Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Novak Brushless Waterproof?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 PM
BigTb17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novak Brushless Waterproof?

I have a Novak XBR 13.5 turn brushless system as well as a Havok w/8.5 and a Goat crawler brushless system. All the systems state that they are water resistant. Well, long story short, I've been getting tired of not driving my RCs just because of a little white stuff, so here are some pictures of the results (it was dark out, stupid working late, so the pictures aren't great, but you get the idea). Nothing was damaged or malfunctioned as a result of the following pictures. WARNING: I make no guarantee that your results will be similar. Drive in snow at your own risk!

The first picture is of my T4 with my XBR 13.5 system. I first tried to drive it with the almost bald tires that were on it and it wouldn't go anywhere. So I threw some tires off my crawler on it. It went great with those . It actually pulled the front tires up in the snow a couple times. Anyway, The only thing I did was tape a piece of plastic over the receiver (not sealed by any means, but would keep snow from piling up on it). Did nothing to protect the ESC, and as you can see in the picture, it is completely buried. You can see a little red light through the snow. Everything still works great. Using a cheapo Venom Li-po 2S. You actually can't see the receiver at all. It is buried under the small antenna tube opposite the ESC.

Then just for the heck of it, here is a pic of my Mini Desert Truck. It is totally stock. Nothing at all was done to protect the electronics. Using a 1750 2S Rhino Li-Po. At one point the truck stopped, and then would only creep forward, but before I could walk over to it it started working agian so I kept driving it, haha. It worked fine for the rest of the battery, and still works fine. It didn't get nearly as much snow under the body as the T4 did. The ESC/receiver was only partially covered, haha.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:15 PM
BigTb17

Default RE: Novak Brushless Waterproof?

I don't know if you can tell, but those were taken on different nights. The snow was fresh when I drove the Mini Desert Truck (in fact, it was still coming down pretty hard). I drove the T4 a couple days later.

Sorry I don't have any videos. I considered taking one, but it was almost completely dark. There are a few lights here and there, just enough to see what I'm doing. I knew any video I took with my small digital video camera would look terrible, if you could see anything at all. I've worked late every day this week so I haven't been able to actually drive them in the daylight.

I actually took my CR-O1 crawler out too (Novak Goat Brushless), but it barely got any snow on it because it sits pretty high, and doesn't really spin the tires quickly enough to kick very much up.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Redvanmafia

its defiantly not smart, i also don't understand how you get all that snow under your body?, do you put it there for show?, because i live in Canada where we have 2ft of snow and none of my trucks get covered that much, but w.e. nice man
Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

its defiantly not smart,
Hahaha. Yeah, probably not.

The electronics in the Mini Desert truck I couldn't care less about. They are the stock electronics and I've had my fun with them. I figured I would upgrade it eventually anyway, but I just haven't yet. I had some fun and didn't worry. Plus, it still has bushings, so water won't hurt those.

The T4 I will clean and lube once it dries. The ESC is rated water resistant, and I figured what good is a RC car you can never drive. The receiver was the only thing I was a bit worried about in the T4 and I covered it. I wouldn't drive in water like that, but the snow just sits on top and once I'm done I knocked the snow off.

Everything still works fine. I was just tired of never driving my RCs because I'm worried about this or that. I just decided to have fun and if something happens I'll deal with it. I'm willing to deal with any consequences that may arise.

Like I said, I make no guarantee of similar results. Drive in snow or otherwise wet conditions at your own risk.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:52 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

i would make sure to unplug your battery while its drying out. That way if any water seeps into this or that while its melting nothing will short out.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: kistner

i would make sure to unplug your battery while its drying out. That way if any water seeps into this or that while its melting nothing will short out.
I unplugged the battery and removed it right after taking the picture. Then I carefully knocked all the snow off and set it upside down over a towel on the tile in front of the fireplace .

That snow on the T4 was very powdery for the most part and basically fell off. It was barely wet at all.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

its defiantly not smart, i also don't understand how you get all that snow under your body?, do you put it there for show?, because i live in Canada where we have 2ft of snow and none of my trucks get covered that much, but w.e. nice man
I was surprised too. I definitely didn't put it there for show. When I saw how much snow was under the body I decided to take a picture before I shook it off. The snow I was driving in was about an inch or two deep and was very powdery. I think when turning at high speeds the front tires must have created a wake of snow that flowed right under the edge of the body. The outside of the body had virtually no snow on it at all, so I was a bit shocked when I drove up to my porch and looked under the body. I didn't realise it was getting that full of snow. But oh well, it was still working just fine. You can see from the lights on the ESC and the radio that I hadn't even shut it off yet.

When I was driving the Mini Desert Truck the snow was just a tad wetter and it just stuck to the outside of the body for some reason and kept building up as I drove. If I drove too slow the front tires would become huge snowballs. But it didn't get anywhere near as much snow under the body as the T4 did.