Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HELP!!!! Which is better?

Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Jgaff2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! Which is better?

HELP! Which is better performance for my Emaxx: Kershw designs twin 700Ho or titan 775. I want a new setup for my Emaxx, and I don't have the money to go brushless yet.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: HELP!!!! Which is better?

Well, its $90 for the kershaw conversion:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXYYD9**&P=ML

Or you can buy an ESC like this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8993

$59.95

And a motor similar to one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_Inrunner

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6678

$30

So, $90 for the brushed system(plus shipping) or $90 (plus $15 shipping and $8 for a pinion gear) for the brushless. Not a huge difference, and the brushless would be a much better, longer lasting setup.

Not to mention if you sold your brushed setup you have now, then it would be cheaper to go the brushless route.

Thats what I would do. I think I will eventually do something like this on my Associated MGT once i get it converted.

Eric
Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If those are the choices i'd say the 700HO's. I have them in my E-Revo and it's a blast. More torque than I know what to do with
Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The twin 700HOs, by a mile.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Jgaff2

Are they way faster and torqueyerthan the 775?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jgaff2

Are they way faster and torqueyer than the 775?

I have a friend that did the 775 conversion to a revo about a year ago. It was ok but I think he was dissapointed even if he didn't really say it. He sold the truck after just a few months. I did have a chance to watch it run twice and I can say my E-revo with the twin 700's is a lot faster and makes much more torque.

With the stock Kershaw gearing the revo will pull the front wheels at almost any speed if you crank down on the slipper. Let off then blip the throttle will put it on the rear wheels regardless of how fast it's going assuming it doesn't spin the tires.

If you want to stay water proof then go with the KD conversion. Just make sure you have some decent batteries. 2S 5000 mah 20C is good enough.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Jgaff2

Yea, I might just get the mamba monster, though when I save up enough money. It should be lighter, and with that I can run lipos and nimhs i think
Old 02-20-2010, 07:48 PM
FairTax4me

Castle specifically says not to use Nimh cells with the MMM. Just not enough power to back up the draw of the system. The voltage drop under load means the capacitors on teh board are put in nearly constant cycle and they overheat and explode.
The 775 I would think would be right at home running 20V+ and would make some serious power in that range, but batteries ain't cheap and neither is an ESC that will handle that kind of voltage.
I'd go 700HO. Even a single will really wake up the Maxx over the stock Titans.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:50 PM
FairTax4me

how the ... did I do that? double post.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Jgaff2

I see you live in Charlottesville. I live in Richmond! Yea, the onl prob I have with the 700's is that theyre heavy
Old 02-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just as a reference point, John and I were bashing with the same guy who had the E-Revo. He replaced the twin Titan 550s with the single 775 because the 550s were running so hot. With the gearing he had that day, he said it was slower than stock, but had a lot more torque. He was going to buy another pinion to get some of the speed back.

As it was, it was faster than a stock XL-5 Stampede. (which are pretty fast, IMO) It just didn't look as fast because it is so much bigger.

It is fast enough to be fun on rough offroad conditions, but not that impressive, speed-wise. It will probably run twice as long on a conservatively-geared 775 as it will on twin Kershaw HOs. You should also be able to run twin NiMH packs with no problems. So, as usual, it is a cost vs. benefit analysis that you'll have to do.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Jgaff2

Yea, I think for now I might just get the 775. Seems to have pretty good power and really good runtimes. Thanks for the info.!