Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Sidewinder with lipo

Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Littl3TuffGuy13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sidewinder with lipo

I was curious would 5000mah 30c be over kill because it gives 150amps? What is the sidewinder rated up to for amps.
Also when using a charger that does up to 4s, can i charge 2 2s2p packs? or would it not like it because its 4 cells. And when having 2s2p does that give you the same amps as 2s1p with the same capacity

For example:
A 2s1p 5000mah 30c = X amount of amps
A 2s2p 5000mah 30c = X amount of amps

Would they give the same amps?

Running velineon/sidewinder.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Sidewinder with lipo

no it wouldn't the sidewinder is rated at 70A or so, but that is continous, just like the MM is rated at 100A but it can take 1000A burst or some crazy number like that, would it be overkill probally not, you'll see less voltage drop under load, giving you better performance, my 20C 5k is usally a little warm 80F at max on my SW 4600 after 30 min of hard running so you wont' have to worry about taxing the batt.

as for charging its the S number that counts, if your charger is rated at 4s than you can charge a 2s50P, but as long as the 2s is there you'll be fine, balancing idk about that,

the lug
Old 11-06-2009, 12:40 AM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lug hit it..................sidewinders are rated right at 70a....................the 5000 mah 30c batts will run nice and coooooool!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

As long as the battery physically fits in the car and weight/bulk is not a problem(ie. sanctioned racing), you can never have TOO MUCH capacity/discharge rate. You'll just have extra headroom. As stated, it's the "S" number that matters for charging, not the "P" number. FWIW, I think there is not much reason to go to a 2S2P setup over a 2S1P setup these days. The more cells you have, the greater potential for imbalance among them.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 PM
CarGuy7a

Most cases you'll see 2s2p when you want higher mah's in the pack such at 8000mah packs. They do this to gain mah's and not voltage. It's rare you'll see a 2s2p lipo pack with low mah.

Also a 2s2p pack will have 4 cells where as a 2s1p pack will have 2. The way to figure cell count is to multiply the first number by the second. 2s2p means 2 series of 2 parallels which means 4 cells.

It's the same with 3s packs. 3s1p will have 3 cells while a 3s2p will have 6 cells.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:24 PM
rebuilder

ORIGINAL: CarGuy7a

Most cases you'll see 2s2p when you want higher mah's in the pack such at 8000mah packs. They do this to gain mah's and not voltage. It's rare you'll see a 2s2p lipo pack with low mah.

Also a 2s2p pack will have 4 cells where as a 2s1p pack will have 2. The way to figure cell count is to multiply the first number by the second. 2s2p means 2 series of 2 parallels which means 4 cells.

It's the same with 3s packs. 3s1p will have 3 cells while a 3s2p will have 6 cells.
To go one step further he needs to be aware that because you have 2s2p = 4 cells, its still the voltage of the "2s" designation for voltage output:

2s2p = 7.4v
2s1p = 7.4v etc.............
Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: rebuilder
To go one step further he needs to be aware that because you have 2s2p = 4 cells, its still the voltage of the ''2s'' designation for voltage output:

2s2p = 7.4v
2s1p = 7.4v etc.............
ORIGINAL : CarGuy7a
They do this to gain mah's and not voltage.
If you would have read my post I said exactly the same thing.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Snipin_Willy

I'd like to expand on what was earlier stated. Your ESC will only try to push as much current that the motor is trying to draw. Battery capability doesn't much to do with that as long as you have head room because your battery is only a supplier of power, it wont push it.

Motor draws current.
ESC and battery provide.

If you motor is too big or you are gear ratio is too high it will pull more current than you ESC can handle and/or battery can supply. Then your ESC thermals or your battery becomes damaged.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 PM
rebuilder

I did read your post, hence the reply to your post, I'm just trying to make him aware of that because:

"The way to figure cell count is to multiply the first number by the second. 2s2p means 2 series of 2 parallels which means 4 cells."

He could think "4 cells" is 3.7 x 4. When someone hears its a "4 cell" 14.8v usually pops into their head, thats all i meant. And i said it for his benefit, just in the small chance that he may not have understood it..........and he very well may ....making sure shouldnt be an issue, i wasnt trying to correct you, i was adding to it.