Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

BL system for slash..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:39 AM
MTboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BL system for slash..

To be honest I'm lost..lol
I've been reading several forums and found people talking about 7.5T-3.5T, most talking about the 4.5T. So I get the ballistic 5.5T and now am hearing that I wont be able to gear low enough to keep it cool. I should have got the HV models..[:@] But don't want to give up the room for the 550 size. So I'm stuck sending it back when I get it and trying to figure out what size to get. Looking at the Ballistic 13.5T now but unless I found some info on it I may just wait for the HV to get in stock..
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Dude, stop worrying. There is a video of a 3.5R being run in a monster truck but geared super low. That said, it's not practical.

SO just get the 5.5 and be SET. You can gear it up or down and have lots of flexibility. Unless you're racing you shouldn't have any issues with heat.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:12 AM
MTboy

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

Dude, stop worrying. There is a video of a 3.5R being run in a monster truck but geared super low. That said, it's not practical.

SO just get the 5.5 and be SET. You can gear it up or down and have lots of flexibility. Unless you're racing you shouldn't have any issues with heat.
LOL!!
It's just some are saying they wouldn't even run a 5.5T in a 2wd slash.. I just don't have money to waste..lol Heavy stress going on over here..lol
Also will be racing on our track at home..
Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't

lol
Old 03-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Hehe. Relax man. If you haven't already bought the motor, play it safe. Here's the thing, if it's too slow then you'll always wonder if you should have bought a faster one. So just get a 7.5. Try it out. If it's not too fast or if it's too fast and hot, change the stator out with another one from Novak. E.g. 5.5 or 8.5, and voila instant new motor.

With any of those motors you shouldn't see too many problems. Remember you can always gear down a couple of teeth if heat's a problem.

I think what we have here is information overload. Just check your parachute and jump already!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:55 PM
MTboy

LMAO!!! Way to much info..lol
Should have just listened and done it instead of ordering then looking around.. But I did it and even went further. Today I ordered a HV5.5T as well..lol Wife dont know yet but I figure I got it all covered now..lol
Old 03-13-2010, 04:10 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Geez crazy man. So you ordered the 5.5? Ok you'll be fine. Start it geared low, not sure what stock gearing is but try something 3-4 teeth lower and let'r rip. Keep an eye (or hand) on motor/esc/batt temps every 5 minutes during your initial runs to gauge the heat. Step up or down or none according to that with your gearing.

God help you with the wife. Try hiding the HV motor (over kill btw haha but hey you now have an excuse to get an E-Maxx) in the smaller 5.5's box....
Old 03-13-2010, 06:35 AM
MTboy

Well I figured with the ballistic 5.5T and the HV5.5T I would have everything covered..lol Also will have an extra for future use.
The MMP and ballistic should be here tuesday and the HV thursday. I will run the ballistic and see how it does first. If I can't gear low enough then I will swap out to the Hv and go with that and have the ballistic for the Rustler. Either way it's a win win..
Just have to make sure to kiss alot of butt this weekend with the wife and I should be good to go..lol
Old 03-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

bring that bad boy down here! I want to see it! lol
Old 03-13-2010, 01:52 PM
MTboy

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

bring that bad boy down here! I want to see it! lol
Get something set up and I'm there..lol
Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 AM
ausjethro

ORIGINAL: MTboy

Been reading up on different systems for the slash and see that theres alot of different choices.. I'm wanting one that will last and give me cool temps on 2-3s. I'm not a huge speed guy but would like top speed of 40mph. If more no biggie but I don't seem to ever use top speed for bashing or running on tracks. Also not sure if I like having to use a computer to program.
I've been thinking a novak system but what one would work best for me?
Mambas are nice but the programing issue and I hear they run hot.
What about the Xcelorin BL system?

This will be my first non Ezrun system so help me out and learn me..lol
Thanks guys..
I initially put a VXL 3500kv combo in my 2WD slash as my first B/L conversion on stock gearing without any issues in terms of both temperature and performance but felt the need for a little more grunt so i put a Losi Xcelorin 4800kv motor and EZrun 80amp ESC,stock spur gear and 21t pinion-it is quick,still handles well and the temps are within the acceptable range(ESC has a built-in fan).I also tried a Sidewinder 5700kv combo but the temps were up a fair bit and it was a little unmanageable although very fast in a straight line.IMO,if you want 3s performance and cool temps,stay around the 3000-3500kv motor range and play around with your gearing until you find the"sweet spot"
ausjethro
Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Redvanmafia

id just run a sidewinder
Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 AM
djr01974

I'm running a c.c sidewinder 4600kv in mine with a 16 pinion and stock spur gear. Haven't had any issues with heat and it flies.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
MTboy

I decided on the MMP and HV5.5T with a 15T-17T pinion. Not sure what one yet but should be good to go for temps.
One guy hit 66mph with 20/54 on 3s with no temp issues, I should be good to go on 2s with plunty of speed for a track..