Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

new rustler motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 AM
klaben1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rustler motor

hi i was wondering what type of motor would be a really nice bashing around setup in my new rustler im looking for power not top speed the titan 550 can motors suck so i ordered a new reedy stockstar 27t motor but i dont know if its what i need. i dont need a 550 right? i can use a nice 540? please help me out im not good with motor selection
Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 AM
CarGuy7a

Default RE: new rustler motor

A 27T IMO would be slower than the Titan.

In your case a good 17T 540 size motor would be the most practical choice. Just remember to properly breakin the motor so you'll get the longest possible life before you have to rebuild it. You can do this by setting your ESC which I am assuming is an XL-5, to training mode 50% throttle, hook your battery up and go full throttle for about 3 to 5 minutes, then continue normal use on the motor.

I've heard these are good motors.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJAJ4&P=ML

Also remember the rule of thumb for the Rustler gearing a 540 size motor.

Gear 2 teeth lower on the pinion than the number of turns in a 540 motor.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 AM
TornadoGuy

The Orions are great. I was looking at them but the turns were too low, and my speed controller couldn't handle it. (TEU-101BK in Hornet). Obviously yours could.

So the best Motor I could find was this right here -

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLXT7&P=0]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLXT7&P=0[/link]

All I could find was good talk on it.

That is the pro version, which I would aim for because the features are much more than the regular version, for only a couple extra bucks. I have this motor in my Tamiya Hornet, and it is just great. Amazing acceleration, top speed, and run-times, all combine in one Motor.

The proper break-in for the motor above is, to run it at 3 volts for 8 minutes. Then, install it on the vehicle. (Optional), you could place the vehicle off the ground so the spinning wheels won't touch, and run it for 5 minutes at quarter throttle. This is just extra break-in but is always good to do. Again it is not at all necessary, ONCE THE OTHER BREAK-IN IS COMPLETE.

Anyway this Motor along with the other would serve you great.

Joe
Old 08-30-2009, 06:47 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna get a buncha crud for pushin this motor again, but TornadoGuy hit it right on the head............the Co27 is the best one for you and it is an absolute powerhouse.[:@]. Its got gobs of torque and it revs forever.....................its a stallion
Old 08-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Redvanmafia

Stock motors dont equal power my friend
Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 PM
rebuilder

What does that even mean?...................Do you have something in a motor to offer klaben1 for his rustler?....................I'm sure he wasnt looking for nonsensical comments.........he was wanting help.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:13 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

Stock motors dont equal power my friend
That makes no since. I think that should give you a rep and if your bad they take it away. But ALOT of people like the orion bb motors. i think 17 is good i have there 13 and its nice
Old 08-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

I have the 17T team orion pro bb.

Worked VERY well right away, then I noticed some decline in performance, but it was still awesome. Then after some crazy mean abuse to it at the skate park......it didn't like me anymore

I'm sure if I hadn't been crazy with it, it would have held on a lot longer. I had it in a slash, with 12/86 gearing.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:19 PM
TornadoGuy

Well, most stock motor don't equal power, but the trinity does. The thing rips like crazy in my hornet. It brought it from 18.3 mph, to 26.7 mph. For your case klaben1 I would go with the Trinity I linked above. It's the next best thing to a $100 Brushless system. In My Opinion.

Joe
Old 08-30-2009, 11:28 PM
rebuilder

ORIGINAL: TornadoGuy

Well, most stock motor don't equal power, but the trinity does. The thing rips like crazy in my hornet. It brought it from 18.3 mph, to 26.7 mph. For your case klaben1 I would go with the Trinity I linked above. It's the next best thing to a $100 Brushless system. In My Opinion.

Joe
I agree..........................
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Littl3TuffGuy13

Speedgems are pretty nice.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 AM
klaben1

thanks guys i appreciate it! ill look into these options, i already ordered a reedy stockstar motor that is 27 turn and i guess its a very new motor out there so you may have not heard of it ill let you know how it works. if i am not satisfied ill get one of the other ones you dudes have mentioned. the reedy stockstar is supposed to be comparable with the co27? so maybe it will be cool. i hope that it does wheelies still, i love when it does that. heres a link to the motor [link]http://67.199.85.166/main/productdetails.php?text=300&category=5051.xxxxx[/link] oh anybody else have any problems with burning out the damned titan 12 turn i went through 3 of them so far and the things not a week old yet its crazy! thanks again and is 23 tooth pinion ok for 27 turn motor????
Old 08-31-2009, 01:28 AM
subsage

ORIGINAL: TornadoGuy

Joe
I'm confused. Most people seem to typically recommend lower turn motors. Which type of motor would be best for driving on grass? My assumption is that the higher turn motor would be better for such an application, whereas a lower turn motor would be better for pavement and packed dirt. Am I correct?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:47 AM
klaben1

yea that sounds about right because the on road rc touring racers always seem to be using the like 9 turn and 8 turn crazy motors, i was always under the assumption more turns = more torque and less = more rpm. im probably wrong tho i dont really know
Old 08-31-2009, 02:36 AM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: klaben1
thanks again and is 23 tooth pinion ok for 27 turn motor????
Yeah a 23 should be ok.

The only problem with running low turn motors in the Rustler, For example 15T and lower, is that it's not practical for offroad use since you have to gear so low to keep the motor from cooking.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:37 AM
TornadoGuy

Lower turns are usually recommended. But, the lower the turn may mean more speed on-road but off-road performance will go down. Higher turns are better for off-road not so much pavement. Notice crawlers have high turn motors.

That is why I would recommend the CO27 or the StockStar, either will be just fine, for both on and off-road. Which I assume you will do since it is a rustler.

Yes, by the way I haven't blown a rustler motor but, they aren't good at all. Don't ask why an expensive car wouldn't have a good motor. My RedCatRacing Tornado EPX's Motor is over 1 year old, and is working with no problem.

Anyway good luck Klaben

Joe

Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Redvanmafia

brushed motors are slow, if anybody argues your a noob, 150-160 bucks is so easy to come by you could make it busking out front the local liqour store in a few days maybe even few hours if your good enough lol, If you have enough money to drop 200 on a truck you can buy a brushless, theres no excuse unless its ma & pops cash