Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

INPUT!!! Redcat Racing Vortex EXP PRO Brushless Short course truck

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

INPUT!!! Redcat Racing Vortex EXP PRO Brushless Short course truck

Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 AM
blackyz250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: INPUT!!! Redcat Racing Vortex EXP PRO Brushless Short course truck

Hey George,

Just came accross this site and need to get some parts for my avalanche plus they where cheaper then anyone else, which is a major plus for me! No, I don't work for them or anything like that. It just that when I personally speak to the ownerI know that I'm going to be treated pretty good to keep up hisreputation. They have great prices and great support on redcat rc: http://www.nitrodeals.com I spoke to the owner (Mike)personally great guyand knows his ****. If you call him tell him that tony with the avalanche told you about him.

Tony

ORIGINAL: gagallagher04401

Any one know anything about the Redcat Racing Vortex EXP PRO Brushless (RTR) Short course truck.

It looks almost identical to the traxxas Slash. but it is brushless, which is awesome. The price is not high, so is it junk?

Does anyone have one, and or run one?

Would slash parts fit it?

All the info I can get would be great to help me sway me on getting one or not.

Thanks
George
Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 AM
amen

Hey guys,
Just my 2 bits about Redcats/maverick here in europe. I bought 1 last november a tornado epx 4 wd buggy. It was my first ride so i was a bit careless and have had some pretty nasty hits. I can honestly say that this is one tuff buggy!!!!! I have broken bodyshells, and a chasis (doing about 80km or so). I have bent front and back aluminum shock towers ( hammered them out no problems) dog bones got bent (bent them right back) But thats about it. If you can bend steel dogbones, and aluminum shock towers, but still have all your plastics in tact then you know its 1 tuff buggy. I have also used a velineon vxl Bl setup and its wicked fast! I do have some wear on my spur though, but i guess its normal since it wasnt really made for a BL setup. Spurs are ok though. Parts are cheap enough if you can get them. Bottom line is everything breaks! So just enjoy the run a couple of seconds before the big bang!
heres a link of the little beast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ycxEC1laA
Old 10-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Hey guys,
I have been looking at the Volcano EPX PRO 1/10 Scale Brushless Truck as well as the TSUNAMI EPX ( which is out of stock right now) My son and I are looking for some off road trucks that are fast but won't break the bank. We have to buy two. So that doubles our cost.
Which Do you guys think have the best support?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 PM
gagallagher04401
My Feedback: (20)

Hey bud, well I asked you above questions kinda LOL I stayed clear.

You ever thougt about something like a 1/18th scale mini quake or Associated RC18T (I have one)

Very nice for 1/18th scale, fast and fun stock, and there are upgrades galore for it. You can also when ready go brushless They you can talk about a speeding bullet!

Check out www.thetoyz.com TONS OF PARTS!

just my 2 cents.

George
Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks, I have had the 18T, it was nice and I like associated stuff, but this time is different. My son and I take it easy with our stuff, and we need two, so I dont want anything that will break the bank and I want two 1/10 scale trucks or truggies.
I have had just about everything you can think of. I bet you can't guess what some of these are lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66462.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	1293681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50326.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	1293682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn87437.jpg
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	1293683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua18291.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1293684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91570.jpg
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	1293685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91396.jpg
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1293686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21494.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1293687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vh56384.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1293688  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ut66087.jpg
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	1293689  
Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
gagallagher04401

ok lol I officially know nothing lol

Well then the redcat may be the way to go, but I do nto know much about them.

I run a 1/4 scale HPI baja SS 2-stroke FUN AS HELL!! 3ft long, 20+lbs 40+mph, all smiles
Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks,
Sounds like a nice buggy. I just don't have anywere to run something like that. Not close anyway. I'm also not much of a nitro/gas lover anymore. Used to be.

I just need to kow which one I mentioned has better customer service. I may email and call both and see how fast the response times are ahd of what quality the responses are
Old 10-12-2009, 08:22 PM
gagallagher04401

Sorry wish I could help bud.

I would search around and see which one seems more popular, forums, and parts/hopups available.

Good luck
Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 PM
cockerpunk

i recently bought a tornado epx pro and i love it.

its tough, simple, and has good performance.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Wheelnut

Where did you get yours?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 PM
blackyz250

Hey Bro,

Check out http://www.nitrodeals.com/Mike is the owner and a great guy. Has awesome prices too! If you do call him tell that tony with the redcat avalanche xp from lawrenceburg sent you. I don't work for him! I need a fuel tank for my avalanche xpsoI was googling and his site came up with a very inexpensive price for it.

Tony

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

Where did you get yours?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:46 PM
cockerpunk

XenonProject.com

Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Wheelnut

Tony, thanks. I am waiting on a reply from them to see if they carry the Pro (brushless) series, and if they are going to get the Stunami back in stock and when.

cockerpunk, those guys you found are on the expensive side.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:42 PM
jongillis

I have had the Redcat Vortex EPX PRo for a few months now and I love it. I am new to the hobby so I too did not want to spend too much to 'test' my liking of RC'ing. I got it at xenonproject.com for $175 delivered.

I have been very happy so far. Plenty fast enough for me now. Comes with upgrades like Aluminum shocks, shock towers, driveshaft, and upper support.

I have found that parts are not the easiest to identify because the parts diagram I received with the truck has all of their vehicles on it and the Vortex seems to be a conglomeration of a few other vehicles. I have bought aluminum hub carriers from redcatracing.com. Very reasonable and fast shipping. However they did not source lower a arms correctly for me, even after several emails to make sure I was buying the correct part.

If you take it easy on them I think it would be a good buy for the price.

IMHO
Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Wheelnut

Well, it has been 24 hrs and no respoinse from either site[>:]
Not looking good so far
Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Wheelnut

I guess these guys don't want to sell trucks. I never heard back from them. Do they think they can really sell trucks by not getting back to people?

I decided to order two Stampede XL-5s for my son and I. They should be here Friday.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Nitro Killer Dave

I'm thinking about getting one. I can get one for $148.99 new. I think it's a good deal. It's either that or a Redcat Rockslide for $120.00. The Vortex everybodys talking about seems like a pretty nice truck. I have an Exceed Titan Nitro, and a Master VH-X5 buggy. I'm just thinking of getting something electric. I love the smell of nitro, and the sound. Not to mention the raw power of a bigblock. I just need something quiet that I can take to a park without everyone getting pissed off. The Vortex seems just right for the price. If anyone knows where to get one cheaper let me know! I'm kinda looking at the Rockcrawler too. I just wish someone made one that was fast and climb a rock hill. It would have to be costom built I bet! I just got the new Xtreme RC Cars magazine. They have an article on Trucks. They compared the Associated SC10, HPI Racing Blitz, Kyosho Ultima SC, Losi Strike SCT, and the Traxxas Slash! They were all hoped up. Great article. The SC10 got a 9.5, the Blitz got 8.0, Kyosho 9.0, Strike 7.5, Traxxas 8.0. I wish they would of had a raiting for the Vortex! Too the guy that lost his mom, Sorry to hear that. I lost my father a few years ago, and I look at it as if he moved. I'll see him again some day. Just not now. I have too much bashing left to do!!! Later Bashers!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 AM
john01374

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the first copy of that mag where they tested all the SC trucks stock but I haven't gotten the follow up. I have Vortex EPX and it's turning out to be a very nice truck. Mine is currently running a 15T speed Gems and XL5 ESC. I've had to replace the Pinion and spur once and the front bumper but the bumper was my fault. I slid into some pallet racking at 30ish mph.

I'm sure the reason they excluded the Redcat was either the fact that it is a lot smaller that all the others, It's 4WD or the simply fact that Redcat doesn't spend money advertising in their mag.

Either way I wouldn't put much faith in a Mag that rates an SC10 at 9.5 unless they rebuilt the entire truck out of RPM parts. Having built and run a couple of them I'm shocked at a rating that high. Especially when the the Blitz and Kyosho where in the same test.

Thanks for the kind words... I'm looking at the loss the same way.. I'll see her again when the time is right but some days are still harder than others.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Wheelnut

I was thinking about getting a Vortex, but they never even bothered to reply to my emails. I simply won't buy from people who don't respond. So I bought two Pede's and my son and we are very happy.