Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need a new truck..but what?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:49 AM
YXZ123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new truck..but what?

Hey guys, looking for a new truck. Not new to RC though.

I'm debating between a Traxxas E-Revo Brushless, or an HPI Savage Flux HP. As you can tell I want power, and brushless. I am a heavy basher, so strength is a huge bonus for me. I have been looking at the ERBE for a long time..but recently due to events on the traxxas forums, I am looking into HPI. The Savage looks tank. But what are the weaknesses?

Has anyone had experience with both? Or, what are the strength's/weaknesses..

any help appreciated, Thanks.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Need a new truck..but what?

ORIGINAL: YXZ123

I'm debating between a Traxxas E-Revo Brushless, or an HPI Savage Flux HP. As you can tell I want power, and brushless. I am a heavy basher, so strength is a huge bonus for me. I have been looking at the ERBE for a long time..but recently due to events on the traxxas forums, I am looking into HPI. The Savage looks tank. But what are the weaknesses?

I think that the flux would be better for you. The e-revo is a little lighter and faster than the flux, but it also isn't as durable. The Savage flux is based off of the nitro savage chassis.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
YXZ123

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I think that the flux would be better for you. The e-revo is a little lighter and faster than the flux, but it also isn't as durable. The Savage flux is based off of the nitro savage chassis.
I'm also weighing in the factor of not having a track here, well a decent one. There is one..but no one has really used it in about a year. The Savage Flux seems really good. I'm still looking it over. Is HPI good with customers, as in good customer service and if something goes wrong? It would be a whole new learning experience, coming from Traxxas to HPI.

Anyone know the biggest weaknesses in the Savage Flux? Kind of new to HPI, so I'm still wondering around.
Thanks guys.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
FairTax4me

I don't think the Savage Flux has any weaknesses.

You may find some more answers in the Monster truck forum. If I was looking for a MT, the Savage would be my fist choice. E Revo is cool and all, but I want an MT to run shtuff over with, not take corners.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:20 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

You may find some more answers in the Monster truck forum. If I was looking for a MT, the Savage would be my fist choice. E Revo is cool and all, but I want an MT to run shtuff over with, not take corners.
well there is a weakness was talking to the guys at the LHS who love savages about it.
the one plate has the tenancy to bend and HPI knows it they said they asked a rep about it. HPI's reply was use 2 Savage TVPs to stop the bending. which are readily available off ebay for $27 or so, then when asked why it wasn't sold stock they said ppl complain the price is too high already immagine the complaints when it would be raised $80... But thats in case you do heavy bashing like 15-20 foot high jumps(most savage owners forget the truck doesn't have wings, myself included) normal use it should be fine
Old 01-31-2010, 04:48 PM
YXZ123

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

well there is a weakness was talking to the guys at the LHS who love savages about it.
the one plate has the tenancy to bend and HPI knows it they said they asked a rep about it. HPI's reply was use 2 Savage TVPs to stop the bending. which are readily available off ebay for $27 or so, then when asked why it wasn't sold stock they said ppl complain the price is too high already immagine the complaints when it would be raised $80... But thats in case you do heavy bashing like 15-20 foot high jumps(most savage owners forget the truck doesn't have wings, myself included) normal use it should be fine
Lol. I am unsure of a truck that does have wings..I know my truck right now doesn't. So the Savage Flux is an overall good choice for a heavy basher? I love jumps..but maybe if I do bend it, I would look into that upgradeable part. I have never hit that big of a jump, 3 foot high with a 15 foot gap, with a 2WD truck! :P

The truck is cheaper, and I see on vids with a few lipos, the thing can really fly. How are the dog bones? I have heard mixed replies over those, as to if they are good or not.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

I have been debating between these two trucks for 6 months or so now!
of course I'm too poor to actually buy one, but if I were going to....I'd probably go flux.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol. I am unsure of a truck that does have wings..I know my truck right now doesn't. So the Savage Flux is an overall good choice for a heavy basher? I love jumps..but maybe if I do bend it, I would look into that upgradeable part. I have never hit that big of a jump, 3 foot high with a 15 foot gap, with a 2WD truck! :P

The truck is cheaper, and I see on vids with a few lipos, the thing can really fly. How are the dog bones? I have heard mixed replies over those, as to if they are good or not.
I've heard the same some people say they bust them in the 1st few days (HPI will replace them for free the 1st time) and buy a stronger one. Others say they had no issues. I guess it all depends how you drive it. Goes back the the ppl think it has wings thing seeing how insanely high they can fly, and usually drive away unscathed.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:18 PM
MarchieLad

what problems or events did you have on the traxxas forum to upset you.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Yosh70

For $20, you can get tcscrawlers 5mm chassis plates in a variety of colors....twice as thick as the stock ones.
And they probably have the lowest price on the Savage Flux than anyone else.

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/By-Truck-...p-1-c-296.html

Old 01-31-2010, 11:46 PM
YXZ123

ORIGINAL: MarchieLad

what problems or events did you have on the traxxas forum to upset you.
People..and issues to go with those people. Quite frankly, it's not worth my time anymore. As to why you want to know, is beyond me.

This has got me wondering, as I can't really go wrong with either of them. I have seen both of them bashed(on youtube) hard, and I think it is more money then anything, as to which to go to. I'm still deciding..both have my attention greatly, and both seem to have next to no weaknesses.

HPI is higher up right now, due to certain reasons..but hey, that's something else.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be worth your while to search around over at http://e-savage.com/forums/

It was originally started for the slightly smaller E-Savage, but they have a sub-forum for the Savage Flux. Some of those guys have probably also had E-Revo BLs.