Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
drive.hard-go.pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber

How many layers of carbon fiber cloth would be needed to make a 3-4mm thick carbon fiber part?

if you are wondering why i ask in this forum is because ill make a custom part for my buggy...
Old 02-05-2010, 02:03 PM
J.D.T

Default RE: Carbon Fiber

its not as easy as just bonding them together, you have to have heat and pressure to make it work right
Old 02-05-2010, 02:10 PM
drive.hard-go.pro

i have ordered a kit that includes everything... i just need to know how much CF cloth to order... how many layers CF cloth will make 3mm???
Old 02-05-2010, 08:35 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

its much easier to just buy a sheet of carbon fiber in the thickness ya want and fabricate from that
Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 PM
FairTax4me

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

its much easier to just buy a sheet of carbon fiber in the thickness ya want and fabricate from that
What he said. Then all you have to do is draw it and cut it out.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 AM
drive.hard-go.pro

nobody is really answering my question... CF sheet is flat shaped, the part has curves, i have done months of research before getting ready for it... i just need to know what i asked...
Old 02-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Kishon

have you ever seen a curved carbon fiber part? not really, it compromises structural integrity
Old 02-06-2010, 11:46 AM
genitor

Ok, I just did some quick research. Carbon fiber cloth can be bought in varying thicknesses. The company usually specifies the thickness so you should be able to use this info. to get a rough estimate of how much layers you will need. If the thickness is not stated i guess you can contact the company and get the info. from them.

Which part will you be making? I am really curious to see how it comes out.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:34 PM
jsmrc

ORIGINAL: genitor

Which part will you be making? I am really curious to see how it comes out.
im curious how hes making the mold
Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: Kishon

have you ever seen a curved carbon fiber part? not really, it compromises structural integrity
I care to disagree. I've seen plenty of curved carbon fiber parts. Have you even seen a race car?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 PM
carlsbad0331

When in college in Miami, I worked in the boat yards. I have laid more fiberglass and carbon fiber than should be legal. The fact that I can still breath is amazing to me.
Later in life (about when The Fast and the Furious came out), I started making interior car parts out of carbon fiber. I made stereo surrounds, glove box doors, entire dash boards, center consoles, etc. I made nearly $20k in 6 months (in my spare time) making parts for show cars...
If you think that you can buy a "kit", some carbon fiber material and start making parts with complex angles you have another thing coming. You might get away with making some flat pieces as long as they are small and you have a vacuum machine.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to send a PM. I have PLENTY of pics of parts I have made. I just dont have the time or patience to start making things again!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:08 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: carlsbad0331

When in college in Miami, I worked in the boat yards. I have laid more fiberglass and carbon fiber than should be legal. The fact that I can still breath is amazing to me.
Later in life (about when The Fast and the Furious came out), I started making interior car parts out of carbon fiber. I made stereo surrounds, glove box doors, entire dash boards, center consoles, etc. I made nearly $20k in 6 months (in my spare time) making parts for show cars...
If you think that you can buy a ''kit'', some carbon fiber material and start making parts with complex angles you have another thing coming. You might get away with making some flat pieces as long as they are small and you have a vacuum machine.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to send a PM. I have PLENTY of pics of parts I have made. I just dont have the time or patience to start making things again!
So you agree that carbon fiber can be made curvy?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 PM
OvalRacer99

Well, can't answer your question about how many layers are needed but to all those others, carbon fiber starts out life as a cloth, like the fabric your clothes are made of. If you have a form, you can make it form to any shape you want.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 PM
FairTax4me

Hoods, fenders, bumpers, spoilers, mirror housings... structural integrity has more to do with design and application than curved vs straight.

CF sheet is flat shaped, the part has curves, i have done months of research before getting ready for it... i just need to know what i asked...
You could have just said that in the first place and you may have received a more direct answer.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:59 PM
carlsbad0331

ABSOLUTELY... Ive made complex curved carbon fiber parts many times. The key is having a good mold, a good vacuum machine and knowing how to lay the cloth so that when it is stretched the fibers dont lose their strength.

Their are carbon kevlar race helmets all over the place. I wore one of these my last trip to Laguna Seca.
The Titan ADV will set the new standard in helmets. Extremely light due to a new Carbon Kevlar composite blend. The Titan ADV performs extraordinarily well in open wheel racing where proper aerodynamics are imperative. Comes complete with HANS clips and a removable liner for easy maintenance. Only $1100!!!

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: carlsbad0331

If you think that you can buy a ''kit'', some carbon fiber material and start making parts with complex angles you have another thing coming. You might get away with making some flat pieces as long as they are small and you have a vacuum machine.
So you agree that carbon fiber can be made curvy?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:18 AM
drive.hard-go.pro

basically i am going to use the CF to make a strengthening plate for my Brama 10B chassis because it always cracks right in front of the rear bulkhead... and btw... just for info... these are the kits for the [link=http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Laminating-Starter-Kit__CMCFLK300.aspx]Carbon Fiber[/link] and for the [link=http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Mould-Making-Kit__CMMMK750.aspx]mould[/link]

could not find the thickness but i will email them for more info and let you know

thank you for all the information...
as soon as my kit arrives and i make it i will post some pics...
Old 03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
drive.hard-go.pro

Ok i have just finished my project and here it is...
the result is pretty good, it is not perfectly comsetic but for a first time carbon making its pretty good and strong...

included in the pictures both stock and custom chassis...

tell me your opinions...

P.s: carbon chassis still needs to be trimmed and finished!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89453.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1392147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12762.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	1392148  
Old 03-06-2010, 12:51 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No it doesn't. That's the beauty of carbon fiber, its always strong (as long as it is bonded right).
Old 03-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Wow not bad at all man. Wish I could do something like that for my Emaxx or Slash hehe.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:01 PM
coxie1996
My Feedback: (3)

hey i know it doesnt have to do with the thread but could you consider making CF parts for my truck( 03 s-10 extreme) im 13 and just wanna know the prices for like CF engine parts and interior parts lmk thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 02:11 AM
FireFrenzy

I see alot of people refering to "just buying a board of CF" up near the start of the thread anyone have any links? i've got a drawing for a slash chassis i might build at somepoint but i haven't found anyone who doesnt want like "over nine thousand!!!!" dollar for a square foot and a half of 2.5 to 4 millimeter carbon fibre...
Old 03-07-2010, 04:54 AM
drive.hard-go.pro

one of the best websites (dont know if its the cheapest) is this: [link=http://www.robotmarketplace.com/store_carbon_fiber_faq.html]Robot Marketplace[/link]

to coxie: you can buy the kit and try it out on your own... this was my first trial with carbon fibre and turned out pretty good... its not the easiest thing in the world to achieve but im sure you'll get it right
Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 AM
coxie1996

ok thanks this will help alot. were i live people dont sell it and i dought some people have even heard of it. thanks for everything and if u know anything else please share it thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 10:07 AM
drive.hard-go.pro

btw the kit i used was this: [link=http://KIT]http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Laminating-Starter-Kit__CMCFLK300.aspx[/link]
Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 AM
coxie1996

ok thanks i just wanna get into this thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.