Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

In your opinion what is the most bullet proof 4x4 out there?

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

In your opinion what is the most bullet proof 4x4 out there?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 PM
lacofdfireman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In your opinion what is the most bullet proof 4x4 out there?

I am starting to get back into this after many, many years away from RC Off Road cars... My 11 year old son is tired of Flying planes and wants to try something different... The thing I always hated about my RC truckwhich was when Traxxas came out with the first Nitro T-Maxx was First Nitro... Noisy and dirty, and Second every time we drove it it seemed to fall apart.. Every time you hit a jump even it it didn't get much air you broke an axle or stripped gears or something... We wanna get something we can play around with that is more durable.. He has been doing research and thinks the Slash 4x4 is a good one but I want to make sure we get the right car... We are not racers just backyard bashing will be our thing... We want Electric for sure and something durable.. In your opinion what is the best bang for the buck? We are looking to spend around like $500... Any opinions would be appreciated... And no we are not afraid to work on them but it would be nice to have an RC that didn't fall apart evertime we drive it...

One last thing.. Bigger the better for me.. 1/8th or 1/10scale if they are durable...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 PM
ludeman

Default RE: In your opinion what is the most bullet proof 4x4 out there?

Just get Rustler VXL's and be done with it. I know you would like 4x4 but the Slash is not ready for prime time yet IMO. It is a blast but you know what, so is my Rustler and if all you are doing is bashing believe me the rustler is hands down the most druable RC I have ever Owned! The Slash 4x4 has some issues you shoud read about first before you decide.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

I bet if you shoot just about any RC it'll break at least something. (get it? "bullet proof?" haha )

anyway, all RC's will have their weak spots, slash 4x4 is still new, so some of those don't quite have aftermarket support yet.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Savage FLux hands down!!! OR a little cheaper an E-Savage with Lipo batteries. Either way it's tough and FAST! and..BIG!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 PM
sheograth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Savage Flux is the way to go if you want a bulletproof electric. It's not perfect but it's close, and you can still hop it up with even beefier parts. The stock design is really great though.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 AM
rc theman

i say a stampede vxl, most people dont like it because it rolls too much but its cinda nice to have a challange, and the hopups are everywhere and it mostly "bulletproof", just the shock caps are weak and the new vr. comes with 2.4 and a 7-cell batterie.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:11 AM
Access

Where are you planning on driving the slash 4x4? For me it's worked out pretty well but it's best on loose dirt. Any of the other surfaces I run on, it's very touchy and not really as fun as the 'monster' trucks like the E-Revo, E-maxx, or Savage.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 AM
MTboy

I think here in a month or so you will be able to find every part for the slash 4x4 to make bulletproof for very little. Get it on towerhobbies and you will have $170 for lipos and charger at hobbyking..
For a MT, it's hands down savage flux. But will put you over the $500 range.
Have to agree with the Rustler being a great buy. Mine has taken everything I've done to it with no problems..
Old 03-02-2010, 03:05 PM
lacofdfireman

I really do want to stay under the $500 mark.. Also we plan on building a track and doing some racing but not any type of promoted races etc... Just fun stuff with the kid and I... But if my kid gets into it I want to have a truck that he and I could compete with also... Do the Monster trucks race also or are they mostly just for bashing?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
airwethead

There are no monster truck race classes at my track, others may vary. There ARE a ton of Short Course/Slash classes however. While the new 4x4 Slash is a bit of a new commodity, the 2x4 stock slash has proven itself to be pretty durable, not very expensive, and tons of fun. Its drawbacks are grass and really rough terrain, but it translates nicely into a race vehicle, or can be beefed up for ultimate bashing.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
hasek1616

yeah the after market slash 4x4 support is coming, rpm has some arms out and strc has even more if i remember right and its only gonna get bigger, plus youll have no problem finding a sc class
Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM
bronx boy

plain old stampede put some rpm suspesion parts a good front bumper and mip cvds i built one up for my godson when he was 4 years old it had a11 turn motor he was flying this thing into wood fences doing 30 mph the only thing to evev get out of wack was the motoe would loosen an i had to re tighten it up i still have it it is bullit proof he is 10 now im thinking of going down to a 9 turn and showing him what it can really do
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

The 1/8 Scale buggies are some of the most durable r/c's out there and should kick a 4x4 slash's but on the track. They are fast, handle extremely well, and are extremely tough. Just a great r/c all around. You can pick up the Ofna LX-1E for $200, and then with the electronics and batteries it should still be at or under $500.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYCA8&P=ML

Just another option. There are many good r/c's now though.

Eric
Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

the slash 4x4 is a way capable racer ... was finishing set up on mine .. doing battle with 2 electric 1/8 scales, and holding my own very well until all 4 stub axles bent on the triple. MIP will solve the bent axle problem, most likely very soon too. as far as durable that seems to be the only weak link on the slash 4x4. as the guys said above, the savage will kick butt for some serious bashing tho!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

the slash 4x4 is a way capable racer ... was finishing set up on mine .. doing battle with 2 electric 1/8 scales, and holding my own very well until all 4 stub axles bent on the triple. MIP will solve the bent axle problem, most likely very soon too. as far as durable that seems to be the only weak link on the slash 4x4. as the guys said above, the savage will kick butt for some serious bashing tho!!!
The 4X4 PE wont hold a chance stock against the Ofna Hyper 10SC and the Jammin SCRT10. No comparison
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: MCSRacing

The 4X4 PE wont hold a chance stock against the Ofna Hyper 10SC and the Jammin SCRT10. No comparison

ummmm dunno ... had no problem dueling with a Ve8 and a rc8e ... but i'm sure its mostly driver .. but i will say its hooked up like its on carpet, has no body roll and jumps like a dream. but its all in the set up!! .. we got a couple of the ofna sc trucks running, they're no prob at all. when they get to the point its to rough for the 4x4, i'll finish off the 8ight sc conversion, just don't think it would be able to run any where else though.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 PM
JUCD VPR

I can't believe no one else has suggested the E-Savage?

If the Savage Flux is over your budget then the next best thing (in my opinion) in the E-Savage. I've owned my E-Savage for 5 years now and it's the longest truck i've owned, simply because it's AWESOME! It takes beating after beating and keeps coming back for more!! Plus it's fast (I have S-600 Super Fly motors so mine is even faster) and this is on some cheapo 6 ell 3300 NIMH batteries. I'm about to finally but some 50 dollar 2S lipo's for it from Hobbyking, So you can get an E-Savge with Lipo's for like $400.00 total, I don;t know anything that is as tough and as fast for $400 bucks and looks as cool as it does. I've owned just about every Rc out there (I have not owned a slash yet though) but i've seen a buddy of mine run his, looks like a good truck but nothing like an e-savage from what i've seen (i'm in no way putting down the slash).

Buy the E-Savage trust me you will be happy, then go to hobbyking and buy 2 - 2S lipo 5800 batteries for 60 bucks shipped to your door, for $400.00 you have an awesome truck, that looks great, very fast, 4X4 , and tough as nails like your wanting. You won't be disappointed.

I would however say that it is worth the extra $ if you buy the Savage FLUX, just sayin......haha
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 PM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: bronx boy

plain old stampede put some rpm suspesion parts a good front bumper and mip cvds i built one up for my godson when he was 4 years old it had a11 turn motor he was flying this thing into wood fences doing 30 mph the only thing to evev get out of wack was the motoe would loosen an i had to re tighten it up i still have it it is bullit proof he is 10 now im thinking of going down to a 9 turn and showing him what it can really do
He wants 4x4, so I do not suggest the Stampede since it is only 2 WD. HOWEVER it's a GREAT little truck and tough as heck. I have a Stampede XL-5 with an E-Savage motor on it running 8 cell 4500MAH NIMH battery and it is really fast and takes a beating but mine is upgraded with almost all RPM parts. However the 2WD limits what you can do and where you can go so thats the downside.