Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash 4WD. Getting one for sure!

Old 10-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slash 4WD. Getting one for sure!

ORIGINAL: 48chebbie

i know. the manufacturers have it dead wrong. since there is virtually no market for realistic,correct-looking scale r/c cars and trucks....(can you smell the sarcasim??) i just don't know what these people are thinking.lol
seriously,the main reason they built the slash and others like it is to give people a realistic race truck that is as close to the real thing as possible. also,none of them handle the greatest,none are the fastest thing out there. thats where,and try and stay with me here..........DRIVER SKILL comes in. if you can't drive one of these trucks,or having to learn some actual skills is too much trouble,than by all means look elsewhere.
i mean really,if you have a truck that has the utmost in ultimate handling.speed,etc. what fun is that to drive??? might as well be racing slot cars. seriously,these trucks require a pretty fair amount of driving.
i get so tickled at guys that show up at the track with these outlandishedly powered,and overkilled set-ups and can't figure out why they can't win a race. they think because they have the fastest truck on the track,they ought to win........wrong.lol. my advice,get a stadium truck,or buggy,etc. or whatever you like and go have fun with it.
I never said I had a problem with the SC trucks. I think it's a great concept, it's just not for me. I've never been a racer nor do I ever plan to be. My fun in this hobby is bashing with my buddies and tearing arround a construction site. If SC racing is your thing, this truck will open up a whole new aspect. For me, the chassis design and TRXs reputation of parts compatability will allow me to build what I want.

-JB
Old 10-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Access

seriously,the main reason they built the slash and others like it is to give people a realistic race truck that is as close to the real thing as possible. also,none of them handle the greatest,none are the fastest thing out there. thats where,and try and stay with me here..........DRIVER SKILL comes in. if you can't drive one of these trucks,or having to learn some actual skills is too much trouble,than by all means look elsewhere.
i mean really,if you have a truck that has the utmost in ultimate handling.speed,etc. what fun is that to drive??? might as well be racing slot cars.
On the realism thing, 5-minute mains? 'Floaty' jumps and in-the-air handling? (real trucks don't behave like this in the air, nor do they jump anywhere as high on a scale factor) Crashing your truck in a way that would decimate a real-life equivelent... only to have a zentran-size 'turn marshal' pick it up, undamaged, and nicely put it back onto the track for you, with only several seconds lost? If you want an honest, realistic mimicry of actual truck racing you'd have to ditch the lexan bodies, you'd have to get rid of the turn marshalling and you'd have to have referees that call people out when their truck has taken what should be irrecoverable damage. Not the mention the differing perspective (1st-person driver rather than 3rd-person controller). If you think RC racing is anything like the 'real thing', I think you are chasing a false dream.

I know your point that there is a market for this type of thing, but I would rather see it as a variant of an existing design rather than a new conceptual platform. The slash did not pre-empt the rustler, 'pede, or bandit (all open-wheel, unrealistically handling, non-scale models), but now the 4wd truck of this size and concept (shaft driven, minimalist-integrated drivetrain, etc.) is making sacrifices for the sake of 'scale'.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Redvanmafia

you guys are crazy, im getting one
Old 10-09-2009, 06:09 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: Access

the slash (2wd and 4wd),sc10,etc. are designed to mimic the real CORR race trucks. their handling and bumper to bumper white knuckle racing characteristics. not an all-out X-games thrill show ride. i am sure if you ask nicely,traxxas,AE,losi or somebody will be glad to build alot of you
I guess this is my exact point, why make a rc truck that is designed to mimic a full-scale equivelent. Why not instead design it from the ground up to give the absolute best in terms of handling and performance. We're dealing with vehicles of a different size, we're dealing with different meteriels and different basic designs that are nothing like the real-life equivelent. People like me don't care if it's ugly, we will always choose function over form. I'm not talking about extreme speed as much as handling and performance. What we are basically looking at is a platform that has the wheelbase of a buggy, tires and toughness of a truck, and a higher CG. Maybe I'm alone here, at the end of the day it's an opinion / tradeoff thing so it's not really worth arguing too much over.
If you dont get it, you never will. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, however the slash and the "slash class" at the tracks I visit are as big or bigger than any other. Its cheap, easy, and fun. Anyone from a complete newbie to a seasoned pro can drive a slash and run it and have a blast and break nothing.

There is something to be said for cheap, durable, and fun trucks. They may not handle as well as a ST or jump as well, but they sure as hell a lot of fun to drive and race. And when its all said and done, fun is the main thing, not turning the absolute fastest times.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Lurp06x

NOT to get off topic here but how many threads are there on the 4wd slash? could we keep it down to one please? it gets old jumping back an forth from thread to thread just to hear what everybody thinks of it. theres this one. the DAMNIT!!! one an then the official slash 4wd. which is it?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:34 PM
R/C Lightweight

i mean really,if you have a truck that has the utmost in ultimate handling.speed,etc. what fun is that to drive??? might as well be racing slot cars.
On the realism thing, 5-minute mains? 'Floaty' jumps and in-the-air handling? (real trucks don't behave like this in the air, nor do they jump anywhere as high on a scale factor) Crashing your truck in a way that would decimate a real-life equivelent... only to have a zentran-size 'turn marshal' pick it up, undamaged, and nicely put it back onto the track for you, with only several seconds lost? If you want an honest, realistic mimicry of actual truck racing you'd have to ditch the lexan bodies, you'd have to get rid of the turn marshalling and you'd have to have referees that call people out when their truck has taken what should be irrecoverable damage. Not the mention the differing perspective (1st-person driver rather than 3rd-person controller). If you think RC racing is anything like the 'real thing', I think you are chasing a false dream.

I know your point that there is a market for this type of thing, but I would rather see it as a variant of an existing design rather than a new conceptual platform. The slash did not pre-empt the rustler, 'pede, or bandit (all open-wheel, unrealistically handling, non-scale models), but now the 4wd truck of this size and concept (shaft driven, minimalist-integrated drivetrain, etc.) is making sacrifices for the sake of 'scale'.
I'm an avid TORC and LOORS fan. There is nothing currently on the market that simulates in more realism the off road racing experience. If you've ever watched a real race, you'd see that when a truck is on it's lid, a wrecker comes to turn it right side up, the driver re-fires the truck and is right back in it. The real deal takes one hell of a beating, and it takes a lot to knock a truck out of a race for mechanical issues/ breakage. The in flight characteristics are actually pretty close to the real trucks. The fender bangin', slip-slidin' style of racing is also well carried over into RC. They make break-away bodies that help the simulation of body panels coming off during contact. Give credit where credit is do. Don't trash talk a class for the sake of your personal preferences. If you don't like SCT class racing in RC there are plenty of other options. I understand that everyones entitled to a unique perspective. Some people just need to realize that nobody's forcing SC trucks on anyone. Buy what you like, and leave it at that.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:56 PM
flat6
My Feedback: (5)

Im definitely getting one. ON a side note if anyone wants a vxl brushless 1/10th 2 wd slash, mine is for sale lol.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

the slash (2wd and 4wd),sc10,etc. are designed to mimic the real CORR race trucks. their handling and bumper to bumper white knuckle racing characteristics. not an all-out X-games thrill show ride. i am sure if you ask nicely,traxxas,AE,losi or somebody will be glad to build alot of you
I guess this is my exact point, why make a rc truck that is designed to mimic a full-scale equivelent. Why not instead design it from the ground up to give the absolute best in terms of handling and performance. We're dealing with vehicles of a different size, we're dealing with different meteriels and different basic designs that are nothing like the real-life equivelent. People like me don't care if it's ugly, we will always choose function over form. I'm not talking about extreme speed as much as handling and performance. What we are basically looking at is a platform that has the wheelbase of a buggy, tires and toughness of a truck, and a higher CG. Maybe I'm alone here, at the end of the day it's an opinion / tradeoff thing so it's not really worth arguing too much over.
If you dont get it, you never will. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, however the slash and the ''slash class'' at the tracks I visit are as big or bigger than any other. Its cheap, easy, and fun. Anyone from a complete newbie to a seasoned pro can drive a slash and run it and have a blast and break nothing.

There is something to be said for cheap, durable, and fun trucks. They may not handle as well as a ST or jump as well, but they sure as hell a lot of fun to drive and race. And when its all said and done, fun is the main thing, not turning the absolute fastest times.
I can see it being the biggest class, most of the time there is 3 seperate heats of slash at my track,
sometimes a C-Main it can get so huge. I've never been in the C-main most of the time I qualify enough to make the A-main.
Tonight we had 4 heats of the slash on the oval. 5 trucks in each heat. Didnt have a C-main tonight just a B and A.
People are now figuring out how to set up a slash for oval racing, lowering the shocks, lowering the body, all kinds of neat things.
Running a touring car bumper on the front instead of the stock slash bumper, makes the truck look different.
Being bumper to bumper on the oval is nothing like I have ever experinced before, ive seen some nasty crashes, most of the time people dont break anything, but thier are a few that break parts, but it would have to be a good hit to break a slash.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 AM
MegaDeth859

48chebbie and r/c lightweight have hit this thread right on the nose by trying to educate the forum bashers, HATERS, and all other NEGATIVE people. This thread was started by someone wanting an SC truck. What we as R/C enthusiasts should do, is encourage his decision by pointing out the strong points to the SC class vehicles. Let's not talk buggies, Monster Trucks, Stadium Truck, truggies, or street cars. There's other places in this forum to talk about those classes. I don't own an SC truck myself, but I've been researching what they're all about and I like what I see, so maybe I'll have one sitting under my Christmas tree this December.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Redvanmafia

all these arguers are goofs, with to much time on there hands, 4X4 slash is a Hit,
Old 10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
soul_fly1318

lol i w u man so lame got to wine about everything i lov traxxas lots upgrade part
Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 PM
monsterbrad

As I was sitting here reading all this forum so far there is one thing for sure that i can come up with.
All you people that can't drive a 2wd slash and you all know who you are the ones that can't make it a lap with out getting help
The 4wd will make life easier for ya but you still need to learn how to drive
this truck is a hit you know it will be and all the others will follow just give it a few months.
THis hobby is outa control right now with monkey see monkey do [:@]
Look at the last decade
Traxxas pioners stuff and the rest follow in its foot steps
then we all fight like old women over traxas hop ups
losi
associated
Mugen
Kyosho
HPI
but this is what keeps all of us going year after year
Old 10-12-2009, 12:16 AM
gelbschnee

Yes, do you guys remember when the T-maxx came out? they started the whole monster truck craze.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 AM
monsterbrad

My point recognized thank you
Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 AM
tw-rc
My Feedback: (33)

Im getting one as soon as they hit the shelf. These are going to be awsome. Yea you short course haters need to go to a damn forum you like and stay out of these. Yea maybe the monster mamba is going to be over kill but it will sure be fun to try. I have had a slash and sc10 as far as durable that whould be the slash by far. Traxxas is awsome and more durable than a lot.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Redvanmafia

the 4x4 slash is a wicked platform, i can see some sick after market mod's for it, and infinite customization. im not sure why people would hate this is awesome if you want something 4WD but dont have the cash for a MT, im psyched for it,
Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 AM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

the 4x4 slash is a wicked platform, i can see some sick after market mod's for it, and infinite customization. im not sure why people would hate this is awesome if you want something 4WD but dont have the cash for a MT, im psyched for it,
The Slash 1/16VXL cost about $370 here in Toronto, The 1/10 Slash 4X4 VXL......$500CAD???
Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Redvanmafia

But thats a 1:16TH, thats smaller obviously, sure thats good if you wanted that also another traxxas product, i wanted to pick up a slash before but that now this, i'll wait it out hopefully its out by christmas

Ps, i like seeing other ontarioians around here, 370 for the mini e-revo?, does it come with batterys,
Old 10-12-2009, 11:47 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: samguan

The Slash 1/16VXL cost about $370 here in Toronto, The 1/10 Slash 4X4 VXL......$500CAD???
its cheaper to order from the states,Mine cost $280 shipped from tower with two batteries and the series connector.Oh and plus Duty fees it was like 320 or so.But the store owner here in ontario has to make money too,hence the mark up.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Redvanmafia

exactly, Thanks guys the mini e-revo looks fun, but i like the size of the slash, one of my buddys will pick one up with me, we were gonna get some races going possibly get some more friends in on it, racing them side by side bumping and crashing looks sweet
Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Lilredmachine

But thats a 1:16TH, thats smaller obviously, sure thats good if you wanted that also another traxxas product, i wanted to pick up a slash before but that now this, i'll wait it out hopefully its out by christmas

Ps, i like seeing other ontarioians around here, 370 for the mini e-revo?, does it come with batterys,

Smaller doesn't usually mean cheaper. Not when you are talking about an advanced truck like a mini-revo.

I'm in the same boat. Companies shouldn't waste time building trucks that look and perform like the real thing, because the real things don't perform anywhere near as well for their size as our RCs do. Take a Slash 4x4 for example. Put an MMM in it and it will peak over 3hp. Even if the truck weighs 7lb it will have a 1000bhp/ton power to weight ratio. Nothing else that runs offroad has that sort of power to weight. Maybe some bikes/snowmobiles/whatever if you don't include the rider. They will jump distances and heights that would have full size trucks busting dampers and axles on landing, even if you don't scale them up.

Leave the toy manufacturers to produce things that look and perform like the full size vehicles. I'll take cutting edge performance and design ta.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:32 PM
fusebmx13

This new slash was done right. If you just look at it, everything has been re designed. They didn't cut corners this time. The only things that I can see that are the same as the regular traxxas 2wd trucks is the electronics. Same vxl, servo, and receiver. I personally thing it will be one tough fun truck. I'm waiting a while to get one though. However I can guarantee that IF I do end up with out. It will have a MMM with 6s . I'm not joking, I have 6s and a MMM system sitting on my bench right now collecting dust.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: MegaDeth859
decision by pointing out the strong points to the SC class vehicles. Let's not talk buggies, Monster Trucks, Stadium Truck, truggies, or street cars. There's other places in this forum to talk about those classes. I don't own an SC truck myself, but I've been researching what they're all about and I like what I see, so maybe I'll have one sitting under my Christmas tree this December.
The problem with this line of thought is that there is no choice here, if you want the latest design (shaft driven, minimalist transmission, 4x4 truck) being told "You WILL get a SC truck" by the manufacturer, no ifs, ands, or buts. You're having a SC truck design forced down your throat, whether you like it or not. This is a big advancement over the old 4wd designs so why should it only be available with SC truck form? Can you imagine the outrage if, for instance, Microsoft were to come along and say you can ONLY upgrade to Windows 7 if you use Internet Explorer exclusively as your browser? Or if the government were to came along and say you can only own a gun if you are a registered republican, oh and by the way, you can only get free healthcare if you are a registered democrat? The manufacturer is unfairly coupling or leveraging it's revolutionary transmission and other advancements with a specific type of truck, to push itself further into increased dominance of the club racing scene, and that's just unfair. It's time for consumers to stand up and do something about it. Um, yeah Seriously I'm not losing any sleep over this one, but I hope that at least illustrates the point we're trying to make.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 PM
R/C Lightweight

ORIGINAL: MegaDeth859
decision by pointing out the strong points to the SC class vehicles. Let's not talk buggies, Monster Trucks, Stadium Truck, truggies, or street cars. There's other places in this forum to talk about those classes. I don't own an SC truck myself, but I've been researching what they're all about and I like what I see, so maybe I'll have one sitting under my Christmas tree this December.
The problem with this line of thought is that there is no choice here, if you want the latest design (shaft driven, minimalist transmission, 4x4 truck) being told ''You WILL get a SC truck'' by the manufacturer, no ifs, ands, or buts. You're having a SC truck design forced down your throat, whether you like it or not. This is a big advancement over the old 4wd designs so why should it only be available with SC truck form? Can you imagine the outrage if, for instance, Microsoft were to come along and say you can ONLY upgrade to Windows 7 if you use Internet Explorer exclusively as your browser? Or if the government were to came along and say you can only own a gun if you are a registered republican, oh and by the way, you can only get free healthcare if you are a registered democrat? The manufacturer is unfairly coupling or leveraging it's revolutionary transmission and other advancements with a specific type of truck, to push itself further into increased dominance of the club racing scene, and that's just unfair. It's time for consumers to stand up and do something about it. Um, yeah Seriously I'm not losing any sleep over this one, but I hope that at least illustrates the point we're trying to make.
Access, I understand the point you're trying to make. However, Traxxas is going to build whatever they will sell the most of, and currently, it's SC trucks. They aren't "forcing" anyone to purchase anything. We, as RC enthusiasts, need to be patient and voice our opinions in ways that might actually encourage manufacturers to broaden their horizons, but it must be done in a way that is mature and convincing. I would absolutely love a Stampede 4x4, and perhaps they will embark on that endeavor at some point in time, but who knows. I cannot fault Traxxas for making their first "single battery 1/10 4wd" a Slash, due to it's immense popularity that we are currrently seeing. If you or I owned Traxxas we would've done the same thing for the sake of profit alone. Anyone who says otherwise is blowin' smoke. Give it a little time, and I think you'll see other manufacturers responding to the 4x4 Slash both in SC trucks and in other variations, as long as it takes off. There are many possibilities if the sales forecast looks promising.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM
rustlerduster

the day this puppy comes out im going and picking one up

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.