Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Short Course Electric Trucks mostly being offered in RTR Form Only!

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Short Course Electric Trucks mostly being offered in RTR Form Only!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:52 PM
traxxas4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Short Course Electric Trucks mostly being offered in RTR Form Only!

yes you will want to upgrade to a better radio however some people dont have the money. especially when the radio costs more than their entire rtr car. i cant even see spending that kind of money on a remote. anything over 250 is too much. and some people dont even have that to spend. the rtr are a cheap way to get into the hobby. if i had to build my first rc i wouldnt have even considered entering the hobby. i wouldnt trust myself with putting one together from scratch. now i would buy a kit as esily as i would by an rtr. but for beginners that know nothing rtr is the way to go.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: traxxas4ever

yes you will want to upgrade to a better radio however some people dont have the money. especially when the radio costs more than their entire rtr car. i cant even see spending that kind of money on a remote. anything over 250 is too much. and some people dont even have that to spend. the rtr are a cheap way to get into the hobby. if i had to build my first rc i wouldnt have even considered entering the hobby. i wouldnt trust myself with putting one together from scratch. now i would buy a kit as esily as i would by an rtr. but for beginners that know nothing rtr is the way to go.
Once you get past the Wow, how can I build that thing? factor, the car pretty much puts itself together. Kit manuals are very easy to follow and virtually anyone could build a kit, new or not.

I got a Spektrum DX3S for $180 shipped on the RCU f/s ads. NIB, included the receiver, telemetry, and everything needed. Plus it is based off the DX3R so it is still a nice sport level radio.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: 860Crawler

I love those short course trucks too, but I want to build one as well.

That is all.
Then buy an SC10 kit, ya know they sell them...

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Traxxas4fun

i like rtrs.. less money. and get to play with it out of the box.. and im still on my FIRST traxxas radio.. there not cheap JUNK as you call it.
Umm yes the Traxxas raido is JUNK. Compare it to a Futaba 4PK, M11x, or a Spektrum DX3R and you will immediatly want to upgrade.

Also about the idea that newbie's are scared because they need to buy everything extra. Simple thing-include everything needed for it to be RTR but have the car unassembled. Then the RTR crowd wont keep b!t(hing about they have to buy everything extra.
That is absurd to compare a stock radio to one that cost more than the vast majority of the RTR cars on the market. Of course its not going to be as good, but its still not a junk radio. The TQ imo is very comfortable, has plenty or range for nearly ever place I have tried to use one. I went with a DX3s simply because I wanted the 10 model memory and not to have to worry about channels. Of course its great to have the extra features but for 90% of people in this hobby a stock AM radio is more than adequate.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:24 PM
traxxas4ever

wow chris thats a good deal. i bought my 3pm for that price with an hrs reciever. i think im going to start looking for one of those radios.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 PM
tomst-maxx
My Feedback: (8)

I am still fairly new to this hobby and have bought rtr and kits. Both have there pro's and con's. Its nice to get a rtr as a newby as your up and running asap and you can always upgrade as your driving skill improves. building kits is nice as you dont waste money on parts your taking off a rtr to replace with ones you want. yes I agree you learn alot more about your car by building it from a kit, but in todays economy its nice to know that I can buy a rtr and show up on race day and be able to run. Not waiting 2-3 months to finnaly get all the funds and parts i need to get my truck running. I never use to race I was only a backyard basher, but now that I can buy lets say a slash rtr for $200 I now race in the stock class. they also run a open modified class for the guys that want more power and speed, I know i dont have the budget to be in the open class yet but part by part i can still race in the stock class and order parts for the modified class. thats just my 2 cents on this topic
Old 08-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Access

Once you get past the Wow, how can I build that thing? factor, the car pretty much puts itself together. Kit manuals are very easy to follow and virtually anyone could build a kit, new or not.
Actually I would bet you if you randomly walked up to someone on the street and ask them how to perform any given step, half or more would fail. If you are talking about the US something like 40% of the people in the nation today cannot read english at an eigth grade level. I've met people in LHS who had to ask for help b'cos they couldn't figure out how to remove a body clip. Honestly I've seen it all when it comes to mechanical ineptitude, people who for instance could not change a tire to save their own life. They're out there, and they're not the exception anymore, they're the norm. They're everywhere and today's products have to appeal to that lowest common denominator in order to suceed in today's marketplace.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:44 PM
FoamyVictim

They're out there, and they're not the exception anymore, they're the norm.
Oh jeez, now I know why I have to drive my real car so defensively! [:@]
Old 08-25-2009, 07:06 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim
Oh jeez, now I know why I have to drive my real car so defensively! [:@]
Yeah, the douche in the beemer that's tailgating me right now is being serously annoying!

If only these forums weren't so difficult to use on a Blackberry browser I would perform some road-rage hoonage on that guy.

[X(]

...kidding, kidding...
Old 08-25-2009, 07:29 PM
tomst-maxx
My Feedback: (8)

lol nice to see i am not the only bb user that checks this site while driving lol
Old 08-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Access

Actually I would bet you if you randomly walked up to someone on the street and ask them how to perform any given step, half or more would fail. If you are talking about the US something like 40% of the people in the nation today cannot read english at an eigth grade level. I've met people in LHS who had to ask for help b'cos they couldn't figure out how to remove a body clip. Honestly I've seen it all when it comes to mechanical ineptitude, people who for instance could not change a tire to save their own life. They're out there, and they're not the exception anymore, they're the norm. They're everywhere and today's products have to appeal to that lowest common denominator in order to suceed in today's marketplace.
You have to remember, you need to be mechanically inclined of some degree to work on these models. Im not saying you have to be an engineer, but my first car ever was a kit (Losi XXX buggy) and I had never driven or seen a hobby grade RC car before, but I didnt have any problems with the car. Okay maybe a little trouble with the ball diff, but I was about 8 or younger when I did that, and that was in 2000 or so.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 PM
gman1

I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest in the forum when i started this post, or maybe i did, JK. But in all seriousness, I'm starting to get annoyed when I'm flipping through my wide variety of R/C Magazines and i see a sweet looking short course truck that i would love to purchase, but there it sits in it's big bold letters RTR. The Traxxas truck i hear is pretty fun and can take some abuse, but maybe I'm being a lil biased when i say that I would never buy a Traxxass since I'm mostly into other companies products for some reason. Traxxass has always seemed way too kiddish to me and not to mention their annoying advertising spreads that take up almost half of my Mags. Ok, now so Traxxass is out of the picture for me, as they has already been decided, but what about HPI's new short course truck(Blitz)that's almost on it's way from the assembly line? You guessed it folks, sadly another RTR. Associated's electric truck if I'm not sadly mistaken is only available in pre built form as well. For God's sake this is patheticly annoying, since the companies supply you with junk electrics and some chinsy radio equipment that most people don't need or want considering the fact that we already own and have our preferred electrics that we would like to use instead.
There have been some very good points brought up in this thread, as well as some garbage ones to. Maybe if Us Americans weren't some dumbed down by the society we live in, than the incompetent ones that can't remove body clips and do other simple tasks could build a kit for once in their lives and be proud about it. Well then on the other hand RTR's are just soo easy to plug in and just go play, the heck with building kits anymore people, we're Americans and the media tells me we're #1, lol. Maybe it's time to re enact the Eugenics program again. JK.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Grease Monkey

www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_1171/products_id/34688/n/Team-Associated-SC10-110-Scale-Electric-2WD-Short-Course-Race-Truck-Kit

Dude, Associated makes a kit..... Buy it!
Ofna is coming out with a 4x4 SC truck but I don't know if its going to be offered in kit form....

Cheers
Old 08-25-2009, 10:04 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

and the hpi will also be realeased as both a kit and rtr i believe. also, you may be able to craigs list those stock electronics.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: gman1

I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest in the forum when i started this post, or maybe i did, JK. But in all seriousness, I'm starting to get annoyed when I'm flipping through my wide variety of R/C Magazines and i see a sweet looking short course truck that i would love to purchase, but there it sits in it's big bold letters RTR. The Traxxas truck i hear is pretty fun and can take some abuse, but maybe I'm being a lil biased when i say that I would never buy a Traxxass since I'm mostly into other companies products for some reason. Traxxass has always seemed way too kiddish to me and not to mention their annoying advertising spreads that take up almost half of my Mags. Ok, now so Traxxass is out of the picture for me, as they has already been decided, but what about HPI's new short course truck(Blitz)that's almost on it's way from the assembly line? You guessed it folks, sadly another RTR. Associated's electric truck if I'm not sadly mistaken is only available in pre built form as well. For God's sake this is patheticly annoying, since the companies supply you with junk electrics and some chinsy radio equipment that most people don't need or want considering the fact that we already own and have our preferred electrics that we would like to use instead.
There have been some very good points brought up in this thread, as well as some garbage ones to. Maybe if Us Americans weren't some dumbed down by the society we live in, than the incompetent ones that can't remove body clips and do other simple tasks could build a kit for once in their lives and be proud about it. Well then on the other hand RTR's are just soo easy to plug in and just go play, the heck with building kits anymore people, we're Americans and the media tells me we're #1, lol. Maybe it's time to re enact the Eugenics program again. JK.
Wow
Ive seen numerious builds of this kit!! on other forums.
Trust me, its a kit.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Steve.

I should add that the SC10 is the easiest kit I've ever built with the exception of a pan car and I've built a few ! The parts fit and finish is top notch, the tranny is the smoothest I've ever built. I think it's a great kit for beginners for a number of reasons, it's based on the RC10T4, the manual is excellent, the parts are bagged logically in groups that are numbered in each step, and it's an Associated. If you stick to the manual and open each bag only when necessary you can not screw it up. It's the perfect kit for a first time builder.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:15 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the SC10 is a great kit to build. I too noticed the smoothness of the transmission. I agree that it's a good build for a first time builder.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:24 AM
86waterpumper

Don't forget another thing. When you buy a rtr, you are assuming that whoever built it did so properly...
Most rtr you will find will work out of the box but that doesn't mean they are built properly.
Just for a example, a couple years back I bought the wheely king when it first came out. I drove it awhile in it's stock condition, and the rear diff ended up grenading. When I tore the truck down I could see that the pinion gear in the diff could walk in and out alot. It should have been shimmed way way tighter from the factory. I was able to fit a whole regular washer, not shim behind the gear. Had I built this truck I'd have never let this happen. Never forget that most if not all of these things are being assembled in china and so build quality is going to be hit or miss. Also remember that if you get a rtr or kit either one off ebay or somewhere other than a dealer and some part isn't right the company probably isn't going to warranty it.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Redvanmafia

its a whole new racing class, having them rtr is great, not everybody wants or is a diehard rc fanitic, some people just want in the action right NOW!, they dont care if they dont have the top of the line brushless or batterys there just there to have fun in this new racing class thats sweeping the nation, my lhs has a slash class, its great there getting more people into the hobby by having them RTR
Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 AM
cumquat

Most of these companies that are only offering R/C vehicles in
RTR should be ashamed of themselves. There are many vehicles that i would've considered buying if they actually came in kit form. This RTR business is getting quite old and rediculous!!! I'm at a loss for words for this seemingly continuous trend of only offering a Chinese labored, pre built R/C Car. Come on America grow up. If your over the age of 14 or so and can't assemble your own model. than you probably don't know much about how the cars internal and external parts work and quite frankly don't deserve to be driving it. Sorry to anyone that may be offended or disagree with what i have just stated, but I had to get this particular issue off my chest.
i got into the hobby when i was 14, i barely knew the difference between the front left knuckle and the motor guard. the short course trucks from traxxas and hpi are aimed towards people looking to get into the hobby, much like the evader was for me (a cheap but fun truck that wont snap 5 minutes after starting). losi's sc is an entry level yet competitive sc, ment for the begginer wonting to race. ae doesnt make any real bashers, they are a race company, thats why they are the only hugely popular company that makes a kit.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Druss

There is every level of participation in this hobby as in everything else in life. Some guys just want something to run once or twice a month to kill time. Others run hours every day. Because of this disparity you're going to see all levels of available RC vehicles.

I personally prefer kits myself but do own a few RTRs just because they are great vehicles. The Slash, Summit and ERBE are three of them. Almost all my on road cars are Tamiyas. Out of my 3 1/8 nitros 1 was RTR and the other two kits.

My next RC I can pretty much guarantee is going to be the Tamiya Tundra.

If you think you'll like a vehicle then just buy it. You're going to eventually strip it down for maintenance anyway.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:32 PM
sdp30

Iwould rather fix what breaks instead of wasting my time building somthing that is going to break . I have more fun driving than building. Rtr are great and personally if there wernt rtr I wouldn't be in this hobby. And saying that if you don't build a kit you shouldn't be in this hobbby is a stupid statement. I know plenty of people who ride 4 wheelers and motorcross and they didn't build there atvs or bikes they bought.
Them from a store rtr.

Most of these companies that are only offering R/C vehicles in
RTR should be ashamed of themselves. There are many vehicles that i would've considered buying if they actually came in kit form. This RTR business is getting quite old and rediculous!!! I'm at a loss for words for this seemingly continuous trend of only offering a Chinese labored, pre built R/C Car. Come on America grow up. If your over the age of 14 or so and can't assemble your own model. than you probably don't know much about how the cars internal and external parts work and quite frankly don't deserve to be driving it. Sorry to anyone that may be offended or disagree with what i have just stated, but I had to get this particular issue off my chest.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: sdp30

Iwould rather fix what breaks instead of wasting my time building somthing that is going to break . I have more fun driving than building. Rtr are great and personally if there wernt rtr I wouldn't be in this hobby. And saying that if you don't build a kit you shouldn't be in this hobbby is a stupid statement. I know plenty of people who ride 4 wheelers and motorcross and they didn't build there atvs or bikes they bought.
Them from a store rtr.

Thats also a bold statement. Motorcycle companies couldn't sell kits, cause if some one put it together wrong, it could be a potential death trap, therefore sewing, and bankruptcy would occur. Little off topic but you cant really compare to the 2 as rtr's.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Druss

The only thing that I can think of in comparison are other hobbies. For instance, would you rather buy a show model car (non RC) or build a model? Do you take your camera pictures to the photo shop or print at home? Do you do your own landscaping or hire someone else?

There are a lot of things that we can do ourselves that we pay others to do because it's more convenient.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:32 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: sdp30

Them from a store rtr.

Thats also a bold statement. Motorcycle companies couldn't sell kits, cause if some one put it together wrong, it could be a potential death trap, therefore sewing, and bankruptcy would occur. Little off topic but you cant really compare to the 2 as rtr's.
What are they going to sew? A pair of jeans?

But in all seriousness, if a company wanted to sell a motorcycle or car as a kit they could, many companies like factory five racing do it every day.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Snaut Rocket

Awww, dang spell check. Put the wrong word in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.