Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What's faster on the track, Slash or SC10?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 PM
HandyRacing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's faster on the track, Slash or SC10?

Check out the side by side A-Main times analysis between Slash Spec and Short Course Truck classes [link=http://blog.handyracing.com/2009/09/18/whats-faster-on-the-track-slash-or-the-new-sc-trucks.aspx]here[/link]:

Let us know what you think?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 PM
XXT-CRer

Default RE: What's faster on the track, Slash or SC10?

ryan maifield is going to be faster with a slash than i will be with an sc10.

on the other hand ryan mayfield is going to be faster with an sc10 than i will be with a slash.

in equal hands i think the sc10 will have slightly faster lap times. i think a 25 year racing pedigree cant be simply dismissed.

i could be wrong, i dont own either, but it stands to reason.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:57 PM
crushgear64

s10 has a lower centre of gravity so can probably take the corners faster.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:08 PM
HandyRacing

Ryan Mafield didn't run in our race series, but some really good racing happend over the summer...

Thanks for checking it out.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:14 PM
XXT-CRer

which ever one would be faster, i dunno', but they sure do look fun.

one thing that really appeals to me about them is the sustained fender to fender abilities those trucks have.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:19 PM
HandyRacing

Watch for this one in the Battlefront SC A-Main, it flies like a bird and its smooth as glass:

Its a home made Academy Short Course truck
Old 09-19-2009, 12:47 AM
XXT-CRer

that is soooooo cool looking.

any chance of getting a look under that shell????
Old 09-19-2009, 12:56 AM
XXT-CRer

oh ya, i would like to add, i LOVE the way that announcer gets into it.

its funny as ####, and it really gets you into the action as a spectator. every rc track needs an announcer like that. so much better than most you hear.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:29 AM
HandyRacing

Yeah, Jessie is the best.

You can see under the hood [link=http://blog.handyracing.com/2009/08/01/worlds-first-academy-short-course-truck.aspx]here[/link]
Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 AM
Zero369

ORIGINAL: XXT-CRer

on the other hand ryan mayfield is going to be faster with an sc10 than i will be with a slash.

in equal hands i think the sc10 will have slightly faster lap times. i think a 25 year racing pedigree cant be simply dismissed.

Yah, I totally agree word for word! Racing has more to do with driver skill and proper setup rather than product. I will lean more towards the SC10 beings it has a multi champion heritage in its roots and is a proven racing design. Who knows though, maybe Traxxas made a real race truck this time that is an underdog but will prove to be too much for the SC10's and Traxxas will prevail, I mean look at the Revo and its racing class . Maybe the SC class will be like the Losi and AE debate for 1/10 Truck and Buggy "What is better, Losi or AE?" Now here we are, hearing the debate in the SC class "What is better, Traxxas or AE?"... who would of thought in a million years that a debate would occur about what is better between Traxxas and AE. I say get either truck and learn to set it up and drive it, you can't go wrong. Then again, why not buy both, they are both dirt cheap!

Ray
Old 09-19-2009, 08:42 AM
HandyRacing

ORIGINAL: Zero369

Yah, I totally agree word for word! Racing has more to do with driver skill and proper setup rather than product. I will lean more towards the SC10 beings it has a multi champion heritage in its roots and is a proven racing design. Who knows though, maybe Traxxas made a real race truck this time that is an underdog but will prove to be too much for the SC10's and Traxxas will prevail, I mean look at the Revo and its racing class . Maybe the SC class will be like the Losi and AE debate for 1/10 Truck and Buggy ''What is better, Losi or AE?'' Now here we are, hearing the debate in the SC class ''What is better, Traxxas or AE?''... who would of thought in a million years that a debate would occur about what is better between Traxxas and AE. I say get either truck and learn to set it up and drive it, you can't go wrong. Then again, why not buy both, they are both dirt cheap!

Ray
I think so too about the driver. And I like to think the track is the great equalizer.

Our local track is running an SC Open class this winter, all the makings of a great program. Should be a hoot.

Thanks for checking us out.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Arigato

I agree with the above posts as well. It comes down to 3 things in SCT racing.

1. Driver skill...enough said

2. Track knowledge

3. Familiarity with your vehicle

#1 speaks for itself while 2 and 3 can be explained from personal experience. I have a track on my property and run races almost every weekend. When someone complains about their truck they usually ask me to drive it and tell them what I think. Usually, I can hand them my car and race theirs and still win races. I'm a decent driver, however, since it's my track I've spun thousands of laps around it and know every little nuance of it. When I get my truck back I usually do even better because those thousands of laps were driven with that truck so I know how it will react to every part of the the track.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:10 AM
HandyRacing

Yeah, I think we all agree on all three. It really isn't any difference in a Slash / SC conversation than it is in a 1/10 buggy or stadium truck, electric or nitro 1/8 scale racing comparison... the same principles apply.

The thing I like is give a kid a Slash, they will race. And then there are those snooty ones who think a Traxxas could never compete with a Losi or AE offering.

(and for a < $200 price point entry)

And then the hop ups that are available for eveyone to make their vehicle unique.

I'm a jumping up and down cheerleader for the whole Short Course truck class revolution... It's brought a whole new crop of young racers into the sport, as well as helped bring back a lot of vetrans who had been on the sidelines for awhile.

Its a blast being part of the fender rubbing / rough and tumble style racing instead of the (getting kind of stale well groomed track finesse style driving?) of regular ole buggy and stadium truck classes. Not that they aren't cool, but its nice to have something new and different come along every now and then to help keep the creative juices flowing.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:25 PM
XXT-CRer

Not that they aren't cool, but its nice to have something new and different come along every now and then to help keep the creative juices flowing.
definitly.

i dont own one, but i must admit,,,,,,after seeing the same ol' classes for 20+ years now,,,,,,,the sc class has peaked my interest.

now i just need to find a track with an announcer like the one in this race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTsBG0FkIY
Old 09-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Zero369

ORIGINAL: HandyRacing

ORIGINAL: Zero369

Yah, I totally agree word for word! Racing has more to do with driver skill and proper setup rather than product. I will lean more towards the SC10 beings it has a multi champion heritage in its roots and is a proven racing design. Who knows though, maybe Traxxas made a real race truck this time that is an underdog but will prove to be too much for the SC10's and Traxxas will prevail, I mean look at the Revo and its racing class . Maybe the SC class will be like the Losi and AE debate for 1/10 Truck and Buggy ''What is better, Losi or AE?'' Now here we are, hearing the debate in the SC class ''What is better, Traxxas or AE?''... who would of thought in a million years that a debate would occur about what is better between Traxxas and AE. I say get either truck and learn to set it up and drive it, you can't go wrong. Then again, why not buy both, they are both dirt cheap!

Ray
I think so too about the driver. And I like to think the track is the great equalizer.

Our local track is running an SC Open class this winter, all the makings of a great program. Should be a hoot.

Thanks for checking us out.
Totally! The track! Some people run better on certain types of terrain and track layout than others... I totally agree .

Here is a video worth taking a look at also, about he VS's debate... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW6Z0zdZ7YU

Ray
Old 09-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Skunkworx

I also agree with the driver being the #1 difference. However, if you were to pull each car out of the box, slap a battery in it and have a go, the SC10 would definately stomp all over a Slash. The reason I say that is even though they're both 'uncontrolable' 2WD's, the SC10 is pretty much point and shoot straight out the package. I mean zero setup and it'll rip around the corners like they're not even there. Take a Slash down the road and you have to tinker with it to get it lined up with the jumps. It has a much squishier feel to it and you have to fight the wandering effect that the steering setup inherently has in it. Now once you stat getting used to that stuff, it would definately come down to the driver because you canpredict it a little better.There's a couple guys that can launch the snot out of their brand-spankin new Slash's (they just bought them yesterday as a matter of fact), and I was lucky to keep it on the wheels long enough to actually catch the lip and get it airborne. My SC10 on the other hand, was getting ooh's and aah's on the first lap because it jumped and handled so nice (and that was even coming from some pretty seasoned Slash drivers).

All-in-all, the Slash should be stomping the guts out of any SC10 driver because they've been out for almost a year longer than all of the other manufacturers combined. It would come as no surprise (to me at least)if the Slash's were winning the most, and it would be a downright shame if a Slash lost BECAUSE they have such a big jump-start. Once the SC10 guys start evening out the experience levels as the Slash guys, we would definately start to see which one tends to be a better design (although it would be tough to argue with AE's racing pedigree to begin with).

Funny thing is that the "mine is better than your's" arguments will never really come to an end.Sometimes certain manufacturers get the good label (ie-Mugen, Losi, AE, Ofna)others have to fight the underdog status (ie-Duratrax or XTM). But in the end, it's all about being proud of what you like and own. It's all about the fun. As long as people keep fun the #1 point, it's all good!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 PM
HandyRacing

ORIGINAL: Skunkworx
But in the end, it's all about being proud of what you like and own. It's all about the fun. As long as people keep fun the #1 point, it's all good!
Exactly, and in all honsty there is no right answer. It boils down to who is doing how well on any given day, and who gets the breaks. But it is interesting that different folks can share about different aspects of the various options.

Thanks for helping hash it all out.