Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

mamba max vs. mamba max PRO

Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
ChuckDeez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mamba max vs. mamba max PRO

Why is the Mamba max pro much more cheaper when it is a successor of the mamba max? wouldn't it be just the opposite?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Default RE: mamba max vs. mamba max PRO

Hmm interesting....I thought it was just me, but I noticed this too. Maybe we should be asking Castle? hehe.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Access

Volume production coupled with an inefficient distribution chain can mean that even a small change in the manufacturer's price can equate to a large one as seen by the end customer. For instance if a typical retail distribution path (+75%/+43%/+60%) might mean the manufacturer sells a $20. item to the distributor for $35.00, who then sells it to the retailer for $50., and then the retailer sells it to you for $80. If the next iteration of that product can be manufactured for $15., this $5. in cost saving can translate to a lot more in the price the end customer pays if you follow the same profile for the inefficiency in the distribution chain. In the above example, $15->26.25->$37.53->$60.05.

In short, a price cut of $5. by the manufacturer cut the price the consumer sees by almost $20. The other main factor is that as a company designs more and more products, if designed well those products can share common components so the overall pricing becomes cheaper. Due to volume buying and that manufacturing inefficiencies go down as volume goes up.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

they are like technology things... get cheaper and cheaper.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Well, the old one is still for sale, and it's selling for about $3-5 more than the Mamba Max Pro on the same website. Doesn't make sense, why would anyone buy the older one if the new one does everything better and is a few dollars cheaper. Hmm....
Old 03-10-2010, 12:22 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

If you read the description about the Mamba Micro Pro it kind of talks about it. It says that the new and improved Micro Pro took the place of the Mamba-25 and has a lot more stuff, yet is offered at the same price because manufacturing is becoming cheaper. It's like any form of electronics. Look how expensive some of the electronics from a few years ago was, yet today you get a lot more advanced product for the smae price and sometimes even cheaper.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I get that, obviously it gets cheaper to manufacture the same technology as time passes due to many factors. I was referring to the fact that the older Mamba Max combo is still selling for the old higher price, while the new PRO systems and ESC are cheaper. In that sense, I meant who would by the old stuff anymore. They should reduce the price on clearance or something and get rid of them that way.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: ctwitty
If you read the description about the Mamba Micro Pro it kind of talks about it. It says that the new and improved Micro Pro took the place of the Mamba-25 and has a lot more stuff, yet is offered at the same price because manufacturing is becoming cheaper. It's like any form of electronics. Look how expensive some of the electronics from a few years ago was, yet today you get a lot more advanced product for the smae price and sometimes even cheaper.
Yeah basically if you physically take apart their mamba monster, mamba max pro, and mamba micro pro, I'll bet they're using a lot of the same components (mosfets, microcontrollers, etc.) So again volume pricing for those parts. The mamba max was their first-generation 1/10th scale ESC so it might use older parts.

Another thing that can happen if you work in the engineering world is parts get end-of-lifed so you sometimes can't build or old design or have to pay even more for those parts on the 'gray market'. The lifecycle for a lot of the new type parts can be 2-3 years or less.