Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Newbie Help 4wd or 2wd

Old 08-06-2009, 06:39 PM
MonkeyFist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Help 4wd or 2wd

2WD will teach you to drive better then 4WD. If you can master a 2WD buggy then no racing class will be too tough for you. DO NOT try to start out racing in the mod class as it will just lead to frustration and alot of broken parts. Race in stock (27 turn or 17.5 in brushless) or Super Stock(19 turn or 13.5 brushless) classes first. That is where you will gain the skill set to move up and drive in the faster classes. Take the time to really learn how set up changes effect your car. I see alot of folks who slap on the set up of some pro driver and never lean how to tune a chassis for them selves.

As far as choices in the 1/10 2WD arena there is the Losi XXX-CR, the Associated B4, The Kyosho RB5, and the Academy GV2. There may be a few random others out there, but those are the major players. The B4 is the current hot ride for alot of folks. I drive a XXX-CR as I found the B4 to be too twitchy for my taste. I could have spent more time tweaking the B4, but I already had a XXX-CR that felt better to me.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: hobdean

I would rather get a 1/8 for out door off road but, for this winter I want to race indoor and not in the snow or cold. So far I have looked at B-44, Kyosho zx-5. Are there any other good 4wd buggies out there?
Tamiya Durga is in the price range of the ZX5 and the TRF511X and Hot Bodies D4 are in the price range of the B44.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:46 AM
HawkChalk

Also read on some of the forums the LOSI 8ight-E is not that reliable and at $900 I would not even consider it. In 1976 you could buy a full size Honda racing Elsinor 125cc motorcycle for $999. Guess I just dated myself.
yeah hobdean this isn't 1976 if you want an electric Losi 8ight I'd suggest you buy the nitro 8ight rtr and sell the parts you don't need(engine, pipe, starter box, etc.), and convert it to electric. Sell the unneeded parts for atleast a couple hundred and you got a top of the line "reliable" rolling chassis with a top of the line radio with telemetry for around $400. I think that's a pretty good deal... food for thought

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rdware-Package

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Package-2200kV

Old 08-07-2009, 07:06 AM
The Mad Modder

I would rather get a 1/8 for out door off road but, for this winter I want to race indoor and not in the snow or cold. So far I have looked at B-44, Kyosho zx-5. Are there any other good 4wd buggies out there?
Tamiya has some good buggies.
trf511
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=42139
df03ms
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=49496
db01
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58404
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58395
Old 08-07-2009, 10:22 AM
hobdean
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: HawkChalk

Also read on some of the forums the LOSI 8ight-E is not that reliable and at $900 I would not even consider it. In 1976 you could buy a full size Honda racing Elsinor 125cc motorcycle for $999. Guess I just dated myself.
yeah hobdean this isn't 1976 if you want an electric Losi 8ight I'd suggest you buy the nitro 8ight rtr and sell the parts you don't need(engine, pipe, starter box, etc.), and convert it to electric. Sell the unneeded parts for atleast a couple hundred and you got a top of the line ''reliable'' rolling chassis with a top of the line radio with telemetry for around $400. I think that's a pretty good deal... food for thought

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rdware-Package

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Package-2200kV

$400 would be great but, after all the selling I come up with $780 total investment. Sounds like a great idea if I had 780 bucks. What about converting a used 1.0? What is the difference between 2.0 and 1.0? How would you convert a buggy into a truggy?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 AM
hobdean

ORIGINAL: MonkeyFist

2WD will teach you to drive better then 4WD. If you can master a 2WD buggy then no racing class will be too tough for you. DO NOT try to start out racing in the mod class as it will just lead to frustration and alot of broken parts. Race in stock (27 turn or 17.5 in brushless) or Super Stock(19 turn or 13.5 brushless) classes first. That is where you will gain the skill set to move up and drive in the faster classes. Take the time to really learn how set up changes effect your car. I see alot of folks who slap on the set up of some pro driver and never lean how to tune a chassis for them selves.

As far as choices in the 1/10 2WD arena there is the Losi XXX-CR, the Associated B4, The Kyosho RB5, and the Academy GV2. There may be a few random others out there, but those are the major players. The B4 is the current hot ride for alot of folks. I drive a XXX-CR as I found the B4 to be too twitchy for my taste. I could have spent more time tweaking the B4, but I already had a XXX-CR that felt better to me.
If I ran a stock slash for a couple of months would that give me experience to drive in the 2wd 1/10 buggy mod class with a 7.5 motor? Or should I stick to 1/10 stock buggy and a 17.5 motor, since it is my first buggy?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Redvanmafia

2wd to me, is much more fun for what i run, i can do extream donuts, drifts just the overall way the truck drives is more fun, thru the years ive got pretty good at it, Racing is easy to do, but hard to get good at the only diffrence in mod buggy is your going faster so you have to adjust your driving style, also it will be more intence
Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 PM
hobdean

My goal is to get into the mod class or 1/8 nitro buggy. Just dont know if mod is way out of my league and break too many parts and get frustrated. I don't care about coming in last for a while. I already have an esc and 17.5 motor new in the box. I could easily trade it for a 7.5 motor. I came in 2nd in novice slash with 6 racers my last race.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Redvanmafia

Go for it, a 7.5 will be more powerfull but its not extreamly fast
Old 09-06-2009, 11:05 PM
hobdean

Got a Kyosho ultimate RB5 SP, 17.5 team orion, Sphere LRP competition and thunder power 5000 40C. Deans connector to esc and wired esc directly to the motor. Got the new motor at half off and the esc. Took me 12 hours to put it together not including the painting. Painted the body one color and will use stickers. Picture in a couple of days. Drove it outside without the body and is sure is quick. Top end speed was not that fast. Guess I was expecting more. With our short track there is only one long stretch so it really will not matter. I put the largest pinion gear in it that would fit. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:46 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

good choice, i dabbled in 1/10th 4wd for a bit and didnt really like it, too much maintnence and everyone takes the racing very serious in that class which isnt for me. i run in an open motor 2wd truck class right now and love it. ive also tried 2wd nitro and liked it as well. once you get the feel of it it becomes much easier. also see what others at the track are doing as far as setup, if you do it right you wont break loose in the rear too much.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 AM
BigTb17

Got a Kyosho ultimate RB5 SP, 17.5 team orion, Sphere LRP competition and thunder power 5000 40C. Deans connector to esc and wired esc directly to the motor. Got the new motor at half off and the esc. Took me 12 hours to put it together not including the painting. Painted the body one color and will use stickers. Picture in a couple of days. Drove it outside without the body and is sure is quick. Top end speed was not that fast. Guess I was expecting more. With our short track there is only one long stretch so it really will not matter. I put the largest pinion gear in it that would fit. Thanks for your inputs.
A 17.5 turn brushless motor has lots of torque, but the RPM is actually pretty low. People associate huge speeds with brushless motors, but the lower turn motors aren't really that fast (top speed wise). What they have is efficiency, torque, and low maintenance.

Have fun with the buggy!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:55 AM
hobdean

ORIGINAL: BigTb17

A 17.5 turn brushless motor has lots of torque, but the RPM is actually pretty low. People associate huge speeds with brushless motors, but the lower turn motors aren't really that fast (top speed wise). What they have is efficiency, torque, and low maintenance.

Have fun with the buggy!
Will a 7.5 motor have more top end speed than my 17.5? I know the 7.5 will have more torque.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:21 AM
BigTb17

Will a 7.5 motor have more top end speed than my 17.5? I know the 7.5 will have more torque.
A 7.5 will have way more top speed than a 17.5 motor. Brushless motors are rated in KV, which is the RPM that it will attempt to spin per volt applied. The 7.5 will probably be twice or more KV than the 17.5. The torque will be highly dependant on the amperage you are feeding it. A higher KV motor (lower turn) in general will draw more amperage to create the same amount of torque than a higher turn, lower KV motor.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:22 PM
hobdean

Wonder why team orion motors don't advertise their KV rating?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:14 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would advise 4wd without a doubt, 

cus if u got a 4wd u can allways convert to 2wd wen u want by takin out the dogbones,