Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Good deal for 2.4ghz

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good deal for 2.4ghz

This looks like a good deal for a name brand radio

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXMV5&P=0
Old 09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
IloveMYxt2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good deal for 2.4ghz

I would recommend this one:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751548.asp

Works flawlessly and has great range and many features for only a 100 bucks.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 AM
ludeman

I'm so happy that 2.4ghz cheap radio's are finally hitting the market. I picked up this [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWPW0&P=ML]one[/link] last month.

Those other ones are nicer but for me I kinda like the simplicity of a basic radio.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:03 PM
rebuilder

I know this one is only 30 bucks less.............but i like to be frugal(note i didnt say "cheap") in this hobby. I run the Tower 2.4ghz, which is the same radio as some other companies use (i think losi uses it?) it $79 bucks. I use mine on boats, basically because i'm fearful of a signal issue, and in a boat that can be catastrophic....................i have 4 receivers and a radio and never once have i had a problem. I cruise my boats out to where i can barely see them, no problem, never even one glitch. I have a land rig that i could NOT stop glitching issues on, i threw a 2.4 rx in it and it runs perfect, im sold. I am not trying to push this product because tower has gotten just a bit on my nerves with their "available Mid Oct" which gets pushed back, but these are in stock now, and im just giving you and others an honest evaluation, i mean, if it works, who cares what name is on it, i dont. Plus the Tx only needs 4 AA's................and i love not having to shove an antenna up a darn tube. I am slowly learning that quality does not always cost the most in a product category.............look at maxamps for example, highest price and low quality............that is just the example that came to mind. Good luck!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWPW0&P=ML

P.S. - and yes it HAS steering rate adjustment ( which is NOT trim)................and BTW, the Futaba does look like a good deal.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Redvanmafia

i would take the futaba, thats great that 2.4ghz is only 110 bucks
Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: rebuilder

I know this one is only 30 bucks less.............but i like to be frugal(note i didnt say ''cheap'') in this hobby. I run the Tower 2.4ghz, which is the same radio as some other companies use (i think losi uses it?) it $79 bucks. I use mine on boats, basically because i'm fearful of a signal issue, and in a boat that can be catastrophic....................i have 4 receivers and a radio and never once have i had a problem. I cruise my boats out to where i can barely see them, no problem, never even one glitch. I have a land rig that i could NOT stop glitching issues on, i threw a 2.4 rx in it and it runs perfect, im sold. I am not trying to push this product because tower has gotten just a bit on my nerves with their ''available Mid Oct'' which gets pushed back, but these are in stock now, and im just giving you and others an honest evaluation, i mean, if it works, who cares what name is on it, i dont. Plus the Tx only needs 4 AA's................and i love not having to shove an antenna up a darn tube. I am slowly learning that quality does not always cost the most in a product category.............look at maxamps for example, highest price and low quality............that is just the example that came to mind. Good luck!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWPW0&P=ML

P.S. - and yes it HAS steering rate adjustment ( which is NOT trim)................and BTW, the Futaba does look like a good deal.
I am getting one of these when the wife say Yes.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:08 PM
michaellake

Get the Spectrum DX3S It comes with 2 recivers and is easy to use. havent had any problems
Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 PM
860Crawler

I wish $100 2.4ghz radios were out when I bought one. Well, at least I got 2 receivers and 2 servos with mine, I guess it helps soften the blow.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:28 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

two things i like about the tower radio are the cheap recievers, and the internal antenna design on the recievers. i think i might finally make the jump to 2.4Ghz.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:53 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I am getting one of these whan the wife say Yes.
COME ON, BE A MAN. buy it behind her back, that's what I always do

I saw in another post that those futabas are not compatible with the more expensive FASST radios and receivers. that is a turn off for me.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 PM
rebuilder

I'm not sure what FASST is exactly, but i use my Tower 2.4Ghz with brushed and brushless esc's with all different voltage levels, 10 cell nimh, 4s lipo, 3s lipo etc.......................no problems. One of my receivers came open(from pulling it off of velcro)and the little circuit board fell out, it was so simple looking...............very thin and light, but it works, i just snapped it back together.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:08 PM
sharkattack99

this is a cheap 2.4 ghz if they ever get back in stock, lol

http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps61208
Old 09-03-2009, 06:48 PM
ScottStaypuff

ORIGINAL: sharkattack99

this is a cheap 2.4 ghz if they ever get back in stock, lol

http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps61208

That has a face ony a mother could love, however who cares, its just a radio and it might be very comfy to hold.

I have a $150 Airtronics with bells and whistles for "race" vehicles, then a Tactic (same as Tower's $80 radio) for bashers. I think they are both great.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:15 PM
860Crawler

ORIGINAL: rebuilder

I'm not sure what FASST is exactly, but i use my Tower 2.4Ghz with brushed and brushless esc's with all different voltage levels, 10 cell nimh, 4s lipo, 3s lipo etc.......................no problems. One of my receivers came open(from pulling it off of velcro)and the little circuit board fell out, it was so simple looking...............very thin and light, but it works, i just snapped it back together.

FASST is Futaba's marketing term for their spread spectrum technology.

Yeah the receivers are really simple looking. i had to take apart my Spektrum RX when it got wet with ocean salt water. It was the tiniest little circuit board with plugs and an antenna and thats pretty much it. rinsed the salt water off and let it dry and it worked again
Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 PM
For_The_Win

I rather have the airotronics just for the fact its Team Associated Rtr radios and ive had there am one and i swear it acted like a 2.4ghz. I have Futaba's Fm Magnum, and i love. So either one its going to be amazing. But I want the Dx3s so i can hook up the temp sensor on my esc to see what it is while raceing.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:30 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: kistner

I am getting one of these whan the wife say Yes.
COME ON, BE A MAN. buy it behind her back, that's what I always do

I saw in another post that those futabas are not compatible with the more expensive FASST radios and receivers. that is a turn off for me.
I just did that with some tires and a lipo,Now i just have to make sure i get to the post office before her.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:23 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a good price, nice to see 2.4ghz systems becoming cheaper. It's also nice to see them included with more and more RTRs
Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 AM
fritzzzz

Does anyone know much about either of these?

Acoms Technisport 2.4GHz 2 channel steerwheel RC system
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...=BiggerPicture

KO Propo EX-5 UR
http://www.kopropo.com/america/index...=35&Itemid=138

Little bit pricier but I'm confused trying to work them all out....

If you pick a brand are you pretty much stuck with buying RX for that brand? Just worried about them stopping production of them or upgrading them suddenly...
Old 09-04-2009, 07:30 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you pick a brand are you pretty much stuck with buying RX for that brand? Just worried about them stopping production of them or upgrading them suddenly...
yes. thats why I am not a fan of the new futaba 2.4. if you upgrade to one of their better radios down the line you need new receivers.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Redvanmafia

futaba FASST 2.4 is still pricey, i have to recivers and both were 100 bucks a pop, and still are so i make sure i dont run my truck thru any water,
Old 09-05-2009, 01:52 AM
bhcvc

I like the new Airtronics one as it has digital features like trim memories, but the RXs are still $80 a piece...$10 cheaper than their RXs for their higher end radios. If you have to equip a few cars, that gets pricey! The Tower RXs are only $22. I got 3 extra RXs for less than what 1 RX from another brand cost and can run most of my cars. If it works well, then I'm satisfied. I don't race, so I don't "need" all the fancy features...though some of them (trim settings) are nice.