Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

My Goodness..........Castle's BIG Monster!!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Redvanmafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Goodness..........Castle's BIG Monster!!

Yes it would
Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 AM
GravityJunkie

Here is what Castle lists as max voltages for all the motors:
[link]http://www.castlecreations.com/products/neu-castle_motors.html[/link]

For the rest of the arguing in this thread, read the RCM threads. Patrick has personally stated tons of info there. Stuff is covered in there like:
-They are quite similar consider that Steve Neu will be getting royalties on sales from these motors...
Old 12-30-2009, 01:44 AM
losifiend

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

By the way yfz, I can understand the inside of a brushless motor, and I understand the basic electronic theory of how they work. They are small three phase AC motors. If you're familiar with how industrial 3 phase induction motors work, it is very similar, except that these have stator windings and a magnetic rotor instead of a laminated steel rotor. The AC is provided electronically and manipulated by the speed control instead of being sinusoidal AC from the source.

I'm sure the only difference between the Neu-Castle motors and the equivalent Neu motors are in where they're produced. As we all know, it is much more difficult to maintain quality in China than here.
Actually these motor run on DC, unless there is an inverter in there some where in the ESC

It would be great to try this in a 5B on 8S. I just hope the shaft is strong enough on these to not shear off from the torque which it will generate.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 AM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I half-way think it could handle 8s.............although it would be an expensive test if wrong................rpms on 8s would be less then the 2200 MM on 6s and they have the same bearings.........................hmmm
Old 12-30-2009, 01:56 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: rebuilder

I half-way think it could handle 8s.............although it would be an expensive test if wrong................rpms on 8s would be less then the 2200 MM on 6s and they have the same bearings.........................hmmm
Keep in mind that it likely has a larger diameter rotor, which increases cetrifugal forces at a given RPM. It may not be rated at the same max RPM as the 2200KV.

Also, on 8S, 60 amps is 2000 watts. I would check into the maximum watt rating before making any plans to run this on 8S.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:10 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah........i kinds figured the rotor was a bit beefy...................i guess one could just gear it up a tad for speed and torque. It would be a hoss in a boat on 6s..................
Old 12-31-2009, 04:45 PM
JPKII

ORIGINAL: losifiend

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

By the way yfz, I can understand the inside of a brushless motor, and I understand the basic electronic theory of how they work. They are small three phase AC motors. If you're familiar with how industrial 3 phase induction motors work, it is very similar, except that these have stator windings and a magnetic rotor instead of a laminated steel rotor. The AC is provided electronically and manipulated by the speed control instead of being sinusoidal AC from the source.

I'm sure the only difference between the Neu-Castle motors and the equivalent Neu motors are in where they're produced. As we all know, it is much more difficult to maintain quality in China than here.
Actually these motor run on DC, unless there is an inverter in there some where in the ESC

It would be great to try this in a 5B on 8S. I just hope the shaft is strong enough on these to not shear off from the torque which it will generate.
Technically they use pulse width modulation similar to any VFD used in industry. In a VFD you'll have a rectifier to convert the three phase AC to DC and then an inverter (IGBT's) to "chop" it back up and make a sort of sinusoidal output. It's more of a square wave but you get the picture. The ESC's are the same concept except, obviously, instead of having a rectifier on the front end we just feed it with a battery and the IGBT's invert it to a PWM signal.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: JPKII
Technically they use pulse width modulation similar to any VFD used in industry. In a VFD you'll have a rectifier to convert the three phase AC to DC and then an inverter (IGBT's) to ''chop'' it back up and make a sort of sinusoidal output. It's more of a square wave but you get the picture. The ESC's are the same concept except, obviously, instead of having a rectifier on the front end we just feed it with a battery and the IGBT's invert it to a PWM signal.
No, our ESCs are for the most part just DC. The only thing smoothing out the waveform is inductive properties of the coil. PWM is only used for power modulation. I've seen it on a scope and it is really pretty basic. At 100% full throttle the ESC is just turning coils on and off.

Inverters, IGBTs, VFD and AC drives and what-not are used in some of the true-size electric cars but not in RC. In RC the output isn't that sinusoidal.