Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Buggy guide

Old 11-06-2009, 02:44 PM
luketheluke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buggy guide

Hey I was wondering if anyone could reccomend me a nice electric buggy? with a budget of around 200$ not for racing but messing around in the woods, in the garden and little jumps etc

i was looking at the tamiya hornet re release?what do you guys think?any recomendations?

thanks!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:48 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Buggy guide

The hornet is an awesome fun car but it was designed in the early 80's and that design is seriously out dated. If you are looking for a modern buggy to run and have fun with let me suggest the Traxxas Bandit. It's super tough, everyone has parts for it and it's cheap ready to run. One other nice thing about the bandit is you can convert it to a rustler if you ever decide you want a stadium truck.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:01 PM
J.D.T

tamiya df 02 is a great little car with lots of potential to build it up later on and 4wd is always a better basher, shaft drive, metal gear diffs, comes with a silver can and basic Esc, around $115 to $130 US depending on what kit you get, look for Gravel Hound, Plasma Edge and Rising Storm they all use the same chassis, GH and PE share the same body with just different sticker pack, the RS body is different.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: luketheluke

Hey I was wondering if anyone could reccomend me a nice electric buggy? with a budget of around 200$ not for racing but messing around in the woods, in the garden and little jumps etc

i was looking at the tamiya hornet re release? what do you guys think? any recomendations?

thanks!
If you want something bashing around in the woods you should take a look at the Traxxas Stampede. They are very durable and most LHS carry parts for them.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 PM
kshoopman

I bought a traxxas bandit and it's a great little buggy. tower Hobbies has them for 169.00 with a 7 cell battery included.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for the df-02.

its a very capable buggy in stock form and is a blast to run

Old 11-06-2009, 04:07 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: john01374

The hornet is an awesome fun car but it was designed in the early 80's and that design is seriously out dated. If you are looking for a modern buggy to run and have fun with let me suggest the Traxxas Bandit. It's super tough, everyone has parts for it and it's cheap ready to run. One other nice thing about the bandit is you can convert it to a rustler if you ever decide you want a stadium truck.
The Bandit, modern? Hardly. It's 14 years old. If you want a modern buggy, the df02 or df03 are the way to go. Tamiya has a bit more experience with buggies than Traxxas anyway.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:22 PM
luketheluke

hey all these replys are great

Ive been looking at videos and pictures of all the cars you guys reccomend

is the df02 series good for jumping?they seem out weighted with the batery on 1 side?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:27 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

hey all these replys are great

Ive been looking at videos and pictures of all the cars you guys reccomend

is the df02 series good for jumping? they seem out weighted with the batery on 1 side?
Sure it is.

Although the battery is on one side, it shouldn't affect the balance of the vehicle at all. Here's a video I found with some people jumping there df02's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlkiiZmt8dg

Good luck with your buggy!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:56 PM
luketheluke

whats the difference between df02 and df03?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:22 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

The DF-03 is the Tamiya Dark Impact. It comes with a slightly more "hopped up" setup, including oil dampers, adjustable suspension, and some other good things. The DF-02 is the Rising Storm. It is basically just a more "basic" version of the Dark Impact, without any of the extra aluminum parts and things.

If you look them both up online, you can find out which one is better in your application. For example, if you are planning on going brushless, I would recommend the DF-03 (because its already hopped up).

Hope that explains.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:56 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: john01374

The Bandit, modern? Hardly. It's 14 years old. If you want a modern buggy, the df02 or df03 are the way to go. Tamiya has a bit more experience with buggies than Traxxas anyway.

Very true I was comparing the bandit to the Hornet. Don't get me wrong. The Hornet is a classic old school running but by comparison the Bandit is a million times better and a great buggy for general bashing and all out toughness.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Sh1mmy

The question that needs to be asked is...
Do you want 2wd or 4wd?

Both are very different, both have different abilities.

I would go for the DF-02, I have seen countless videos of these things being dragged through hell and back only to ask for more (considering it is a 1/10th 4wd buggy).
I would not go for a DF-03, these from what I have read and understand are more for those who want a bit more performance, a bit more speed and handling.

On the other hand though, there are a few 2wd ones you could go for, such as the Bandit, XXX, B4 etc...
Old 11-08-2009, 02:03 AM
plasmaedge

DF-02 does jump a little bit to the side but it doesnt make a difference (to the eye).

It sure is a tough little buggy, i used to bash mine a lot (stopped for a while as am waiting for upgrades)I snapped a shock shaft

Old 11-08-2009, 02:05 AM
plasmaedge

ORIGINAL: VXL ENCHILADA

The DF-03 is the Tamiya Dark Impact. It comes with a slightly more "hopped up" setup, including oil dampers, adjustable suspension, and some other good things. The DF-02 is the Rising Storm. It is basically just a more "basic" version of the Dark Impact, without any of the extra aluminum parts and things.

If you look them both up online, you can find out which one is better in your application. For example, if you are planning on going brushless, I would recommend the DF-03 (because its already hopped up).

Hope that explains.

Umm the Df-02 comes with oil dampers too???????

Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 AM
plasmaedge

heres a vid i made showing my DF-02 jumping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQV7X7vHls8
Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 AM
luketheluke

Im going to ask another noob question, what does brushless mean? Also what do people think to the ansmann madrat?  http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=33535
Old 11-08-2009, 02:21 PM
The Mad Modder

Brushless motors, as the name suggest don't use brushes. They can be much faster, more powerful and energy efficient than a regular brushed motor. Only downside is that they cost more too.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:32 PM
rcslsafut

i have to vote for the b 4 . have a b3 great buggy fun to drive tuff little buggy