Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Going from 4wd to 2wd advices needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 AM
cool-joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Going from 4wd to 2wd advices needed

not sure what you're talking about
Old 12-09-2009, 11:26 AM
shannow

I'll take a pic a bit later when I'll come back from work in one or two hours.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:36 PM
shannow

There you can see where the dust went off the track . It's where there was contact so not the whole width at all just a band that is around 1/3 on the tyre surface (the wear doesn't even go to one off the extremity off the tyre).
Old 12-09-2009, 04:24 PM
cool-joe

Looks good, of course offroad tires are not flat across the tread - and my only point was that you want to wear the middle, as the outsides wear cornering.

But your front tires still look pretty straight up and down, maybe even positive camber and you really want to lay them in to the center of the car(canted to the inside) with negative 3 or 4 degrees of camber (to get better front wheel bite in the corners)..
Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: cool-joe

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Funny, I use more brakes in 4wd because running brakes that hit hard doesnt cause it to spin out as much as a 2wd. 4wd is much more direct. If you can drive a 2wd stadium truck or buggy, you can drive anything.
Maybe I didn't say it right, and maybe you misunderstood me.
I meant I use the brakes ''more often,'' not that I use more brakes. Because of the pushy nature of 2wd cars, I have found that you tend to need to use the brakes to help the car rotate through the corners.
Nothing a good setup can't change.

My 2wd's have much more steering than my 4wd's.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 PM
shannow

Thanks . I've setted the front at 4degrees now instead of 2 and the rear at 2 degrees .
Difficult to see on a photo as you have a perspective deformation .

Old 12-09-2009, 09:56 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front tires are definately your problem.
The spikes are the only things touching the floor.

You need to get either some foamies or on road tires (soft).

Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 AM
shannow

I can't find them in france Foamies and on road tyre are limited to 1/10 on road size they dont fit .
When I first tried this track I had some proline M3 which had more surface contact and in fact that was a problem because I simply didn't have the pressure to have any grip . The mini-spike did a much better job . I 've tried the mini pin and it is so-so compared top the minispikes ...
I was advised to get some staggered tyre to the front I will try that .
I think too that foam would be the best but I can't get it even from all websites I saw in france . I've got some 1/10 foam tyre laying aroung but they won't clear the wishbones for stearing .

thanks for the tip
Old 12-10-2009, 04:58 AM
shannow

The 10.5t is on it's way I might have better control over the car with more torque than speed .

I think I can try the on road foam tyre I have but I'll have to machine off a bit with my lathe to fit them . Anyway I'll try everything I can on for monday session .
Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
ace420

maybe try team losi taper pins red have u tried buddy grip or zipp gripp? is the car pushing drop 5wt in oil or try a softer front spring
that should help out.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM
cool-joe

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC
Nothing a good setup can't change.

My 2wd's have much more steering than my 4wd's.

ROFLMAO - I see you don't have a 4wd electric in your selection, nor do you have a 2wd gas car in it either.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 PM
cool-joe

ORIGINAL: shannow

Thanks . I've setted the front at 4degrees now instead of 2 and the rear at 2 degrees .
Difficult to see on a photo as you have a perspective deformation .
That looks good - plenty of front camber and the ride height looks about right, and the dogbones are level in the rear.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 PM
cool-joe

ORIGINAL: plasmaedge
The front tires are definately your problem.
The spikes are the only things touching the floor.

You need to get either some foamies or on road tires (soft).

I can't find them in france Foamies and on road tyre are limited to 1/10 on road size they dont fit .
When I first tried this track I had some proline M3 which had more surface contact and in fact that was a problem because I simply didn't have the pressure to have any grip . The mini-spike did a much better job . I 've tried the mini pin and it is so-so compared top the minispikes ...
I was advised to get some staggered tyre to the front I will try that .
I think too that foam would be the best but I can't get it even from all websites I saw in france . I've got some 1/10 foam tyre laying aroung but they won't clear the wishbones for stearing .

thanks for the tip

I agree, those monster pins are for soft loamy tracks - definately not for something likeyou're running indoors.

If you don't mind - what I'd suggest on your fronts is to take some clippers to the pins and nip them off. Run a smooth tire, it should be fine.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:21 AM
shannow

I really am not sure of this . The M3 tyre I had had a lot of surface contact and it was appaling in grip .
The front tyres you can see has actualy more grip than the rear (it has the same compound material ).
The problem is that the floor is a gymnasium floor so it has just that little dust that the guys left when they were playing basket or wathever and on the tyres it has a talcum powder effect on them. That dust stick really well on the wheels and then the wheel doesn't grip anything .
I'll give it a shot if I can .

thank you
Old 12-11-2009, 09:30 AM
cool-joe

I really am not sure of this . The M3 tyre I had had a lot of surface contact and it was appaling in grip .
The front tyres you can see has actualy more grip than the rear (it has the same compound material ).
The problem is that the floor is a gymnasium floor so it has just that little dust that the guys left when they were playing basket or wathever and on the tyres it has a talcum powder effect on them. That dust stick really well on the wheels and then the wheel doesn't grip anything .
I'll give it a shot if I can .

thank you

That's exactly why I wouldn't bother trying to run foam - and instead, on the front, would try and locate some sort of treaded street tire, or, as I said before, take a set of those monster pin tires and use some nippers to cut the pins off and just run a bald tire. It will give you the greatest surface contact AND it won't clog up with dust like foam.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 AM
shannow

I'll try it with the M3 tyres that came with my B44 . They have a lot of pins though ... I may finish it with sand paper to make it smooth .
Old 12-13-2009, 04:12 AM
plasmaedge

Look up this site and others similar and look at the offroad front buggy tires. There are a few tht would do the job for you.

http://www.prolineracing.com/catalog/Tires-37-1.html

Mabye the dirthawgs.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:15 AM
plasmaedge

I just had an idea. This will make your tyres look really rank but will probably work.

If you just took your tires off completely and ran a really soft, airated foam glued to your rims (e.g. the kind that you will find in foam pillows).
Old 12-13-2009, 04:20 AM
plasmaedge

Im jealous of how clean your car is due to running it inside only. Mine is covered with mud and dirt filled scratches.[:@]
Old 12-13-2009, 04:15 PM
shannow

Thanks for the idea . Do you think just gluing the inserts on the wheel would work as well ? (as they're vented foam )

I've resetted the car to a 2deg camber at the rear 0deg camber on front . no toe at the front either . And put back the 30deg caster at the front .

For this setting I have followed the secondth France champion on the exact same type of hall surface (+ a bit of carpet) .
Old 12-13-2009, 05:17 PM
plasmaedge

i guess that you could just glue your foams to your rims if you think that it will have grip enough.  I mean it cant hurt because if it doesnt work you could just always place your tires back on top and not worry.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 AM
shannow

True.

Unfortunaly my tyres didn't arrive today postman was late ... so I'll have to make do with what I have again tonight on the training ...

Now I have discovered something interesting on some 2wd buggies I've looked on the web .... They use ABS . So I've just tried to activate mine on the tiling in the living room and it has greatly enhanced the cornering control !
I have played a bit with it and discovered that on my 4pk I can set it so that on straights the ABS is off and the instant I touch the steering (0-100% of the course can be selected) the ABS comes on . And that too has really improved the "hard stop and turn" properly on the tiling !

Now I have to confirm the effect on the track tonight , I really hope It will make things easier .