Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Mamba 5700 or VXL Waterproof

Old 11-04-2009, 10:26 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mamba 5700 or VXL Waterproof

Hello Everyone,

I've been an RC enthusiast for the past three years, and ever since year one I have owned a Traxxas Ruslter XL5. Throughout the years, I have had periods where I never drive my trucks... due to either not having enough money to repair them, or just moving onto something else for a while. Fortunately, I'm back at that point where I really want to get my Rusty going again and start bashing. The only problem is, last winter I managed to water damage my truck by neglecting to clean it up after a snow bash (don't ask why, I was just stupid..).

Anyways, I know have to decide on a new BL system. I have narrowed it down to two choices, and although one seems like the obvious choice due to its better ability, the other also has some things that I like. I would like you to help me narrow it down to one or the other by posting what you think would fit me best out of the Mamba 5700 or the Waterproof VXL system...

[ul][*] I am mostly a basher, I never raced so far.. and I don't plan to with this truck (considering it has.. no ability to race)[*] I DID wrewen the last system by playing in the snow.. I don't want that to happen again, however I still want some options with this thing...[*] I want something that will work.. and last for a long time. This way I don't have to be worried about waiting to save more money and leaving RC
[/ul]

What do you think? I know the Mamba has more options.. but in my case the VXL's waterproof feature might outweigh the accessibility of the Mamba...

Post your opinions!
Thanks!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Mamba 5700 or VXL Waterproof

i'd go mamba 5700 or SW 4600 they're way better setups imo, for waterproffing dont be an idiot with snow, run in it, have your fun, keep your esc temps down meaning gear low, so you dont melt the snow, causing a short, and when your done get as much snow off as you can with a good shake then i just put mine upsidne down and let it dry off, i have yet to fry an ESC, and i've had entire chassies coated with 1/2in of snow, and for the record sensorless motors are waterproof, its the esc you gotta worry about. also castle sprays all thier stuff with a silicone protective spray to prevent shorts and such from water/corrosion, or protect against them

my vote is the castle system

the lug
Old 11-04-2009, 10:44 PM
mini-dude

ORIGINAL: VXL ENCHILADA
[ul][*] I DID wrewen the last system by playing in the snow.. I don't want that to happen again, however I still want some options with this thing...[*] I want something that will work.. and last for a long time. This way I don't have to be worried about waiting to save more money and leaving RC
[/ul]

What do you think? I know the Mamba has more options.. but in my case the VXL's waterproof feature might outweigh the accessibility of the Mamba...
First off NOTHING is actually "waterproof" but instead water-resistant. So while running it through a puddle or dropping it into the pool, or running it in snow, won't hurt it - it still needs to be cleaned up and "de-watered/snowed" once you're done. Otherwise, most of the same parts that froze up before in the snow, will do it again.

It's all about maintaining your stuff, so it works when you feel like running it - and not abusing/neglecting it, so it works when you feel like running it ......... catching a theme here?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:48 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VXL esc with the castle 4600..............................more than adequate for "bashing"
Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the good responses and opinions. It seems that mostly everyone leans towards the castle system.. so I will most likely go in that direction. Because I'm tight on money, I'm thinking of the SW as a good choice...

Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 AM
VincenzoSabatini

The MM will die in the snow, so if you really just want to bash, the VXL is a good choice. In all honesty, its not the best quality motor/esc out there, but it really is completely waterproof (and yes, thats from experience. The first day I had mine I submereged it in a puddle of muddy water 3 inches taller then the slash).
Old 11-05-2009, 07:04 AM
VXL ENCHILADA

@VincenzoSabatini:

Yeah, I agree that the VXL is a great system for bashing. Although it's very simple, it does do the job. The only reason that I decided on taking the MM over the VXL is that I had the VXL last time, and I wanted to try the MM out. I will just have to be careful and keep it out of the snow and the water.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Redvanmafia

You'll learn after you have to pay for it out of your own pocket, that puddles and snow kill electronics. and at 200bucks a brushless system there not cheap
Old 11-05-2009, 04:32 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

You'll learn after you have to pay for it out of your own pocket, that puddles and snow kill electronics. and at 200bucks a brushless system there not cheap
I learned that this time...

I paid for the VXL system out of my own pocket as well. I'm well aware of how expensive things get in the RC world.. I have purchased everything I own for myself and I'm only 13. I know i'm stupid for neglecting to clean the electronics out after that run, but for some reason it flew right over me.

Oh well, this time i'll make it last. I don't plan on running in any snow or puddles with the truck this time around.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:57 PM
rebuilder

Based on your verbage and the percieved deameanor of how you write and present yourself, you are most likely a very intelligent young man. I commend you for purchasing your own equipment, i hope you have much success and joy from your MM!!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

ORIGINAL: rebuilder

Based on your verbage and the percieved deameanor of how you write and present yourself, you are most likely a very intelligent young man. I commend you for purchasing your own equipment, i hope you have much success and joy from your MM!!
Thank you very much!

I can't wait to get the rusty back up and running. I'm thinking of ordering on Saturday, so I'll make my final decision on which castle system I'm going to pick up by then.

Thanks again
Old 11-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Casper06

You could do two things either water proof your ESC on your own and get a MM/SW or buy the Traxxas ESC and be done with it. There are plenty of videos on youtube about water proofing your electrics but you do it at your own risk. I have no idea how well a Castle motor holds up to water but the VXL motor is also water proof. Personally we don't get snow in the winter but we do get rain so I setup my SC10 as my water proof car for mud and puddles with a VXL setup. If I were you I would run the VXL system for now and save for a MM Pro ESC to couple with your VXL motor and run it on 3s when spring comes. You could run it on 3s with the VXL setup but the Castle ESC's are better. Don't forget to stick your RX in a balloon as well as your batteries if you are running LiPO. Most servos can take being in water without much else because they are pretty well sealed except for the joint where you could apply grease to seal it up some.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:18 AM
VXL ENCHILADA

ORIGINAL: Casper06

You could do two things either water proof your ESC on your own and get a MM/SW or buy the Traxxas ESC and be done with it. There are plenty of videos on youtube about water proofing your electrics but you do it at your own risk. I have no idea how well a Castle motor holds up to water but the VXL motor is also water proof. Personally we don't get snow in the winter but we do get rain so I setup my SC10 as my water proof car for mud and puddles with a VXL setup. If I were you I would run the VXL system for now and save for a MM Pro ESC to couple with your VXL motor and run it on 3s when spring comes. You could run it on 3s with the VXL setup but the Castle ESC's are better. Don't forget to stick your RX in a balloon as well as your batteries if you are running LiPO. Most servos can take being in water without much else because they are pretty well sealed except for the joint where you could apply grease to seal it up some.
Thanks for the tips.

I'd like to let you know, I'm a pretty bad decision maker sometimes when it comes to RC. Not because I choose bad products, because I always have a few that I consider, and then I can never decide which to get. Last night, I took into consideration the pros and cons of the MM 5700, SW 4600, and VXL. Putting aside the opinions of others, it was as simple as this: the MM 5700 was most expensive, and it had the most features. The SW 4600 was least expensive, and offered the least features. And, the VXL was right in the middle.

This made me wonder if I should really be getting the VXL or not. Then I decided that it would be better for me to choose the VXL over the others because it fit into my budget, it is waterproof, and I already have batteries with trx connectors. So, for now that's my final choice, but you never know what I might choose next when it comes to me.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:48 AM
rebuilder

You should consider getting the 3500kv VXL motor then as well...............its a very good motor, lots of "torque".

Found it for $158, http://www.rcboca.com/velineon-brush...aterproof.html
Old 11-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Brainanator

wait, why does the SW have the least features?

you can't hook the VXL up to a computer for programing like the SW.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:22 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

You should consider getting the 3500kv VXL motor then as well...............its a very good motor, lots of ''torque''.

Found it for $158, http://www.rcboca.com/velineon-brush...aterproof.html
I thought that the VXL waterproof system came with the 3500kv motor already? I found it on tower hobbies for $159 here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXWM5&P=ML

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

wait, why does the SW have the least features?

you can't hook the VXL up to a computer for programing like the SW.
Sorry. I posted that early in the morning, and I didn't really explain my opinions. By saying "least features" in that statement, I was wrong. What I meant by "least features" was it was the cheapest, and it also had some things that I wouldn't use. Although having a castle link is a great thing, it's also a little too much for me with this truck. Like I said, i'm just a plain old basher; i don't race at all. Thus having all of that tweakability might just cause problems for me. That's one of the main reasons why I decided on the VXL (and I'm also already familiar with it).

Sorry for the confusion....
Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Brainanator

no problem bud, just wanted to make sure you got your facts straight

I'm sure the VXL system is outstanding.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:20 PM
rebuilder

Yes you can get the VXL as a combo...............I thought there was discussion of "mix and match", you should just get the VXL system then.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Yes you can get the VXL as a combo...............I thought there was discussion of ''mix and match'', you should just get the VXL system then.
Yeah that's what I'll be ordering.

Thanks for all the help every body!