Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

E-maxx or E-savage

Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM
dbigfoot111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-maxx or E-savage

-hi guys i've been doing some research on e-maxx and it seems like a very nice truck to bash with, but recently i stumble upon some e-savage forum and there has been debates on that forum that e-savage will out perform the e-maxx and its more reliable and go on and on about how good the e-savage is.

well if any of you guys has some experience between these 2 trucks please let me know what you think.

im thinking about getting the e-maxx because it looks more stable =), well let me know what you think
Old 08-16-2009, 07:04 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: E-maxx or E-savage

imo the e savage is a better setup and can be setup to be more stable, i have heard of ppl having issues with the diffs but other than that its much more durable

the lug
Old 08-16-2009, 07:14 PM
IloveMYxt2

E-Savage all the way. I am not a fan of the E/T-Maxx. In my opinion you need to upgrade everything for them to be good bashers. And they cant handle Brushless very well from what I have seen (diff problems).
Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

^^^ uhh, idk were you get your info from, but right on the emaxx box, it says brushless ready and shows a pic of vxl motor on the maxx..
buttt

idk, my friend has a maxx, his only problem so far was shock towers, and shocks.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
dbigfoot111

well its only a back yard and park basher, i wont be doin anythign crazy, also i wont be doin too many upgrades unless parts are broken.

which would be more durable, more stable, over all best bang for the bucks?

can i get more info on both trucks please =)
Old 08-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Access

Keep in mind there are actually two versions of each of these.

Original E-Savage - brushed RTR, generally durable, but weak transmission if you want brushless.
Original E-maxx - brushed RTR (no longer sold in shops) not very durable, weak transmission
New E-maxx - brushed RTR, more durable than original (but still not perfect), solid transmission.
"E-Savage Flux" - expensive brushless RTR, very durable, really solid transmission.

If you're comparing the original E-Savage to the new E-maxx, honestly it's pretty much a toss-up. E-Savage is probably a little more durable, but parts are going to be harder to find. E-maxx is brushless-ready if you decide to do that someday.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:02 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: dbigfoot111

well its only a back yard and park basher, i wont be doin anythign crazy, also i wont be doin too many upgrades unless parts are broken.

which would be more durable, more stable, over all best bang for the bucks?

can i get more info on both trucks please =)
Do a search on both trucks and you will find plenty of info here on the forums about them.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

imo the e savage is a better setup and can be setup to be more stable, i have heard of ppl having issues with the diffs but other than that its much more durable

the lug
Those can be straighted out with a set of shims.
http://204.186.93.64/E-Savage-ShimsKit.htm
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

the lug
Those can be straighted out with a set of shims.
http://204.186.93.64/E-Savage-ShimsKit.htm
I doubt a set of shims would have helped with my diff problems. I broke 2 diffs on the output shafts. Once I loosened up the slipper I didn't have anymore diff or axle problems.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:19 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

I doubt a set of shims would have helped with my diff problems. I broke 2 diffs on the output shafts. Once I loosened up the slipper I didn't have anymore diff or axle problems.
No, why would it? They help keep the diff gears from stripping.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:38 PM
t9dragon

I wasn't stripping the diff gears. I was breaking the outputs where the axles connect to the diffs.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
mousecritter

You have to realize that not too many people have used both. Of course, whoever owns that particular truck will vouch for their truck. I don't have an Emaxx, but I do own an E-Savage and I'd be glad to tell you my experiences with it.

The E-savage has plenty of speed. I've jumped it 4ft in the air only to land straight on its nose on concrete and nothing broke. I've accidentally drove into plenty of things (parked cars, trees, and even broke a water pipe w/ the Esav). And I'm still using the same parts from when it was new.

As for the diffs, that problems is over-hyped. It may have been an issue when the Esav first came out, but the newer stock has hardened gears. I haven't had any diff issues. The only problem I've had is a clicking noise. I opened everything up and nothing was broken or chipped. I'm pretty sure it's the pinion gear and ring gear, which can easily be solved with shimming the ring gear. I haven't got around to shimming yet. It's not a big deal to me because my Esav performs the same as when it was new. It only clicks at low speed.

I was also stuck between the Esav and Emaxx. Price is definitely one of the things that won me over. I paid $225 shipped for mine (Tower + $50 off coupon).
Old 08-17-2009, 06:15 PM
samguan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Toronto, E-Maxx parts are like everywhere. E-Savage, not many parts available. Correct me if I'm wrong, E-Savage = outdated/old. While most of the hobby shops cary E-Maxx in stock.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:19 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

e maxx is based of the same chassie as the T maxx which came out int 99 they just newly beefed up a few little things...

the lug
Old 08-17-2009, 06:27 PM
samguan

e maxx is based of the same chassie as the T maxx which came out int 99 they just newly beefed up a few little things...

the lug
but the thing is that hobby shops still sell them. I don't think you can find an E-Savage in any of the hobby shops here in Toronto.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:27 PM
mousecritter

ORIGINAL: samguan

Here in Toronto, E-Maxx parts are like everywhere. E-Savage, not many parts available. Correct me if I'm wrong, E-Savage = outdated/old. While most of the hobby shops cary E-Maxx in stock.
Everywhere has Traxxas parts... even Pepboys.

Besides, the Esav tends to not break parts. Even if I need parts, Ebay has Esav parts at low prices.

The Esav/E-zilla came out in late 2005/early 2006. It's not the newest, but not as old as the Emaxx 9 year-old-design.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 PM
samguan

ORIGINAL: mousecritter

Besides, the Esav tends to not break parts. Even if I need parts, Ebay has Esav parts at low prices.

The Esav/E-zilla came out in late 2005/early 2006. It's not the newest, but not as old as the Emaxx 9 year-old-design.
Maybe I should use the word discontinued?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:32 PM
mousecritter

the lug
but the thing is that hobby shops still sell them. I don't think you can find an E-Savage in any of the hobby shops here in Toronto.
What are you suggesting?

Have you ever considered that Traxxas probably spends millions of dollars just for advertising?

Everyone knows McDonald's, but it doesn't mean they have the greatest burgers.

EDIT: discontinued? The Esav is still listed at HPIracing.com on their main page. Not to mention that plenty of e-tailers still sell them.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM
samguan

the lug
What are you suggesting?

Have you ever considered that Traxxas probably spends millions of dollars just for advertising?

Everyone knows McDonald's, but it doesn't mean they have the greatest burgers.

EDIT: discontinued? The Esav is still listed at HPIracing.com on their main page. Not to mention that plenty of e-tailers still sell them.
Maybe I use the wrong word again. Maybe, just not as popular as the E-Maxx. I don't know too much about these two trucks. But from my point of view, I would get the E-Maxx because of the parts support. You people down in the states can get parts delivered to your door fairly quick. Most of the time, we have to wait over a week and waiting is not fun at all.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Access

The new E-maxx is also a newer design, big improvements over the old one.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 PM
dbigfoot111

You have to realize that not too many people have used both. Of course, whoever owns that particular truck will vouch for their truck. I don't have an Emaxx, but I do own an E-Savage and I'd be glad to tell you my experiences with it.

The E-savage has plenty of speed. I've jumped it 4ft in the air only to land straight on its nose on concrete and nothing broke. I've accidentally drove into plenty of things (parked cars, trees, and even broke a water pipe w/ the Esav). And I'm still using the same parts from when it was new.

As for the diffs, that problems is over-hyped. It may have been an issue when the Esav first came out, but the newer stock has hardened gears. I haven't had any diff issues. The only problem I've had is a clicking noise. I opened everything up and nothing was broken or chipped. I'm pretty sure it's the pinion gear and ring gear, which can easily be solved with shimming the ring gear. I haven't got around to shimming yet. It's not a big deal to me because my Esav performs the same as when it was new. It only clicks at low speed.

I was also stuck between the Esav and Emaxx. Price is definitely one of the things that won me over. I paid $225 shipped for mine (Tower + $50 off coupon).
how often does hobby tower give out coupons like this?

BTW i was comparing with e-maxx 3950 and the e-savage, e-savage flux is way too much for my pocket.
yes i've been reading on many threads about e-savage, people who owns it said the e-savage will be faster out of the box than e-maxx.
as if now im leaning more to the e-savage,

what do you guys means by bad transmission? does it break easy or something?

thank you for the helpful feeds
Old 08-17-2009, 11:40 PM
mousecritter

ORIGINAL: dbigfoot111

how often does hobby tower give out coupons like this?

BTW i was comparing with e-maxx 3950 and the e-savage, e-savage flux is way too much for my pocket.
yes i've been reading on many threads about e-savage, people who owns it said the e-savage will be faster out of the box than e-maxx.
as if now im leaning more to the e-savage,

what do you guys means by bad transmission? does it break easy or something?

thank you for the helpful feeds

You have to be a Tower Super Saver Member to use their larger discount coupons. It's a one-time $10 fee, which will give you free shipping for all orders over $150. If you don't have the membership, you'll have to pay $10 for shipping, so you might as well sign up for their membership because it's going to cost you $10, regardless. Tower emails those coupons monthly, so there's always some form of discount active.

If you don't want to sign up for the membership, you still get $20 off or something like that.

As for the bad transmission thing, they're referring to the diffs. I mentioned them in my earlier post.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 PM
t9dragon

Here is a pic of the E-Savage next to the New E-Maxx

E-Maxx on the left - E-Savage on the right

Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 AM
bhcvc

Well, I have an E-Savage and my friend has 2 "old" E-Maxxs and had 1 "new" E-Maxx. He sold the new one to his friend. He kept the "old" ones because they were stronger since they had most parts replaced with aluminum and he already has spares for the old ones.

Between the 3 (E-Savage, old E-Maxx, new E-Maxx), the E-Savage seems to be the toughest stock. I've landed 6ft jumps straight onto concrete on the nose, the tail, and up-side-down with no breakages. My friend broke the bulkheads, shocks towers, and/or arms on all of his Maxxes. He replaced those parts with aluminum pieces on his old Maxxes, but didn't bother replacing them on his new Maxx since his friend wanted to buy it anyways. His breakages were from bad landings and hitting hard objects, but I hit those same objects and had worse landings than him with no problems. So that's the durability department.

Speed-wise, the E-Savage a bit faster stock, but that's because both the old and new E-Maxxes are bigger than the E-Savage. If you want size and don't mind getting aluminum parts (which end up costing more), the E-Maxx might fit the bill.

The E-Savage diff issues are overblown. Shimmed properly (don't use Kershaw shims, just buy your own of the right sizes and you'll have spares), the diffs work just fine. And if you want stronger diffs, get GCM's diffs...really tough! The weakest part of the E-Savage are the drive axles which can snap when you land while at full or near-full throttle. They will almost guaranteed snap if you're running brushless (just the rears, fronts are usually fine). Get a set of Traxxas 4951x axles and you'll be fine.

Both trucks will handle brushless fine. My E-Savage is brushless and it's DAMN fast! Really fun.

Regarding stability, the wider track of the E-Maxx makes it more stable. However, there are modifications for the E-Savage to help with that too. GCM makes some wider arms which are great. GCM also offers longer TVPs (along with other brands like FLM) which help address the size issue.

Traxxas parts are everywhere, but I don't have a problem getting HPI parts. I usually order online, but my LHSs can order for me too. I don't mind not having parts for a few days. I have other trucks to play with in the mean time.

In the end, I prefer my E-Savage. It's, IMO and experience, a tougher, better built and designed truck. The size and handling can be addressed by the aftermarket. On the same hand, the durability issues with the E-Maxxes can be addressed by the aftermarket also. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend. Considering the E-Savage costs $100+ less than the E-Maxx, that difference can go toward a more stable, larger, and more durable E-Savage for the same price as an E-Maxx.

Oh, the E-Maxx (new) has a waterproof/resistant ESC. Don't know if that matters much to you. If you go brushless, you can't run through water anyways.

Final thing, the Johnson 550 motors on the E-Savage are more durable and last longer than the Titan 550s on the E-Maxx.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:03 AM
dbigfoot111

ORIGINAL: bhcvc

Well, I have an E-Savage and my friend has 2 ''old'' E-Maxxs and had 1 ''new'' E-Maxx. He sold the new one to his friend. He kept the ''old'' ones because they were stronger since they had most parts replaced with aluminum and he already has spares for the old ones.

Between the 3 (E-Savage, old E-Maxx, new E-Maxx), the E-Savage seems to be the toughest stock. I've landed 6ft jumps straight onto concrete on the nose, the tail, and up-side-down with no breakages. My friend broke the bulkheads, shocks towers, and/or arms on all of his Maxxes. He replaced those parts with aluminum pieces on his old Maxxes, but didn't bother replacing them on his new Maxx since his friend wanted to buy it anyways. His breakages were from bad landings and hitting hard objects, but I hit those same objects and had worse landings than him with no problems. So that's the durability department.

Speed-wise, the E-Savage a bit faster stock, but that's because both the old and new E-Maxxes are bigger than the E-Savage. If you want size and don't mind getting aluminum parts (which end up costing more), the E-Maxx might fit the bill.

The E-Savage diff issues are overblown. Shimmed properly (don't use Kershaw shims, just buy your own of the right sizes and you'll have spares), the diffs work just fine. And if you want stronger diffs, get GCM's diffs...really tough! The weakest part of the E-Savage are the drive axles which can snap when you land while at full or near-full throttle. They will almost guaranteed snap if you're running brushless (just the rears, fronts are usually fine). Get a set of Traxxas 4951x axles and you'll be fine.

Both trucks will handle brushless fine. My E-Savage is brushless and it's DAMN fast! Really fun.

Regarding stability, the wider track of the E-Maxx makes it more stable. However, there are modifications for the E-Savage to help with that too. GCM makes some wider arms which are great. GCM also offers longer TVPs (along with other brands like FLM) which help address the size issue.

Traxxas parts are everywhere, but I don't have a problem getting HPI parts. I usually order online, but my LHSs can order for me too. I don't mind not having parts for a few days. I have other trucks to play with in the mean time.

In the end, I prefer my E-Savage. It's, IMO and experience, a tougher, better built and designed truck. The size and handling can be addressed by the aftermarket. On the same hand, the durability issues with the E-Maxxes can be addressed by the aftermarket also. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend. Considering the E-Savage costs $100+ less than the E-Maxx, that difference can go toward a more stable, larger, and more durable E-Savage for the same price as an E-Maxx.

Oh, the E-Maxx (new) has a waterproof/resistant ESC. Don't know if that matters much to you. If you go brushless, you can't run through water anyways.

Final thing, the Johnson 550 motors on the E-Savage are more durable and last longer than the Titan 550s on the E-Maxx.
few things i really like the emaxx is that is bigger wider and water proof, this will be my first truck, as if modify it, i dont think i will be doin much modification unless its broken.
so is it safe to run the e-sav in rain/snow?
also i live in texas and i really like for the truck to play in the snow and in the rain would the e-savage be fine?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.