Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash Transmission Rebuild ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 PM
birdman1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slash Transmission Rebuild ?

I am going to take apart my tranny on my slash 2wd and put some 10,000 weight in that Ibought at the LHS . I have heard and read that this will keep both wheels spinning when one looses traction . My question is , do Ineed to take the the rear end off the truck , the a arms . drive shafts , everything ???? I thought I would ask beforeI take the whole thing apart . Gonna check the Traxxas web site for a how to next !

Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Slash Transmission Rebuild ?

The diff on the Slash 2WD is not sealed. It will leak.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 PM
birdman1968

leakage is ok . i am pretty deep into it know. could not fInd any directions . just going for it . any pointers would be great .
Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 PM
dockman2

I would suggest taking the 10,000wt oil back and getting 100,000wt diff oil instead. The 10,000 is just too light to do much good and it will leak out. The 100,000wt gives much better diff action and dosnt leak out very easy.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 PM
birdman1968

Great thanks I willl get the thicker stuff for sure . Ihave everything but the tranny case itself taken apart now .

On the bottom of the tranny , where the skid plate is attached the factory put a piece of black and white tape . I pulled the tape off and low and behold , i can see the some of the gears on the differential . I guess this is an access hole to grease the gears in the tranny box, or to check for damage without takingthe trannny apart ??? Pretty big rectangular shaped hole about 1 Inch by 3/4 Inch . I suppose I will use some Gorrila Tape to seal it back up when Iam done putting oil in the diffential .

How about putting staight silicone sealer in the differential ??? I guess this would lock up the gears inside permanently ??? Damage everything ???
Old 02-17-2010, 11:42 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: birdman1968

Great thanks I willl get the thicker stuff for sure . I have everything but the tranny case itself taken apart now .

On the bottom of the tranny , where the skid plate is attached the factory put a piece of black and white tape . I pulled the tape off and low and behold , i can see the some of the gears on the differential . I guess this is an access hole to grease the gears in the tranny box, or to check for damage without taking the trannny apart ??? Pretty big rectangular shaped hole about 1 Inch by 3/4 Inch . I suppose I will use some Gorrila Tape to seal it back up when I am done putting oil in the diffential .

How about putting staight silicone sealer in the differential ??? I guess this would lock up the gears inside permanently ??? Damage everything ???
The tape is there to prevent dirt from entering, when you put everything back together, just put a new piece of tape over it. I used electric wire tape. You can grease the tranny through that hole there.

It is very easy to take apart the whole thing actually, just following the exploded view when putting it back and you will be fine.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 AM
jsmrc

my lhs doesnt carry anything higher then 10,000 wt. says that even the 1/8th scale buggies never run higher then a 7-10,000. so how come a smaller truck needs something as thick as 100,000 wt, which i cant seem to find locally.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont think you need the oil in the whole tranny, just in the diff with the planetary gears. thats what lets a wheel spin. its a white gear, with screws holding it together. inside of it are 4 small gears. i know cuase i once chewed these gears up by pulling wheelies just before hitting a speed bump with the rear tires only. the rustler would do a forward flip. after doing it 15-20 times the gears got busted. then when i pulled the throttle, the rustler would sometimes go strait and other times it would shoot of to the right or left! just add oil inside this componant and it will change the slippage amount allowed by the gears inside.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 PM
FairTax4me

The oil goes inside the differential. Transmission gears should be greased before reassembly.
Check out the exploded view on traxxas.com in the support section.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:45 PM
jsmrc

in case you didnt already have it...

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1500767
Old 02-18-2010, 03:52 PM
CarGuy7a

I tried using the Traxxas 30k diff fluid in mine with the stock diff. But it would leak out and make a gooey nasty mess inside the tranny. Now the thicker fluid you use, the less tendency it will have to leak. I liked the way the 30k weight fluid ran and reacted in the diff. I opted for the FLM sealed diff to help my leaking problem which works great by the way.

As for greasing the the diff ring gear, idler gear and top shaft gear, I use regular Valvoline wheel bearing grease.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 PM
birdman1968

Great , thanks for the input / advice . I found some 60,000 at the LHS . Gonna put that in the diff . and put heavy grease on the outiside gear teeth . Hoping this will make it run better on the loose dirt . It spins out to easy right now .
Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

alot of the guys in slash class are running plastic gears and black grease in the diff ... the gear swap make the truck alot more responsive to throttle input and it feels much snappier .. but these guys aren't out bashin em tho
Old 02-20-2010, 08:12 PM
dockman2

Steve Slayden from Traxxas suggest using 300,000wt diff oil to tighten up the diff for racing. Honestly I didnt have any so I went with the 100k and it worked well.You wouldnt run something that heavy in a 4wheel 1/8th scale because it would tighten it up so much you wouldnt get it to turn. The 100k made the diff nice and smooth, plus it really stops that inside tire from unloading in the turns.