Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

1/8 electric or nitro buggy

Old 08-26-2009, 10:53 AM
hobdean
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 electric or nitro buggy

You guys who were nitro and went electric would you ever go back nitro? My first 1/8 buggy, trying to decide between electric or nitro. Tuned alot of airplane motors but, no car motors. Not sure if I want to spend all my time tuning motors again. I do like the the sound of gas motors.
Thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 11:34 AM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/8 electric or nitro buggy

I went from nitro to electric and back to nitro again. Electrics are really fun too but I like the sound and the smoke. Performance wise, I would definitely get the 1/8 Brushless Buggy. I find nitros more fun because the sound adds a lot of excitement to it.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would not go back to nitro. I never had much trouble tuning engines, but I hate cleaning the exhaust goo off everything, carrying a starter box or rotostart and glow heater, and the noise, while nice music at first, really starts to get irritating after a while(at least it does to me). The cost of a few gallons of nitro at today's pricing is about the same as decent "budget" packs which will still work well long after the nitro's been burned. A decent 1/8 scale motor/esc combo doesn't even cost significantly more than a quality "race" .21 engine anymore either. the only downside I see is that you need a better charger, as it takes twice as long to recharge if you run two packs in series and have a single output charger(you could charge in series, many do, but I won't recommend it and many chargers can't handle more than 3S anyway). I think both technologies have developed to the point where you really have to just pick whichever fits your priorities better.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Chris_RC

I have both nitro and electric, and I personally like nitro 1/8 better. First of all, the class is booming. There is about 10 heats of nitro buggy and 1 heat of electric buggy at big races. Nitro really isnt all that much maintence, it takes an hour to get it in top condition after a race weekend. If you race, you dont have to 'lug around' your starter box or glow igniter, you just have it in the pits and your pit man starts it up and does everything else. I find nitro more rewarding too for some reason. I have never had a problem with tuning an engine or any other nitro related issues most beginner's face.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Druss

I think the issue is that there is still more maintenance required with Nitro. Whether you enjoy it, find it a hassle or hate it does not change that fact.

The instant power of brushless can be intoxicating as well, I really don't like the noise or smell anyway so electric has been my mainstay. I still have 2 nitro buggies and 1 nitro heli but they don't get the run time of my electrics.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Dan H

1/8th buggy is my favorite class. I have had a few nitro buggies in the past, but since making the switch to 1/8th electric 6 months ago, I would never go back. Yeah, its nice to have the sound and smell of nitro, but the E-buggy makes up for it with amazing speed. I pretty much sold nearly all my nitros.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
hobdean

What I know iabout electrics comes from my electric airplane knowledge. I sold all my nitro and gas planes and went all electric. The power response is immediate for electric. You dont have to wait for the motor to wind up. Instant power. I wonder if there could be too much power and not enough traction in a buggy. Probably have to be pretty smooth around turns. My son has a slash ( he is only 3.5yrs) and I drive it alot. Raced it 3 times and already want something faster. Charge and go seems pretty simple to me. How heavy are the electrics campared to nitro, about the same or more? What set ups are you using ? Kyhosho is coming out with an RTR that is around $500. Modify the stearing linkage and should be a great car. Nobody has one so who knows.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Druss

There are a ton of conversion kits out there for existing 1/8 buggies so you don't have to be limited to those that come electric.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:51 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC
There is about 10 heats of nitro buggy and 1 heat of electric buggy at big races. If you race, you dont have to 'lug around' your starter box or glow igniter, you just have it in the pits and your pit man starts it up and does everything else.
Above quote shortened to just the bits I want to comment on from my perspective. Regarding popularity, at my local track there have been an almost equal number of entries in nitro and electric 1/8th scale this season, so participation levels can vary widely from one region to another. I don't race at a national level, so I can't comment on any more than my home track. Now, about pitting - that's another problem for me and may be for some others as well. I raced nitro 1/8 scale last season and since I was new at this track and showing up alone on raceday, it was kind of a hassle finding someone to pit for me every race day and coordinating to make sure they weren't already racing or marshalling the heats I was in, etc. Again, YMMV.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Dan H

ORIGINAL: hobdean

What I know iabout electrics comes from my electric airplane knowledge. I sold all my nitro and gas planes and went all electric. The power response is immediate for electric. You dont have to wait for the motor to wind up. Instant power. I wonder if there could be too much power and not enough traction in a buggy. Probably have to be pretty smooth around turns. My son has a slash ( he is only 3.5yrs) and I drive it alot. Raced it 3 times and already want something faster. Charge and go seems pretty simple to me. How heavy are the electrics campared to nitro, about the same or more? What set ups are you using ? Kyhosho is coming out with an RTR that is around $500. Modify the stearing linkage and should be a great car. Nobody has one so who knows.

Traction is dependent on the track conditions for offroad. I run a 2650kv motor in my 1/8th and by overpowered, if I'm not careful on the throttle, I sometimes overshoot the triple since it launches the buggy so hard. Of course, for top speeds, you can always gear up or down. Brushless motors already tend to have a lot of torque. Most 1/8th ESC's have some sort of tuning feature to soften the lower end too for slippery conditions.

I think my setup is a little heavier than the nitro counterpart. The batteries can be particularly heavy, especially if you need to meet a 15 minute main. I would pass on the Kyosho. Its not bad, but there are better options out there.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

go for both and see which you like with an SC8 AE's giving away a free conversion kit with your SC8 purchase...

the lug
Old 08-26-2009, 11:25 PM
P bomstad

For me it is electric all the way. Just got tired and frusterated with all the hastle of nitro. All the tuning and motor oil mess was maddening. With the electric I just hook up a battery and go. The only mess to clean up is whatever u pick up from the track.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Druss

I have to say that if there's any part of this hobby I don't actually enjoy... it's the cleaning. I love to build, love to run, love to upgrade.... don't enjoy the cleaning and maintenance side. Hell I even like to solder...
Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 AM
hobdean

ORIGINAL: Dan H

ORIGINAL: hobdean

Traction is dependent on the track conditions for offroad. I run a 2650kv motor in my 1/8th and by overpowered, if I'm not careful on the throttle, I sometimes overshoot the triple since it launches the buggy so hard. Of course, for top speeds, you can always gear up or down. Brushless motors already tend to have a lot of torque. Most 1/8th ESC's have some sort of tuning feature to soften the lower end too for slippery conditions.

I think my setup is a little heavier than the nitro counterpart. The batteries can be particularly heavy, especially if you need to meet a 15 minute main. I would pass on the Kyosho. Its not bad, but there are better options out there.
What is your setup? What motor? How many cells? What is the best set up?
Old 08-30-2009, 07:49 AM
sheograth

I enjoy both a lot. Electric is definitely cleaner and more maintenance free, fre I still love the sound and throttle feel of nitro.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 AM
For_The_Win

Lol the only downside to electric is. People that dont know much about electric will look down on you and think your slow lol.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Furadi

I have both nitro and electric, and I personally like nitro 1/8 better. First of all, the class is booming. There is about 10 heats of nitro buggy and 1 heat of electric buggy at big races. Nitro really isnt all that much maintence, it takes an hour to get it in top condition after a race weekend. If you race, you dont have to 'lug around' your starter box or glow igniter, you just have it in the pits and your pit man starts it up and does everything else. I find nitro more rewarding too for some reason. I have never had a problem with tuning an engine or any other nitro related issues most beginner's face.
What are you smoking?? How in the hell can you possibly clean an 1/8 in 1 hour? YOU CANT.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Willystylz

To me with the insurgence of 1/8 electric just fairly recently underway, how long before the wind is taken out of 1/8 nitro's sails?? There may be a ton of 1/8 nitro classes, but how long before that changes. Nobody but time really knows.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: Furadi

What are you smoking?? How in the hell can you possibly clean an 1/8 in 1 hour? YOU CANT.
I have a electric screwdriver so times will be a little faster than people who use hand tools. 4 minutes to remove engine and carb link, 3 minutes to take radio tray off, 5 minutes to do things like taking the tank off, loosening pipe mounting screw to get the pipe off, etc., We are now at 12 minutes. 30 mintues to clean off with air compressor, simple green, wd40 and pledge then any bearings that I can see. Now 6 minutes to clean off the engien with simple green, spin to clutch to make sure bearings are not gritty, and clean off the radio tray with simple green. Now another 12 minutes to reassemble, and what do you know, 1 hour later!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Furadi

I have a electric screwdriver so times will be a little faster than people who use hand tools. 4 minutes to remove engine and carb link, 3 minutes to take radio tray off, 5 minutes to do things like taking the tank off, loosening pipe mounting screw to get the pipe off, etc., We are now at 12 minutes. 30 mintues to clean off with air compressor, simple green, wd40 and pledge then any bearings that I can see. Now 6 minutes to clean off the engien with simple green, spin to clutch to make sure bearings are not gritty, and clean off the radio tray with simple green. Now another 12 minutes to reassemble, and what do you know, 1 hour later!
I feel sorry for your 1/8th if you're actually cleaning it that fast... What about clutch maintenance? Or cleaning of the radio tray? Just inspecting, de-burring and polishing the clutch bell should take you at least 15 minutes..

Either way it's moot... Maybe you do clean faster than most. If that is the case than it would only take you 10 minutes to clean a brushless 1/8.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Chris_RC

I feel sorry for your 1/8th if you're actually cleaning it that fast... What about clutch maintenance? Or cleaning of the radio tray? Just inspecting, de-burring and polishing the clutch bell should take you at least 15 minutes..

Either way it's moot... Maybe you do clean faster than most. If that is the case than it would only take you 10 minutes to clean a brushless 1/8.
Thats my after heat before main clean. When I go home it takes about 4 hours to inspect almost everything in the car. Thats when I do clutch, shocks, diffs, etc. I dont refill and clean everything in that time, but if the shocks arent smooth or the diff is leaking/low of fluid, thats when I refill/clean.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Furadi

Thats my after heat before main clean. When I go home it takes about 4 hours to inspect almost everything in the car. Thats when I do clutch, shocks, diffs, etc. I dont refill and clean everything in that time, but if the shocks arent smooth or the diff is leaking/low of fluid, thats when I refill/clean.
Are you sure now? Because in your original post you said it was your "after a weekend of racing" clean...
Old 08-31-2009, 12:53 AM
rc rock

i race nitro 1/8 scale buggy. in fact i just bought a new buggy for the nitro class. even though i love nitro my electric 1/12 scale gets much more runtime. just charge and go. if they would let me race electric 1/8 here i probably would...
Old 08-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Chris_RC

Are you sure now? Because in your original post you said it was your ''after a weekend of racing'' clean...
Guess I didnt phrase my first post right then.