Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

[pics] Vintage 1986 Nikko Dictator 4WD Buggy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:28 AM
Vert1go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [pics] Vintage 1986 Nikko Dictator 4WD Buggy!

Hey everyone, I'm new here. Iwas going through my closet and Ifound this old Nikko Dictator RC car, complete in the box from 1986. Iremember getting this for Christmas when Iwas like 9 years old. It was probably used 2-3 times, and it's MINT. It's a bit dusty, and Ihaven't even cleaned it yet but I'm thinking it would look perfect once I clean it. It uses a standard 7.2 6-cell pack so Imay try it out again after all of these years.

Ihave no idea what to do with this, is it even worth using or do people collect these things? Oh yeah, Iam getting back into RC, so I was thinking of buying a new E-Revo, but that's for another post

Old 09-14-2009, 03:22 PM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: [pics] Vintage 1986 Nikko Dictator 4WD Buggy!

throw a deans plug on it and enjoy it.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:41 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow............nice find, and in your own closet! I collect older Nikko's, i've got several. If it were mine, i would carefully run it around the yard if i chose to drive it at all..............i would be sick to scratch it up. I see its also digital proportional, pretty big deal for 23 years ago in the nikko line. I'd make it a shelf Queen or throw it on e-bay if you need the cash for an E-revo, it should bring some pretty good $$.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Luth7799

Very cool! Thx for sharing the pics. I like Nikko. I think they make somecool cars. Have fun with it!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:14 PM
trx1

latest score. anyone help me, im needing front tires 4 this!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
neyou86

wow nikko made an rc with suspension. hmmmm i think that must be the only one. haha nice find though looks fun to drive
Old 12-02-2009, 07:14 AM
moogaloonie

Iagree, they are very rare in that condition and it would be a shame to tear it up now. My first kit car was a BoLink Digger, which Igot instead of the Sand Scorcher Ireally wanted. I quickly shredded the foam tires and soon became bored with the lack of hop-up options. I probably would've moved on altogether if my mom hadn't bought me a Turbo Hopper when Ifinished 9th grade. Around this time the companies were fast moving away from scale realism and it seemed every car released was another truggy with oversized wheels and a flimsy detail-less body. It's for that reason I liked the Nikko Dictator and Thunderbolt, not because they were such good performers but because they were the last buggies that looked to me what I felt a buggy should look like.

Now thanks to ebay I have two working stock Nikko frame buggies (a 380 and a 540), a Golden Arrow, a Scorpion and a modified Nikko f10 with a Tamiya Black motor and Futaba radio gear. Oh, and Ifinally got a nice Dictator too, though Ican't find tires for it for the life of me. I'm tempted to see if Nikko still stocks parts for cars that old...

It is what it is. It might not get much respect around here, but in that condition you could still get $100-200 on ebay.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 AM
GameOverCJ

This should be in http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_498/tt.htm

Sweet rig though . What's the bottom look like? You could probably turn that thing into a little beast with some upgrades.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 AM
rebuilder

I dont agree with it being in toy grade forums.......................It has proportional speed and steering, 4 wheel independant suspension w/shocks, removable wheels and can accept a motor upgrade by just droppin one in. I like it!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:44 PM
intimidator_md

ORIGINAL: trx1

latest score. anyone help me, im needing front tires 4 this!
Oh nice man, looks like an old turbo panther. I miss mine so much, had one but got rid of it many years ago. I regret doing that cuz it was one awesome buggy.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
amen

I actually have have a set of nikkos. They came 2 in a box they are both buggys, one is a cyclone and the other a stinger. Those were the days....
Old 12-02-2009, 03:13 PM
860Crawler

That Dictator looks similar to the Tamiya Boomerang, without the monoshock
Old 12-04-2009, 11:01 PM
i rule

Can I buy the dictator from you? If so how much is it?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Ken448

cool stuff right there!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:44 PM
monsterbrad

That was my first RC that had some decent power
It was a long time ago but I do remember that mine got run through a large deep puddle and that was the end of it
never ran right after that
It was an awesome car though back when I was 7 or 8 I do believe
I am 29 now and wish I could find a mint condition one to add to the fleet
if you are thinking about selling that let me know
Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 PM
i rule

I have got a dictator but I broke the steering box around a week ago. If i got a new one I would be pretty happy. By the way I am nine years old!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:36 AM
last5liter

Default Update....

Did this dictator ever sell or did he keep it?
Old 01-05-2018, 03:37 AM
Smiff 24

curious to know too haha, 9 yr. old thread !
those were nice r/c's back then, my son's friend brought one to our house he got for Christmas years ago from Toys R us.
Toys R us sold Tamiya kits back then too! (why did they quit) ?
Anyway this one the OP has is Mint !
Old 07-30-2019, 11:45 AM
nesta99

Hi there, New member here so hope its ok to post here. Apologies for bumping this old thread but it is very similar to what I was going to post myself anyway. During a clear out I found my own old RC car from circa 1987 I think. Not quite so fancy as the example above, the cheaper and smaller model. I dont seem to have the charger which I can only assume that it was pinched by a sibling at some point over the last 30 odd years. If anyone has any idea about the availability of original chargers of the time it would be a great help. As even the original packaging is reasonably ok and I have all the stuff that came with the RC car originally i'd like to keep it all as authentic as possible. I'd also be interested in finding out from far more knowledgable people anything about this car. I'm not an enthusiast and this was a Christmas gift that probably only got a couple of run outs. Value, anything i need to be aware of before testing it, replacement batterypacks eg where I could get the correct one are all wee bits of info I'm hoping someone will be able to advise on.

I too would love to know what happened with the OP's car - I promise that I will keep the thread updated even if it isnt quite as nice a piece!!
Regards
Paul

Hmmm I cant seem to post pics until I have 10 posts - any way around this mods rather than spamming any thread? Though they are my own pics rather than URLs?

**I've loaded a few pics to the gallery if people can access to have a look.

Last edited by nesta99; 07-30-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:37 PM
Smiff 24

Hey nesta99, Nice Jr you have there !
Does it have a 7.2 battery pack ? Ni-Mh or Ni-Cd ?
Theres several inexpensive chargers out there that will charge the Nickel base batteries or even an old wall wart charger will do.
BTW I still like the ole vintage stuff too. And welcome to RCU !