as yours but it offers what you offer and then MORE
You can program our controllers any time you want. I did not say that CC's programming isn't as good, I merely stated that our escs offer extensive on-board programming options (and, without needing your TX in the pits.) That is all I said, and meant. I am sure that CC's computer interface is just fine. Keep in mind, some racers do not like to take their computers to the track. We have had computers stolen at races ourselves, so it is a major inconvenience when away on business.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Willystylz

whoa are you guys going to drone on about this all day? It is Saturday, normally there's better things to do on a Saturday. If I worked for a company that was being bashed I'd stick up for my product as well...
Old 07-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Krawlin

You can program our controllers any time you want. I did not say that CC's programming isn't as good, I merely stated that our escs offer extensive on-board programming options (and, without needing your TX in the pits.) That is all I said, and meant. I am sure that CC's computer interface is just fine. Keep in mind, some racers do not like to take their computers to the track. We have had computers stolen at races ourselves, so it is a major inconvenience when away on business.
CC's computer interface is beyond just fine, it has so many more adjustments than Novak crap. And again, you can program CC ESC's from your transmitter, so you don't have to take a computer to the track, its that simple. And I find it hard to believe that Novak had some of its own computers stolen at a race, if actual company reps. from Novak were at a race, there would almost always be someone keeping an eye on the computers.

Isn't it funny how companies try to lie their way out when people accuse their products of being crappy?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:12 PM
NovakTwo

If it is "common knowledge" that Novak has such a choke hold on ROAR, why did ROAR approve the inclusion of non sensored motors into modified racing? Some choke hold! Conspiracy theories abound. There were, at last count, about 9 motor companies that advise ROAR on BL motor rules. Novak is just one of them. And, we are not in charge of the committee or president of the committee, or chairman...or, king....

You do not need to have your transmitter anywhere near you to program our controllers. And, nowhere have I said that Novak is better. I have been pointing out facts to counter assertions that are untrue.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:15 PM
NovakTwo

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

whoa are you guys going to drone on about this all day? It is Saturday, normally there's better things to do on a Saturday. If I worked for a company that was being bashed I'd stick up for my product as well...
How true, a beautiful day here in Sunny SoCal.

Time to move on to something fun!

No more droning, I promise.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Krawlin

If it is ''common knowledge'' that Novak has such a choke hold on ROAR, why did ROAR approve the inclusion of non sensored motors into modified racing? Some choke hold! Conspiracy theories abound. There were, at last count, about 9 motor companies that advise ROAR on BL motor rules. Novak is just one of them. And, we are not in charge of the committee or president of the committee, or chairman...or, king....

You do not need to have your transmitter anywhere near you to program our controllers. And, nowhere have I said that Novak is better. I have been pointing out facts to counter assertions that are untrue.

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

How true, a beautiful day here in Sunny SoCal.

Time to move on to something fun!

No more droning, I promise.

Wow, Novak uses a new tactic to get customers, sucking up to them on forums!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:24 PM
For_The_Win

If it is ''common knowledge'' that Novak has such a choke hold on ROAR, why did ROAR approve the inclusion of non sensored motors into modified racing? Some choke hold! Conspiracy theories abound. There were, at last count, about 9 motor companies that advise ROAR on BL motor rules. Novak is just one of them. And, we are not in charge of the committee or president of the committee, or chairman...or, king....

Actully yeah you do, I had to program my radio to the esc.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 PM
ryansiki

Lots of arguing here. I would just like to say that I don't care about fancy programming options,and will never run more that a 8 cell Nimh battery, and the servo I'm using is the stock one that came with the sc10 RTR, so I dont think I will overload the BEC, plus I'll probably remove the fan. I was planning on getting a MMP with a LRP vector X-12 6.5T,but it costs a little bit more(doesn't really matter),and would take longer to arrive.I'm doing a big RV trip from Prince George,BC to Lake Tahoe in California( I think). We will be going to some sand dunes and I would love to bring my SC10 brushless ready.I leave on the 7th of August and am concerned that I won't be able to get it on time.

PS: How fast will the Havoc with 8.5T go on 6 cell?
Old 07-18-2009, 03:00 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: ryansiki

Lots of arguing here. I would just like to say that I don't care about fancy programming options,and will never run more that a 8 cell Nimh battery, and the servo I'm using is the stock one that came with the sc10 RTR, so I dont think I will overload the BEC, plus I'll probably remove the fan. I was planning on getting a MMP with a LRP vector X-12 6.5T,but it costs a little bit more(doesn't really matter),and would take longer to arrive.I'm doing a big RV trip from Prince George,BC to Lake Tahoe in California( I think). We will be going to some sand dunes and I would love to bring my SC10 brushless ready.I leave on the 7th of August and am concerned that I won't be able to get it on time.

PS: How fast will the Havoc with 8.5T go on 6 cell?
Well supposedly im doing 40 in my t4 but i think its more around 35-37
Old 07-18-2009, 03:38 PM
ryansiki

That should be enough speed for me. What are some of the problems with this Novak setup?
Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: ryansiki

That should be enough speed for me. What are some of the problems with this Novak setup?
Non sofar, when you get its if your going to run it in the sc10 follow there gearing chart and nothing bad will happen. ANd what eles i did was take a one whole piece of there het shrink and coiled up there on/off switch, and ziip tie the capactior to one of the battery wries on the esc.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:39 PM
ryansiki

Any other good cheap sensored BL system?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.