Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

E-converted Jammin .5 CRT

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default E-converted Jammin .5 CRT

Well my new project has been just about finished (easiest so far) which is a Nitro Jammin .5 CRT Pro converted into electric.
I was looking for something that would put my 8.5t Hobby wing brushless to good use seeing everything else I put it in has been either torn up or completely uncontrollable.

Well anyways down to the parts list
1 1/12th scale Jammin .5 CRT Pro edition with extended chassis kit(found on ebay in a sealed box for $130 shipped)
1 RCmonster.com conversion kit (tranny plate) ($35 shipped)
1 Stampede chassis for a battery box ($10 shipped)
1 Stampeded hold down set (So I had 2 bars to hold the battery) ($6 shipped)
3X mod 1 3mm bore pinions from a Jamin SCRT 10- 12tooth, 14tooth, 16tooth ($10 each)
1 Hobbywing 8.5t 60a esc combo
2 bearings to use as spacers for motor

Total I spent approx $195 shipped not including the BL motor/esc, RX, and $10 futaba 4004 servo

The pics are from after the trial run. This thing is FAST, stable, and very controllable at full throttle. Last trial run I did I was running it for 5 minutes at full throttle with the 14toth gear and the motor and ESC were not even warming up in the slightest.
I popped the 16 tooth on after I brought it in put spacers on the motor cause the pinions were having issues fitting on properly with the motor flush to the plate.
I'll be honest I am going to look for a 18tooth gear, or maybe put some bigger tires and rims on this seeing its running so cool I can probably take it up a quite a few notches before heat becomes an issue.

I had only two issues one was I had during the build was the screws on top of the stampeded chassis where the clips go were rubbing the body and pushing it out when I trial fitted it so I cut them down a little bit, and I'm going to put some duct tape on the body inside so it doesn't rub the paint off. The other issue was getting the bottom clips out to swap batteries so I took my dremel and grounded down the plastic so I can just swing them without having to pop off the 2 lower clips

The body is not yet painted seeing I'm waiting for the florescent yellow paint to come in to paint it the same color as the wing and rims.

Run time 10-15 mins at full throttle dropped my lipo to 4volts per cell from 4.2 v a cell so I'm estimating 40+ minutes runtime normal.

Also I did NOT mount the ESC crooked. The double sided tape I used that came with the Traxxas hold down kit isn't holding it down very well and it came loose right before I took the pic. I am going to look for some better tape when I get around to it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40813.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1399627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58377.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1399628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98290.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1399629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49768.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1399630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17277.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1399631  
Old 03-16-2010, 06:39 PM
HandyRacing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-converted Jammin .5 CRT

Good for you. Well done.

I totally agree the nitro CRT.5 makes an excellent platform for conversion. Our first was with an RC-Monster conversion mount. Our second will be with a new RCProductDesigns conversion kit...

Here is the vid from our test run #1

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaqnC9E4YAw[/youtube]

(yes, we over did it some on power)
Old 03-16-2010, 07:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

wow you got it wheeling, yea think you went a tad over the power

and agree about the excellent platform its built really damn solid, I can't believe it didn't catch on and become more popular.

your build gave me an idea about the ESC mount I think I'll go cut a piece of aluminum to the size of the center diff's holder as a replacement, and mount the ESC on that seeing my wires are JUST long enough to reach. I was originally going to mount it there but the holes wouldn't give it good adhesion, and for some reason I didn't think at all about making a custom plate.

looked up the rcproduct design kit tad bit expensive IMO but looks like a neat idea suspending the motor over the drive shaft for the rear

hmm or I could bolt the battery tray on the tranny and put the ESC on the side opposite the motor to try and balance it out more, but that might raise the COG too high hmm decisions decisions
Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM
HandyRacing

We put our RCPD kit together but our tires are ground to nothing and we need new wheels, so we haven't taken any pics yet.

The saddle pack battery of Dan's design helps with the balance, and his "beef" strength is track proven tough.

We race his E-8th kits...

My son tore up running his CRT.5 on a dirt oval last year, I'm surprised too that it hasn't caught on..

More later, and again - well done.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

well I moved the battery to the center
Was alot easier than I thought and I re-laid out the electronics.
It raised the COG a tad bit (seeing the battery was already standing vertically) BUT it centered the weight. When I was trying it the truggy flipped a few times when I was turning it on the side the battery was on. I'm actually estimating it will flip less with the battery in its new position. Also now wit the battery up the ESC and everything is mounted solidly to the chassis
The battery tray is also on there pretty solidly I was going to make a brace in the back but I couldn't budge it as it is now so I changed my mind. Also it is still easy to access the pinion and motor mount screws to do adjustments (which I was kind of worried about)
Other bonus is the body doesn't rub against anything and has a bit of clearance now unlike before/

Name:	Db85598.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1399719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27315.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1399720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx59951.jpg
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1399721  
Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: HandyRacing

We put our RCPD kit together but our tires are ground to nothing and we need new wheels, so we haven't taken any pics yet.

The saddle pack battery of Dan's design helps with the balance, and his ''beef'' strength is track proven tough.

We race his E-8th kits...

My son tore up running his CRT.5 on a dirt oval last year, I'm surprised too that it hasn't caught on..

More later, and again - well done.
The tires lasted more than one run with that kind of power?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
vpower

nice!!! is it a 1/8th scale? if it is that is definitly pure power under that hood
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

nope 1/12th
the BL systems rated for 1/10th
and like I said that thing isn't even getting warm after 10 mins of running full throttle
Old 03-17-2010, 01:43 AM
Mufasa_719

This is where im in deep frustraition with myself. In one hand im thinking os18TZ in the other im thinking conversion. One thing that says nitro is I dont have any LIPOs or a charger for them. The thing that screams BL is the massive power quiet ease of use. man wish I had more money lol
Old 03-17-2010, 07:58 AM
93dabeast
My Feedback: (1)

i agree with Mufasa. i already have my 18tz in my jammin. all im missing is a receiver. but seeing them with a bl setup is making me want to convert. damnit i had 2 of these too lol.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

yea only reason I got it was I had a BL system sitting here with lipos that were screaming USE ME!
Ordered the BL for another project but it totaled that. snapped the rear end off, and turned the diffs to plastic goop on NiMh before my lipos even got here on the 1st project...
than made another RC just for it but due to the gearing it couldn't get any traction past 1/10th throttle(and it would blow its dogbones after a few seconds), a similar rig to the one I made (should have the same gearing) goes about 25-30 on a 35t brushed motor at its lowest gearing [X(]
this on the other hand runs pretty nice and I hope that moving the battery up-top reduces is flipping, I'm going to try it in a hour with the change
Old 03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Mufasa_719

SyCo- with an extra BL and lipos the choise is clear. Lucky you

I have a hyper12 in mine moves ok but an 18tz would really fit the bill here
Old 03-17-2010, 01:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

yea well the BL setup cause a bit of an issue today during test seeing I only got to run 2 minutes before breaking something
clipped a piece of concrete. BTW it flips from the COG being moved high, but its easier to control unlike before with the battery on one side seeing its now more balanced. btw flips at 100% throttle offroad, around 75% its fine (I know its not recommended to turn at 100% throttle)

bent the top front right tie rod and lost the pin that held the plastic piece on. Decided to take one of the spare plastic pin holders and drill through it and use my spare MT1 phillips head threaded axel's and screw it in so it will never come off again I had to cut like 3 mm's off the end of it so it wouldn't hit the steering post but this should be a way stronger fix than the stock. Now I hope I can find a similar screw for the bottom ones in case they ever fall out.
attached shows the new stronger addition

Name:	Zw69457.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1400062  
Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

nice setup. i had the crt .5 with the os 18tz in it and it flat out flew.
sold that and got the hyper mini ste with a c/c 4600 system and it was too fast for our track(and too small for me) so i put the 4600 in my slash and it's perfect.
now the hyper mini ste just sit's waiting for a new owner lol.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: fourwheels0

nice setup. i had the crt .5 with the os 18tz in it and it flat out flew.
sold that and got the hyper mini ste with a c/c 4600 system and it was too fast for our track(and too small for me) so i put the 4600 in my slash and it's perfect.
now the hyper mini ste just sit's waiting for a new owner lol.
wow never saw the hyper mini looks pretty decent

Well anyways tried it with the modifications I had to make with a 16tooth pinion. motor started to get a little warm after about 8 mins of straight up speed runs. Also think the flipping I had earlier was a fluke cause I turned it going damn fast and it didn't flip. think I might go back down to the 14tooth though seeing the speed increase was marginal
Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

got the paint and painted it
kinda upset misread the paint i ordered thought it was florescent yellow turns out it was parma calls fasecent yellow (a damn bright yellow with metallic flakes like silver has), and the color I wanted was fasflourecent yellow. Ohh well I ran with the paint I got its close enough

Honestly you can see the difference in yellows but I'm not too upset I think it came out damn sharp looking with the yellow I got. I will say just like I find with silver it was kind of a pain in the ass to paint with and needed a good amount of coats(6-7) to get and even color, unlike alot of the normal solid color paints that coat well with a few (2-3) coats.

I'm tempted to change the wing anyways seeing I think it looks kinda small. I have some black HB lightning GT10 wings I got a few weeks back cheap laying around that I can slap on if I feel like it.

Name:	Tr51122.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1400417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36444.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1400418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63327.jpg
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1400419  
Old 03-18-2010, 01:13 AM
ludeman

Looks great! How does it handle with the battery like that?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:54 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

better than it did when it was on the side seeing its more balanced. It was flippin pretty easy when making right turns with the battery on the side.
I thought that raising the battery would royally fling off its COG, but than I thought about how the COG was already pretty high and thrown to one side due to it being mounted vertically already.
So now its just centered. But oddly it doesn't seem to flip at high speed very easy with the battery so high. During its trial today in the street it was actually just power sliding at around 80%ish throttle, now if I go try to turn at full speed it will flip, but all my RC's will so its not an issue.

I really gotta thank HandyRacing I wanted to mount the battery like that originally, ran through 4-5 different insanely complex designs before I just slapped it vertically, but till I saw his video of the metal plate bolted to the top of the tranny case that had some of the electronics mounted, it never dawned on me to just replace the tranny's top plate with the battery tray
Old 03-18-2010, 02:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

1st real run totaled steering servo thing just clicks and grinds. Teaches me to use a Futaba 4004 that I had laying around...

ordering a Hitec 645MG just now. hope it comes for next week so I can take it to the track
Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 PM
HJJFFFAA

That chassis will stop being pretty very fast.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

lol its already scratched up
and the front bumper has some nicks already

my neighbor hoods like an offroad course my streets in worst shape than most gravel roads out in the sticks
Old 03-18-2010, 07:32 PM
HJJFFFAA

Same with my street. Now it's scratched up everything on my CRT .5. You should do the Jato/1/8th scale buggy front shock install. It'll be much better damped and will stop it from bottoming out so much. Especially the front.